Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Sony XBR-55HX950 bad panel

coldone
New User

Jan 1, 2018, 6:14 AM

Post #1 of 12 (2193 views)
Shortcut
Sony XBR-55HX950 bad panel Can't Post

My parents were going to throw it away due to horizontal lines across the panel. I've looked for the solution on the internet, the claim is there was a manufacturing defect in the panel. I reseated all the ribbon cables. What I can't find is "exactly" what is wrong with the panel to cause these horizontal lines, and if a DYI can be attempted to fix the panel. Why couldn't it be fixed?, I'm not understanding that. I have a Sony Triniton made in the 80s and it still works great. This XBR cost my parents $3400 just a couple of years ago and it's not working. So is a DYI panel fix possible with this one? There is a long thread about this model at the Sony site but, no detailed explanation of what the problem is/was, only that the panel is defective. <span contenteditable="false"><table border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width="100%"><!--reply--><tr><td width="2%"><hr width="100%" noshade size="1" color="#A1A576"></td><td width="10%" align=center><font size=1 face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">In&nbsp;Reply&nbsp;To</font></td><td width="87%"><hr width="100%" noshade color="#A1A576" size=1></td></tr></table></span><div style="margin-left: 30px">

(This post was edited by coldone on Jan 1, 2018, 6:16 AM)

jts1957
Veteran

Jan 1, 2018, 6:22 AM

Post #2 of 12 (2186 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coldone] Sony XBR-55HX950 bad panel [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for Tab Bonds and see if matches your defect.

-------------------------

coldone
New User

Jan 1, 2018, 6:42 AM

Post #3 of 12 (2179 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Sony XBR-55HX950 bad panel [In reply to] Can't Post

I did see tab defect examples on Youtube, apparently they are really buried in this model. I will have to remove several things to see if I can get to them/find them. You can't just take a cover off and check them. But I may try to finally get to them and check those out, thanks. At a glance, it looks like most everything will be disconnected by the time I get to the tabs. Maybe this is why Sony hoped people just accepted another TV rather than have all of the 55HX950 models thrown at them to fix.

jts1957
Veteran

Jan 1, 2018, 6:50 AM

Post #4 of 12 (2174 views)
Shortcut

Will happen sooner or later to ALL panels. No permanent good mechanical or electrical contacts can be achieved with essentially 'Glued' connections. Wink

http://i807.photobucket.com/...20panel/DSC01302.jpg

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Jan 1, 2018, 7:01 AM)

coldone
New User

Jan 1, 2018, 7:03 AM

Post #5 of 12 (2168 views)
Shortcut

This is the first time I've looked inside a new TV, but I've always liked doing things like that since I was a kid, ruined a lot of toys that way. I don't even know how the tabs are connected or what they look like on this TV. The first time I've seen them or heard of them is on Youtube vids. Is there a way to make them stay where they are supposed to?

jts1957
Veteran

Jan 1, 2018, 7:13 AM

Post #6 of 12 (2167 views)
Shortcut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th-MG6QSxEg

coldone
New User

Jan 1, 2018, 7:39 AM

Post #7 of 12 (2164 views)
Shortcut

Son of a diddly, is that the only way to do it? My bonding machine is broken(sarcasm). Yes, I bet this is the problem, weak bonding out of the factory. They should still be "aligned" though(?), just sections of them coming loose. I wonder if there is a home remedy to bond them back.

jts1957
Veteran

Jan 1, 2018, 7:45 AM

Post #8 of 12 (2163 views)
Shortcut

After taking apart panel some have used various types of foam 'weather stripping' that when panel gets reassembled applies pressure to hold them in place. Crazy
NOT the in a can weather stripping foams, although mayhaps ...

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Jan 1, 2018, 7:48 AM)

coldone
New User

Jan 1, 2018, 7:51 AM

Post #9 of 12 (2159 views)
Shortcut

OK yeah, I saw that in a video, some guy was using pieces of and inner tube to apply more pressure but I didn't understand what the tabs were, how they worked, now I do. I also found some DYI bonding technics at Youtube, looks like a lot of work. There's got to be a better way to do that, ...plplpl, glue, whatever. Thanks, that was interesting, I learned a lot and I may try to mess around with this later.

jts1957
Veteran

Jan 1, 2018, 8:05 AM

Post #10 of 12 (2158 views)
Shortcut

When dried some glues insulate traces, but if glue is conductive may short traces. Angelic

Another possibility ...

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Jan 1, 2018, 8:22 AM)

coldone
New User

Jan 3, 2018, 6:02 AM

Post #11 of 12 (2135 views)
Shortcut

I think it's more like this: &lt;br&gt;&lt;img src="https://i.imgur.com/4yB5uaX.jpg" border="0" /&gt; &lt;br&gt; &lt;br&gt;Sony is dodging the "exact" problem, they only say, "...bad ribbons, ...bad panel...." There was defect but they don't pin it down to the exact defect. I think they are staying lawsuit safe with political lingo. I have my TV apart and oriented the panel behind the back and plugged everything in and placed an aquarium light behind the panel and turned it on. I still see the lines, I pressed on the tabs, absolutely no change. I think what's called something like the "Y control board" is located on the bottom of this TV. I think they did that to widen the edge of the TV display, don't really know. There are two or three solid lines with no flickering, and on either side of the line there are dimmer lines, maybe 20 or 30 on each side of the center darker line. I saw a vid of a guy apparently cutting the bottom left tab to get rid of the lines on a different model Sony, but I can't understand the speech in the vid, it's this one here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoL9npE6USU Does anybody here understand what the guy with the knife is doing? I'm desperate so I may try whatever it is the guy did in the vid. I don't "have" to do this, it's just bothering me, that's all haha, It would be a nice feeling just to fix it, I have a curious nature. Here is my project TV in an awkward pose, I oriented the panel in back of the rest as if it's in front and put an aquarium light in back to see the lines. &lt;br&gt;&lt;img src="https://i.imgur.com/1A8SXJc.jpg" border="0" /&gt; &lt;br&gt; &lt;br&gt;&lt;img src="https://i.imgur.com/bPa9gbJ.jpg" border="0" /&gt; &lt;br&gt; <br>

My picture links work when I click on "preview post", then when I post, odd characters are added to the link and so they don't work.

(This post was edited by coldone on Jan 4, 2018, 2:11 AM)

IwantmyMTV
New User

Feb 2, 2018, 2:56 PM

Post #12 of 12 (2049 views)
Shortcut

Hello Coldone,

I am on board with your inquiry. Your post is the only thing I can find regarding the root cause of the issue with the horizontal line. I have 2 of these tv's with the exact same issue in the exact same location but I can not find a break in a conductor or any other issue. I have changed all the electronics and backplane from a known working unit with no change other than the rest of the beautiful picture. There have been differences with the picture with the same exact settings but zero impact on the line of pixels. I am watching your post to see if anyone ever finds anything. I just received a microscope to try to help and will post anything I find out.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.21 s on (CGI/1.1)