Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Sony KV36XBR200 IK Blanking problem???

papayne1
New User

May 19, 2005, 11:41 AM

Post #1 of 4 (3913 views)
Shortcut
Sony KV36XBR200 IK Blanking problem??? Can't Post

A couple of weeks ago, my Sony starting giving a blinking picture (no blink code) in all Video settings (Vid 1, Vid 2, etc.). I called a repair shop and they came out yesterday to have a look at it (for $135). The tech went into the service mode and when he shut off Green, the picture stopped blinking (but no green). He said he believes the tube is bad and that it's not cost effective to repair. I want a second opinion!

I have seen other posts in here describing a similar problem with Sony's caused by IK blanking. When they turned up the screen voltage, it solved the problem. I don't think this guy tried that. So I guess my question is, wouldn't it make sense for me to go back into the service mode, turn Green back on (I think he changed everything to do with Green down to a value of 0 and/or Off), and crank up the screen voltage?

I think I can find the code to get it into service mode, but I'm not real sure how to find all the Green settings once I'm in it or what buttons on the remote do what... AND, can the screen voltage be adjusted from there, or is that something that has to be done inside the box? Any suggestions or help anyone can give would be appreciated.

Before I write off a $3000 TV (when I bought it 6 yrs ago or so), I might as well try what I can first. Somebody in here also mentioned that they could claim it on their home owners policy. I thought you could only do that if there was evidence of a lightening strike or something like that? In any case, doesn't it seem odd that a tube would go bad after only a few years? Heck, I have a 28" Sony Trinitron in my basement that I've owned since '85 and it's picture is still GREAT!

Thanks for the help!

mel
Veteran

May 19, 2005, 11:33 PM

Post #2 of 4 (3900 views)
Shortcut
Re: [papayne1] Sony KV36XBR200 IK Blanking problem??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes! Turn the green back on and turn the screen voltage up. It has to be done from inside the case and will either be a knob on the flyback transformer or a pot labeled SCREEN on th4e CRT board. If the tube is just starting to age, it should correct the problem temoprarily at least. In extreme cases, I have jumpered a fine wire across the filament resistor which in effect boosts the filament voltage slightly and acts as a booster to give you a little longer life from the CRT. It is usually R701 or R702 on the CRT board or the main board near the flyback. It has been my experience that for some reason Trinitron tubes do not last as long as most others so it is not unusual that you would start experiencing problems after 6 years.

papayne1
New User

May 24, 2005, 11:12 AM

Post #3 of 4 (3877 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Sony KV36XBR200 IK Blanking problem??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I've pretty much figured out that what the tech did was essentially nothing. When the tube heats up, the picture stops flashing. So he just happened to be fiddling with the green settings when it heated up enough to stop flashing and he "deduced" that green must be the problem and the tube was going bad. So he turned all the green settings down to 0 or off and left it at that (for $135.00). I figured all this out when I turned the set off and back on the next day only to have the picture flash again until the set had been on 10 or 15 minutes. After that, it gives a good picture (only without any green!)

I have four different codes to get into service mode on my set- and none of them worked for me. I don't know if they are the wrong codes or if I'm just not entering them correctly; but either way, they're not doing me any good... So if anyone can help me to get into service mode on a KV36XBR200 to get the green back on and then maybe some pointers on how to turn up the screen voltage, I think I would be all set (and forever grateful). I just went through a divorce and this TV is just about all I was left! LOL (if sob stories help)

BTW, I also tried resetting to factory defaults by holding down the reset button on the remote and then hitting the power button. I didn't know if that would correct the green settings- or just user settings- but it appears just user settings.

The repair shop wrote up a repair quote for me, so I'll call them today and explain all of this to them. Maybe they can help me do what needs to be done if nobody here can help out.

Thanks Mel (and anyone else that can offer help).

mel
Veteran

May 24, 2005, 10:12 PM

Post #4 of 4 (3861 views)
Shortcut
Re: [papayne1] Sony KV36XBR200 IK Blanking problem??? [In reply to] Can't Post

$135 to screw it up and then tell you it is not fixable!!!!!! Ludicrous!!!! The least that he could have done was put it back like he found it. Try this. From the stabdby mode (power off), press display, 5, VOL+, and power (within a second of each other). The CRT will display the item being adjusted. Use the 1 and 4 buttons to select the item to be adjusted (GCUT or GOFF (the one that is set to 0)). Use the 1 and 6 buttons to make the adjustment. GCUT should be somewhere around 7 but set for best balance with red and blue. Save the setting by pressing the mute and then enter button. Turning the set off will exit the service mode. Be very careful in the service mode and only make the adjustments affected because some of these entries can screw it up worse than it already is. Good Luck

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)