Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Sony won't turn on

chewy
New User

Jan 15, 2010, 5:49 AM

Post #1 of 15 (3314 views)
Shortcut
Sony won't turn on Can't Post

Sony Trinitron about 5'ish years old recently has begun giving us a hard time when we try to power it up. When we hit the power, it clicks back off after a few seconds (no picture or sound). After a few tries, it'll pop loudly, then power back off (still no sound or picture). When it eventually does start to react in a positive manner, it does one of three things: (1) sound comes on with no picture for about 5 seconds then turns back off, (2) turns on with picture and sound, but with a rainbow around the edge of the screen, or (3) will turn on properly. Once it is up and running, it does not shut off unless powered off (as it's supposed to). Any input would be greatly appreciated!

jts1957
Veteran

Jan 15, 2010, 7:19 AM

Post #2 of 15 (3312 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chewy] Sony won't turn on [In reply to] Can't Post

How come people think that we know exactly which set they are talking about when they say they have a: "Sony Trinitron about 5'ish years old?" (see what a search engine does with that)

Going just by info in his post I can't definitively say even whether it's a direct-view CRT, Projo or what.Crazy

How's that for input?Tongue

-------------------------

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Jan 15, 2010, 7:22 AM)

chewy
New User

Jan 15, 2010, 7:35 AM

Post #3 of 15 (3306 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Sony won't turn on [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that a rhetorical question or are you just having a bad day? Good lord...figured I might try for an across-the-board diagnosis and THEN deal with the specifics as needed.

Anyway, Sunshine, the model number is KV-27FS100L.

Thanks for your further input.

jts1957
Veteran

Jan 15, 2010, 7:51 AM

Post #4 of 15 (3304 views)
Shortcut

See if this sound similar (many problems on "D" board):

Loud pop in audio or 5 seconds of audio, B+ good for 5 seconds, then shuts down, 2 blinks. Takes several tries to get going, then stays on. Replace IC600 MCZ3001DB.Cool

chewy
New User

Jan 16, 2010, 6:18 PM

Post #5 of 15 (3277 views)
Shortcut

Thanks again.

When off, it blinks twice. Hit the power button and it flashes three times (twice). Flashes four times (once) then clicks off.

Ron.M
Veteran

Jan 17, 2010, 7:33 PM

Post #6 of 15 (3260 views)
Shortcut

chewy;.....

I think you are getting some confusing older codes from previous problems...
You need to clear out those codes & start fresh....
Here's how to do that;=>....
"""These codes do not reset themselves after the fault is corrected, so if you don't clear them, you'll be seeing "old" fault codes... Clearing is done by going into the service mode (display, # 5, volume plus, then power ). Press 8 and Enter, which returns everything to the factory preset condition."""
Use original Sony remote only ...NOT a generic....
Then turn the TV off at the front panel , not with the remote...
Unplug the TV for about 30 seconds to allow everything to reset....
Then plug it back in , turn it on , record the new codes & post here...
I will give you the meaning of the new code...

Good Luck...

Later...Ron.M....Cool....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

mel
Veteran

Jan 18, 2010, 2:16 AM

Post #7 of 15 (3249 views)
Shortcut

The two blinks is a diagnostic code indicating B+ overcurrent protection. Could be a short in the power supply or any of the circuits. Unless you have the proper equipment and knowledge to trace down the short, it is best left to a qualified tech.

chewy
New User

Jan 30, 2010, 7:10 PM

Post #8 of 15 (3203 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Sony won't turn on [In reply to] Can't Post

Well I tried accessing that screen to clear the codes but all it did was turn off the TV (which is what I really DID NOT want to do). I used the Sony remote. Are there any tricks, timing, etc that I need to be aware of when entering the Display>5>Vol+>Power sequence?

Thanks again!

Ron.M
Veteran

Jan 30, 2010, 9:00 PM

Post #9 of 15 (3195 views)
Shortcut

chewy;....

In my previous post I may have made an OOoops....
Sorry about that....

BEFORE you start this;

You need to clear out those codes & start fresh....
Here's how to do that;=>....
"""These codes do not reset themselves after the fault is corrected, so if you don't clear them, you'll be seeing "old" fault codes... Clearing is done by going into the service mode (display, # 5, volume plus, then power ). Press 8 and Enter, which returns everything to the factory preset condition."""
Use original Sony remote only ...NOT a generic....

The TV MUST be OFF....When you hit the "power" button , the TV will turn on...Then asap hit #8 & press "enter"....That should clear out the old codes & allow for new ones to be made...

Then continue on with this;=>...

Then turn the TV off at the front panel , not with the remote...
Unplug the TV for about 30 seconds to allow everything to reset....
Then plug it back in , turn it on , record the new codes & post here...
I will give you the meaning of the new code...

SORRY , if I caused you any trouble...

chewy
New User

Feb 1, 2010, 2:02 AM

Post #10 of 15 (3173 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Sony won't turn on [In reply to] Can't Post

Nope...you didn't cause me any problems. A reminder though that turning the TV on is the problem to begin with! Laugh

I know I have 9 seconds between hitting the power button and it shutting off, so I tried running the sequence in that window of time. I didn't expect it to work, but I tried anyway. Disp>5>Vol+>Power...then I hit the 8>Enter and pushed the power button before it shut off on its own. Unplugged, replugged, power...same problem. No different flashes or anything.

