Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Sharp 25K-S100 Convergence Issues

amponzi
New User

Dec 27, 2004, 10:39 PM

Post #1 of 6 (1538 views)
Shortcut
Sharp 25K-S100 Convergence Issues Can't Post

Hi everyone, I have a Sharp 25K-S100 CRT Television unit and I will show you in the picture below, there's a pretty annoying convergence issue in the corners, mainly the upper-left corner (where also a purple patch [on white screens] is developing.

Picture Link (http://web.njit.edu/...files/sharpissue.jpg)
Note: This does happen during regular TV watching, not just through video games... this just seemed to give the best image of what the problem is
I was wondering a few things since I read the sci.electronics.repairs FAQ and figured I'd ask:

1) Is this easily repairable through a simple adjustment or do parts need replacing?
2) Where is this "yolk" that they make reference too that you physically need to adjust?
3) Can this adjustment be done while the television is on?
4) Which ring magnets do I need to adjust in order to get this working properly?

Thanks everyone in advance!

(This post was edited by amponzi on Dec 27, 2004, 10:40 PM)

shadetree
Veteran

Dec 28, 2004, 12:57 AM

Post #2 of 6 (1529 views)
Shortcut
Re: [amponzi] Sharp 25K-S100 Convergence Issues [In reply to] Can't Post

replace capacitors around vertical output ic

mel
Veteran

Dec 28, 2004, 1:00 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1528 views)
Shortcut

Your primary complaint is a purity problem although I do see signs of misconvervence as well. It could be that the CRT just needs to be degaused but I more suspect that the yoke may have slipped on the neck of the CRT. The "yoke" is the coil thing that sits up against the base of the tube. The purity/convergence magnets are directly behind it. Check the main board for a component that looks like zinc slug with a wire welded to each side of it. If it is intact, your degausing circuit is probably OK. If not, replace it and when you next turn the set on it will automatically degause the CRT and should solve your problem. Next, check the yoke to see that it is snug against the rubber spacers on the base of the CRT. If not snug, push it forward til snug and check purity. If that doesn't fix it or if it already snug, you are best to leave further adjustments to a professional with the proper test equipment because to do a proper job of adjusting the purity and convergence requires the use of a color bar generator. You might also want to check out www.FreeFlatScreens.com/?=10948674 for an opportunity to earn a free replacement for this set with a little effort on your part.

shadetree
Veteran

Dec 28, 2004, 1:03 AM

Post #4 of 6 (1528 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shadetree] Sharp 25K-S100 Convergence Issues [In reply to] Can't Post

that reply was not to this question they are having troubles looks like shadow mask in crt has slipped no repair

amponzi
New User

Dec 28, 2004, 2:40 AM

Post #5 of 6 (1522 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Sharp 25K-S100 Convergence Issues [In reply to] Can't Post

At this point, I was told by someone else that it would be only a temporary fix even if it worked and it would be very dangerous to perform considering I've never worked on a television before. I did do a manual degauss using a degaussing coil with the result being the same except it temporarily removes that purple color patch. Is what he said true? And how much do you think a repair shop would charge for this type of labor? Thanks in advance.

(This post was edited by amponzi on Dec 28, 2004, 2:44 AM)

mel
Veteran

Dec 29, 2004, 12:54 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1509 views)
Shortcut

If the repairs are done completely and properly, they should be more than temporary. Since the manual degausssing cleared up the purple spot, it appears that your degaussing circuit needs repairs. Degaussing is only good as long as the set is not moved after the degaussing. Convergence is not particularly dangerous if you are careful not to touch any exposed circuitry but you can still only do a cursary job without the proper equipment. Costs will vary depending on your local economy but in this area, paying for repairs on anything less than a 27" set is not considered as cost effective as opposed to the price of a new set.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)