Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Sony TV won't turn on after lightning power surge.

jz
New User

Jul 3, 2018, 2:03 PM

Post #1 of 8 (1451 views)
Shortcut
Sony TV won't turn on after lightning power surge. Can't Post

Hi, I have a Sony KDL-40EX500 flat screen TV, purchased about 6 yrs ago, I believe around $600. It was in excellent condition until a very powerful lightning strike yesterday that hit a tree right next to our home across the driveway. Though it missed our house, it somehow caused a power surge and a split second power outage. Impacted were our electric 'furnace' air handler and Sony TV. Both are 'broke'. Initially the green light was on but now there is no red or green light. Outlet is fine and I tried remote and TV power button. I do not have electronic experience, but something must have gotten zapped inside TV. Should I try to get it repaired, and if so where, and what is approximate cost? Or should I just put that money toward a new TV. Disappointing since I believe I would have gotten numerous more years out of this TV. Thanks for any feedback!

jz
New User

Jul 3, 2018, 2:08 PM

Post #2 of 8 (1445 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jz] Sony TV won't turn on after lightning power surge. [In reply to] Can't Post

One update: right before I posted, I plugged the TV back in and now I see that the green light is on, but every 5 seconds it goes dim for a second then back to green for 4 seconds. But screen is black. JZ.

stevietv
New User

Aug 2, 2018, 1:07 AM

Post #3 of 8 (1341 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jz] Sony TV won't turn on after lightning power surge. [In reply to] Can't Post

You need to replace the flux capacitor.

corndoggydog
New User

Aug 2, 2018, 2:45 AM

Post #4 of 8 (1335 views)
Shortcut

check the fuses on the power supply board. Test the voltage across the fuse with TV plugged in, if you get a voltage drop they are good. Usually there will be a rating marked on the board next to the fuse.

jz
New User

Aug 5, 2018, 1:37 PM

Post #5 of 8 (1301 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevietv] Sony TV won't turn on after lightning power surge. [In reply to] Can't Post

As I stated, I do not have much electronic experience. I would have to be guided along to replace a 'flux capacitor'. And additional info would be great, to help me fix the TV. Thanks!

jz
New User

Aug 5, 2018, 1:41 PM

Post #6 of 8 (1300 views)
Shortcut
Re: [corndoggydog] Sony TV won't turn on after lightning power surge. [In reply to] Can't Post

Corndoggydog, As I stated, I do not have much electronic experience. I would have to be guided along on how to check a fuse or test voltage. Any additional info would be great, to help me fix the TV. Maybe there is a YouTube out there somewhere that would show me what either you or stevietv suggest? Thanks!

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 6, 2018, 2:52 AM

Post #7 of 8 (1294 views)
Shortcut

http://lmgtfy.com/...uses+on+power+boards

-------------------------

jz
New User

Aug 7, 2018, 11:33 PM

Post #8 of 8 (1279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Sony TV won't turn on after lightning power surge. [In reply to] Can't Post

I took apart the TV and viewed the power board and the other board (and took photos) but I see no visible signs of damages such as black marks or melting, so apparently a hidden issue from the lightning power surge. And since I no longer have a multi-meter and am not confident to repair it after viewing various YouTube's, I think I will see if anyone local can repair it at a reasonable cost or if I can buy the entire board myself and just replace it. Though I would likely be reluctant to spend over $100 to fix, rather put that toward a new TV, but it would be a shame to pitch this otherwise nice TV to the recycle heap. It would be nice to find someone with a broken-screen TV but good power board.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.21 s on (CGI/1.1)