Anything I can do while it's powered up rather than off?

Ron.M
Veteran

Feb 1, 2010, 2:32 AM

Post #11 of 15 (3170 views)
Shortcut

chewy;....

Just so we're on the same page here....
You started with the TV OFF...
Then entered the sequence as I explained...
Display>#5>Vol+>Power>#8> , & finally press enter...

and pushed the power button before it shut off on its own.

IF it shuts off on its own , let it do it...
Unplug the set for about 30 sec's ....
Retry to get new codes at turn on....

As for on screen codes , try this....

To see the diagnostic screen, press the following buttons: Display, #5, volume Minus, ( not plus ) then Power. This brings up a screen with a list of the problems and number of times they have occurred.

Again , start this with the TV OFF....
It should turn itself on & hopefully stay on...
This may not work on your TV as its for Projection TVs....
If we get lucky here , write down what you see & please post it here....

Good Luck...

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 1, 2010, 3:00 AM

Post #12 of 15 (3167 views)
Shortcut

From the school of let's try throwing things at it to see what sticks: Relay clicks many times before power up. Then set plays OK, Change C690 and C651.UnsureD645

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Feb 1, 2010, 3:07 AM)

chewy
New User

Feb 16, 2010, 5:03 AM

Post #13 of 15 (3114 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Sony won't turn on [In reply to] Can't Post

I did what you said. With the power off I hit the sequence on the remote. What I get is three flashes, two flashes, then flashing steadily with no end. Doesn't power up OR down. Should I change out the power supply as previously mentioned to see if that solves anything? Thanks yet again.

Ron.M
Veteran

Feb 16, 2010, 7:40 PM

Post #14 of 15 (3097 views)
Shortcut

chewy;...

Should I change out the power supply as previously mentioned to see if that solves anything?

Obviously , you are free to do whatever you want.....
Since we have a varity of causes here , I think it would be a good idea to narrow down the possibilities first...
What I'm trying to do with the "blink code" feature is to narrow down which circuit may be causing the problem.....
I still think you are getting older codes....See below;=>...

Continuous blink once a second, no pausing -No reply from the jungle IC301 (data bus is busy, shorted to ground, or held high), IK video path is defective.

Two blinks - B+ over current protection (OCP), unit goes to the standby mode then displays the 2 blink fault. Could be a short in the power supply of any of the circuits.

Three blinks
- B+ over voltage protection (OVP), unit goes to the standby mode then displays the 3 blink fault. This is also a problem in the power supply circuit, check T603 and R672.

You are looking at 3 different problems according to the code info you posted....
While it is possible that you could have all that wrong with your TV , The odds that you do have them all at one time are astronomical....
Lets try this again...
This time , lets do it when the TV wants to behave itself , that is when it finally comes on & stays on...
Turn it on & off a few times till it comes on properly each time & stays on....
Then turn it off & try the code I gave you again...
If that doesn't work , then we/you'll have to find a different way to attack this problem....

This is the EXACT quote from a website for the Sony codes;=>..

Clearing is done by going into the service mode (display, channel, 5, volume plus, then power ). Press 8 and Enter, which returns everything to the factory preset condition.

The problem for me is;...You'll notice that they show "channel, 5"....Note the comma then number 5...
I don't think you have a button that says "channel" (only) (NOT to be confused with Chan up or Chan down buttons) on your remote....
What I think the writer meant was to press "channel #5 , that being button #5....
So that's what I said to you...
IF you have a button that says "channel" , then use the above method...
And accept my sincere apologies....

From Mel's post;=>...

Unless you have the proper equipment and knowledge to trace down the short, it is best left to a qualified tech.

Post what electronic/TV Repair experience you have...<<Important !!!
So I & the other techs here can give you proper advice....
Consider what advice jts1957 & Mel are giving you & proceed at your own level of confidence....
This problem can be tricky to find & solve without a "hands on" tech at the set...

GOOD LUCK.....

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Feb 16, 2010, 7:51 PM)

PrinceBytore
New User

Feb 16, 2010, 10:55 PM

Post #15 of 15 (3087 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
See if this sound similar (many problems on "D" board):

Loud pop in audio or 5 seconds of audio, B+ good for 5 seconds, then shuts down, 2 blinks. Takes several tries to get going, then stays on. Replace IC600 MCZ3001DB.Cool

This IC is a problematic part in a lot of sets so this is where I would start. They are very inexpensive, less than $10.00 US, and readily available on E-Bay. You could even test it before removing the old on and soldering in the new one by "clipping" it into place on top of the old one. I've done this many times with BIOS chips on dead motherboards. If your set powers on then you know how to fix it. If it doesn't, you're only out a couple of bucks. If you decide to try this, note the notch at the end of the chip and be sure to place it properly. Oh yeah, and don't forget to unplug it first.
By the way, You will never be able to clear the errors from the set with the remote if the set will not power on.....Just saying.Pirate

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.23 s on (CGI/1.1)