Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Sony KV-27V15 Dead

DaveR
New User

Jan 3, 2005, 10:59 PM

Post #1 of 6 (2249 views)
Shortcut
Sony KV-27V15 Dead Can't Post

My old Sony 27" Trinitron turned off while watching it and now it won't turn back on. Unplugged the TV for several hours, tried again, still does not work. Verified the AC outlet is working fine. Tried turning on from both the front panel and the remote -- there is no response at all, as if the TV is not getting power.

I sensed a slight burning smell when I got close to the TV, but I can't be sure if it's not just the normal smell of the TV after being on for several hours.

For a few days leading up to its death, I noticed a slight image distortion -- a white jagged pattern on the right edge of the screen running from top to bottom, less than 1 inch wide, slightly thicker in the middle. I didn't think twice about it at the time; I chalked it up to RF interference as our cable signal is often noisy. But now I have a feeling it was foreshadowing the failure.

I am wondering if it pays to try to fix this TV, or if it is time to toss it. I'd love to keep it if I can get it running for under $100; it still had a great picture. I've seen the $34 repair kit at fixyourowntv.com but I'm hesitant to try it unless there's a good chance it will solve the problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

--
Dave

mel
Veteran

Jan 5, 2005, 1:11 AM

Post #2 of 6 (2233 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DaveR] Sony KV-27V15 Dead [In reply to] Can't Post

A large number of the Sony's that I get into the shop that are about that age (appr 10 years) are approaching (or have passed) the the useful life of the CRT. The jagged tear that you saw probably indicates a problem in the high voltage section which could involve a costly repair but regardless of the cost, you could be investing in a set that has a limited life span on top of that. You might want to check out www.FreeFlatScreens.com/?r=10948674 for an opportunity to earn a free replacement for this set with a little effort on your part.

dakota
New User

Jan 6, 2005, 1:45 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2221 views)
Shortcut

It's a common problem for your set. We repair them all the time. You can do it yourself if you can use a soldering iron. Or you can sell your soul to the advertising world and try for susposedly free tvs.

Dakota
fixyourowntv.com

DaveR
New User

Jan 6, 2005, 4:44 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2216 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dakota] Sony KV-27V15 Dead [In reply to] Can't Post

I have heard some stories where the $34 kit from fixyourowntv.com works for a limited time but then the set dies again. I'm confident I can replace the burnt components and repair the solder joints on existing components that probably caused the failure.

However, I'm worried that the vertical tearing I saw is a symptom of a more serious problem, so that even if I am able to repair the set, it won't have much more life left in it.

Is it worth a $34 investment to give it a shot, or am I just throwing good money after bad?

dakota
New User

Jan 6, 2005, 6:10 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2209 views)
Shortcut

The few customers that have problems almost always have not followed the instructions. When I ask them did you do xxxxx? Their answer is "uuuuh no . I missed that one." I guess they just look at the pictures.

Dakota
fixyourowntv.com

mel
Veteran

Jan 6, 2005, 9:36 PM

Post #6 of 6 (2207 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dakota] Sony KV-27V15 Dead [In reply to] Can't Post

Tain't "supposedly free". I am the proud owner of a Sony 27' flat screen from this site and it didn't cost me a penny. The little effort that I put in to get this $400 set was well worth it and now I am working to get my grandson one to replace his old Sanyo because I know that this system works.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)