Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Sunbrite outdoor tv fix (am I screwed?)

dropgems
New User

Jun 4, 2016, 9:28 PM

Post #1 of 7 (5228 views)
Shortcut
Sunbrite outdoor tv fix (am I screwed?) Can't Post

I bought model 5510HD used off eBay about a year ago. I have ink blotches and lines on the tv that are getting worse with time (pic below). I'm pretty sure this is the dreaded panel repair!$!$! Before I contact the manufacturer, I was wondering if there's any other panels interchangeable with sunbrites or any other options I might have. Any advice is appreciated. A 55inch tv from sunbrite costs over 5 grand new so could replacing the panel still be not worth it? Any idea the cost or any other cheaper fix for these spots? Thx!

http://s33.postimg.org/mw0aelepr/image.jpg

(This post was edited by dropgems on Jun 4, 2016, 9:31 PM)

dropgems
New User

Jun 10, 2016, 1:52 PM

Post #2 of 7 (5194 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dropgems] Sunbrite outdoor tv fix (am I screwed?) [In reply to] Can't Post

anyone?

dropgems
New User

Jun 25, 2016, 6:38 AM

Post #3 of 7 (5120 views)
Shortcut

100 views and nobody can post 1 reply about this panel?

jts1957
Veteran

Jun 25, 2016, 4:34 PM

Post #4 of 7 (5110 views)
Shortcut

That's because nobody wants to give you the bad news about the set. It needs a new panel/screen. Good luck finding/affording/having it arrive undamaged.

-------------------------

dropgems
New User

Jun 25, 2016, 5:29 PM

Post #5 of 7 (5107 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Sunbrite outdoor tv fix (am I screwed?) [In reply to] Can't Post

Alright but what's the deal with a new panel? Are they interchangeable or brand specific? The tv costs like 5k new so are they cheaper than 5k installed at least?

jts1957
Veteran

Jun 25, 2016, 6:08 PM

Post #6 of 7 (5103 views)
Shortcut

Good luck finding/affording/having it arrive undamaged

Set had a 2-year warranty (with copy of original receipt and a RMA number) - you probably do NOT have receipt. https://www.sunbritetv.com/...rms/limited-warranty
IF you were able to get it to them, they would declare TV to be beyond economical repair (BER).

This leaves the after market. You can try to find another whole set with a non-LCD panel problem and hope that panels are same. (Yes, same model TVs sometimes change part(s) complement in middle of production.)
You can get the panel number off the sticker affixed to the back of panel and try searching for that. This DOES require some disassembly.

First you have to find one or the other.
IF you DO find one or the other, price has to be acceptable (to you).
And finally, you had better hope the seller is in your local area so you can examine item and arrange for transport so that either arrives to your home in same condition as when examined.

-------------------------

dropgems
New User

Jun 25, 2016, 7:30 PM

Post #7 of 7 (5100 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Sunbrite outdoor tv fix (am I screwed?) [In reply to] Can't Post

Ha Jesus. Thx for the response sir...

I was hoping I could just drag this beast down the street in Queens to some old tv repair shop and they could rig something up. Sounds like I'm legitimately screwed. I bought the tv second hand so no receipt.
The tv costs like 4K-5k to replace. A panel for it sounds like it doesn't even exist. Uhh... this sucks. I might just live with the spots then for now. How does this typically progress with these spots? Are they gonna be everywhere eventually? Is the screen just gonna go black eventually? How much time do you think I have or is it totally random?

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.24 s on (CGI/1.1)