Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Sony Wega 36 Not powering up

509Ruben
New User

Jan 24, 2010, 4:51 AM

Post #1 of 11 (3533 views)
Shortcut
Sony Wega 36 Not powering up Can't Post

Thanks in advance to anybody that can help. I have Sony KV-36xBR400. It is approximately 10 years old. It sometimes will not turn on, and instead the red light in front will either flash 4 times or 7 times. If I unplug it for 24 - 48 hours it will come back on. Works great then but if I power off, there is another waiting period. Trying to decide if it is worth fixing or time to upgrade. Appreciate any input.

Ruben Unimpressed

mel
Veteran

Jan 24, 2010, 10:12 PM

Post #2 of 11 (3524 views)
Shortcut
Re: [509Ruben] Sony Wega 36 Not powering up [In reply to] Can't Post

The four blinks indicate no vertical deflection and the seven indicate high voltage shutdown. I would appear that you have a complex problem which will require a qualified tech with the appropraite test equipment. Given the age of the set and Sony's limited life of their Trinitron tubes you might be better off to invest in a new TV.

509Ruben
New User

Jan 25, 2010, 3:52 AM

Post #3 of 11 (3518 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Sony Wega 36 Not powering up [In reply to] Can't Post

Mel, thanks for the info. I thought this set had given me plenty of use. Now it's time to shop for one of those nice flat panels. Just gonna wait for a good sale!

jts1957
Veteran

Jan 25, 2010, 4:39 AM

Post #4 of 11 (3515 views)
Shortcut

If you find one you like after using it for a few weeks, go back and get two more. That should get you pretty close to ten years.Angelic

-------------------------

mel
Veteran

Jan 25, 2010, 11:03 PM

Post #5 of 11 (3501 views)
Shortcut

I have a Panasonic 42" plasma and am extremely pleased with both picture and performance.

PrinceBytore
New User

Jan 26, 2010, 12:03 AM

Post #6 of 11 (3497 views)
Shortcut

If you have soldering skills and $10.00 US you can repair your TV in about an hours time. 95% of start up issues with these sets are caused by 2 18 pin ICs on the "D" board. They are labeled IC8002 and IC6501 and they are both the same chip. Go to E-Bay and type MCZ3001D in the search and you can buy 2 chips with sockets for less than $10.00 and free shipping. Just desolder the old chips from the board, solder the sockets in their place and install the chips. Easy Peasy. Do note the orientation of the chips though, there is a notch at one end so you can tell which way they go. Also note that two of the pins on each chip remain unsoldered. I can provide you with better details for the procedure if you are interested in trying this.

Oh, I almost forgot. Next time it doesn't power on, try blowing in the right side of the set with a blow dryer on high heat for several minutes and try powering on again.Wink

(This post was edited by PrinceBytore on Jan 26, 2010, 12:10 AM)

509Ruben
New User

Jan 26, 2010, 3:47 AM

Post #7 of 11 (3483 views)
Shortcut

Mel,

Thanks for the suggestion on the plasma TV. I have heard that they have great pictures. I am reading a lot of reviews on the net right now. Guess I will make a decision after seeing them next to each other in a retail setting.

509Ruben
New User

Jan 26, 2010, 4:01 AM

Post #8 of 11 (3482 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PrinceBytore] Sony Wega 36 Not powering up [In reply to] Can't Post

PrinceBytore,

That hint of using a hair drier worked! Had tried earlier today and nothing was happening, gave it a few minutes with a hair drier and it came right on. I have always enjoyed tinkering with electrical stuff and have a friend who is very good at being a Mr. Fixit. Looked on Ebay and saw the chips for the 9.99 price and free shipping. Since I paid over $2500 for this set I don't mind throwing another $10 at it before I let it die. I couldn't believe how much prices dropped after I bought mine. Guess you have to pay to have the latest! Would appreciate any further advise you can give me on this. Thanks, 509RubenSmile

PrinceBytore
New User

Jan 28, 2010, 11:21 AM

Post #9 of 11 (3447 views)
Shortcut

OK, Safety first, unplug everything from the TV and the TV from from the outlet and let sit overnight before removing the back cover. After removing the back cover use a vacuum to remove dust. Do Not Use Compressed Air And Blow!! Dust Is Toxic!! Locate the "D" Board, should be the board to your right when facing set from normal viewing position and will be marked with a bold capital "D".Next locate the chips labeled IC8002 and IC6501 and take pictures with digicam so you don't forget which way they go back in. Next locate the levers on the right and left side of the base, lift them and slide base back and tilt up so bottom of board is accessable. You may have to unplug a few things to do this so be sure to take pictures of eveything you unplug with a digicam so you can remember where everything goes. Next locate the chips on the bottom side (green side) of the board and take digital pictures so you can remember which pins remain unsoldered. Next remove chips using a soldering iron (Do Not Use A Soldering Gun) and solder sucker. A solder sucker looks like a miniature turkey baster and can be purchased at Radio Shack for under $5.00. http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=related Next solder in new sockets without chips installed so as not to overheat and ruin the new chips. Next insert new chips in newly installed sockets and re-assemble everything using digital pictures as guide. Post back and let us know how it went.

(This post was edited by PrinceBytore on Jan 28, 2010, 11:34 AM)

509Ruben
New User

Jan 31, 2010, 10:04 PM

Post #10 of 11 (3424 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PrinceBytore] Sony Wega 36 Not powering up [In reply to] Can't Post

PrinceBytore,
Thanks for the info on replacing the chips. I'm getting the chips and soldering equipment. I'll post again when work is done.

509RubenSmile

PrinceBytore
New User

Feb 1, 2010, 4:36 AM

Post #11 of 11 (3412 views)
Shortcut

Great!! But since you are buying soldering equipment I recommend watching this also http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=related

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.25 s on (CGI/1.1)