Seiki SE65UY04 4K LED TV gone black

imaginenewmedia
New User

Dec 26, 2017, 4:17 PM

Post #1 of 13 (3398 views)
Shortcut
Seiki SE65UY04 4K LED TV gone black Can't Post

Seiki SE65UY04 4K LED TV gone black

The problem started when the right third of the screen went dim. This lasted for a few days when the right two thirds went dim and suddenly after that the whole screen went black.

Sound and inputs work, flashlight test shows an image, so I'm thinking my LED power supply might be shot.

I opened up the unit, and I dont see any burn marks, bulging caps, or anything unusual. There are six conductors coming out of the power supply (inverter) board into a hole in the back panel, (to feed the LED's I suppose) white, black, blue and three red. There was 184 volts dc on the reds (which I thought was high, but I've never serviced tv's before). I didn't see any significant dc voltages on the white, blue or black leads. Everything was measured referenced to the backplate.
I don't know where to go from here, other than start checking the components on the inverter board. I don't know what voltages should be expected on the board, or even really how it's supposed to work.

Grateful for any ideas.
Thanks
Andy

jts1957
Veteran

Dec 26, 2017, 6:16 PM

Post #2 of 13 (3388 views)
Shortcut
Re: [imaginenewmedia] Seiki SE65UY04 4K LED TV gone black [In reply to] Can't Post

Power board connectors seem to be labeled.
LEDs inside the panel can and do fail.

-------------------------

imaginenewmedia
New User

Dec 26, 2017, 7:14 PM

Post #3 of 13 (3382 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Seiki SE65UY04 4K LED TV gone black [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the prompt response. The power supply connectors are generally labelled with voltages etc. but this one is only marked 'LED' (or maybe that's referring to the unpopulated component on the board.) See image below.

Is 184v a typical voltage for LED drivers?
Also, it seems odd that the LED's would all fail at more or less the same time, still, stranger things have happened!

(This post was edited by imaginenewmedia on Dec 27, 2017, 6:13 PM)

jts1957
Veteran

Dec 26, 2017, 7:56 PM

Post #4 of 13 (3377 views)
Shortcut
Re: [imaginenewmedia] Seiki SE65UY04 4K LED TV gone black [In reply to] Can't Post

CN 2, 3, and 6 are well labeled. CN4 should be able to trace back to one of two sets of electrolytics, which engineers don't like to exceed their marked voltage rating.
Lots of LEDs are wired in series.

http://assets.shopjimmy.com/...890-pfo-1903-top.jpg

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Dec 26, 2017, 8:00 PM)

imaginenewmedia
New User

Dec 26, 2017, 8:59 PM

Post #5 of 13 (3370 views)
Shortcut

Thanks, I'm thinking the power supply might be ok, but if the LED's are wired in series like Xmas lights, when one goes, all the lights in that chain will go out.
I suspect (may be wrong) that there are three chains here, with a 184v lead going to each.

I'll also check that maybe the inverter board hasn't failed high, causing the LED's to burn out.

Next problem is how to get the chassis off! I've successfully diconnected the 4 ribbon cables from the t-con board going to the LCD driver modules (if that's what they're called), but not sure how to get those driver boards separated from the chassis as they are mounted on brackets which are attached to the chassis.
I assume that these 'driver boards are integral to the display and are not removable. (unless the ribbon cables can be removed, but i don't think that,s likely)
I'll keep googling, but if you have any more advice it would certainly be appreciated!
Thanks,
Andy

jts1957
Veteran

Dec 26, 2017, 9:47 PM

Post #6 of 13 (3365 views)
Shortcut

That's two ...

imaginenewmedia
New User

Dec 26, 2017, 10:44 PM

Post #7 of 13 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Ha ha Broken pitcher...I get it. I guess my imgur links aren't coming through.

imaginenewmedia
New User

Dec 27, 2017, 12:01 AM

Post #8 of 13 (3360 views)
Shortcut

Hopefully this works!

jgtime
New User

Dec 27, 2017, 5:46 PM

Post #9 of 13 (3350 views)
Shortcut

All signs are pointing to bad led strips...

I suggest investing in a LED strip tester, found at Shop Jimmy or Ebay.

Pull apart the tv down to the strips, taking photos as you go.
With a tester, you will find which strips are bad and can replace from there.

Note - Only order the strips by the model number shown on the strip. Do not order strips based on the "tv" model number as shown on the back of the tv.

Good Luck

imaginenewmedia
New User

Dec 27, 2017, 6:10 PM

Post #10 of 13 (3347 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jgtime] Seiki SE65UY04 4K LED TV gone black [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks. I got her all stripped down (removed all boards, cables etc. taking pictures as i went.
I flipped her over and removed the bezel and took the screws out and removed the internal plastic bezel that interfaces the back panel to the glass display and outer bezel (not sure if I needed to do that)
the bottom of the display with the driver boards and ribbon cables was king of stuck to the back panel, so i've been finessing them and finally got them loose ready to lift the glass panel off. I'll wait till my girlfriend is around tomorrow as it's a two person job for a 65" panel. I've been using rubber gloves to keep fingerprints off.
I was able to lift the panel with a suction cup (actually a tool for pulling dents out of car bodies) ,then lift the diffuser/polarizer panels and view the LED's

I'm guessing the tester is a constant current type of device that applies enough voltage to drive a nominal current regardless of how many are in series? They have one on amazon, I'll probably order that. I'm still concerned about the 184volts on the LED supply, and that maybe some components on the inverter board are shot.
Well if it all comes to nought, at least I've learned a hell of a lot!

jts1957
Veteran

Dec 27, 2017, 9:10 PM

Post #11 of 13 (3340 views)
Shortcut

Remember, if even only one LED is bad, ALL have the same number of hours.
Don't forget to reduce back light intensity to increase the replacements lifespan.

imaginenewmedia
New User

Dec 31, 2017, 5:30 PM

Post #12 of 13 (3302 views)
Shortcut

Ok got it all opened up

It looks like three banks of five vertical strips, each with 10 led's.
I did order an LED tester, but I don't think I'll need it as I was able to light up each individual LED with the diode setting on my fluke.

I found one dead diode in each of two of the banks, and two dead diodes in the third. That would explain everything going black.

I cant seem to find the LED strip number in Shopjimmy

CRH-M6535351015310BREV1.1 (if I'm looking at the right number)

but it would probably not be cost effective to replace all of them.

I wouldn't mind having a shot at replacing the individual diodes (Yeah I may have to do this on a regular basis as the tv is over 3 yrs old and the others may be ready to fail, but I'm retired and have time on my hands )
Is there any way to identify the individual diodes? I did pop the cap off one but I don't see any markings. Is there a source for these surface mount diodes?

Thanks again,
Andy
Smile

jts1957
Veteran

Dec 31, 2017, 8:18 PM

Post #13 of 13 (3299 views)
Shortcut

BR-DL-1 gives more Google results (Since strips are being run vertically, they are concerned with them fitting the height of the panel). Can also try searching by the PANEL number.
The (remaining Good) LEDs on the defective strip that you replace with the replacement strip could then become your source of LEDs for rest of set.
Mouser & Digikey also sell individual LEDs if you can determine the size & ratings you require.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.21 s on (CGI/1.1)