Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Swedx LCD XV1-19TVW - screen flash loop

ocf
New User

Jul 15, 2016, 5:40 PM

Post #1 of 5 (1046 views)
Shortcut
Swedx LCD XV1-19TVW - screen flash loop Can't Post

A friend gave me this TV to look at, it recently started exhibiting an issue, when switched on it appears to be stuck in some sort of burn in mode. The screen flashes in a loop between black, white and then RGB Stripes going from dark to light showing across the screen.

It definitely appears to be a test or burn in mode as there are no artifacts or other issues showing on the screen.

TV takes 12v DC external power

There were a few burst 220uf caps on the mainboard that I replaced but this didn't make any difference.

I cant find any schematics on the board or service manual, there are also no replacement boards form the usual sources.

Interesting thing to note, when I heated the board with a hot air gun and powered the TV on it did not show the colour loop and started up ok, I got the swedx splash screen and the TV accepted commands from the remote. After 10 seconds of staying on it immediately went back to the flashing burn in mode. Definitley something faulty on the mainboard, what would be affected by heat like this? I am thinking voltage regulators

I've located all the voltage regulators on the board they are all CX1084 and CX1117 and all labeled ADJ. I have taken a look at data sheets for the chip and I cant work out what voltge the Adjustable regulators should be outputting. Does the output voltage depend on the resistor used between Adj and Output terminls or do I have this all wrong

Voltage regulator part numbers I found on the board -

CX1084 ADJ 7226Y
CX1084 ADJ 7265Y
CX1117 ADJ 7382Y

One of the regulators is showing 0.15v on input pin, 0.9 on gnd and 2v on output, this seems wrong?

Dont vregs take a minimum voltage above the required output voltage to drive the regulator itself, so if this has 0.15v and 2v output surely its problematic?

I'm spitballing here, just trying to make sense with my limited knowledge

Any advice on what to check next? I have a good grounding in reading schematics and would consider myself far from a beginner when it comes to electronics, throw some ideas at me!

thanks in advance

OCF

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 15, 2016, 6:31 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1042 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ocf] Swedx LCD XV1-19TVW - screen flash loop [In reply to] Can't Post

ocf;....

Since this is a LED/LCD TV , I have limited help for you...
I do not have much experience with those types of TVs , but , I have 50+ years of analog TV experience & can help you with a thermal problem as you apparently have...

I suspect a bad lytic cap is the most likely culprit...
I suggest you invest in a can of electronic circuit freeze...
Start with the TV "looping"..
With your hot air gun , heat up SMALL areas at a time..
Wait a bit & see if the TV starts working OK...
IF not heat up another SMALL area..
Wait a bit & see if the TV starts working OK...
Sooner or later an area WILL start to work OK.
Let the TV cool down till it does the looping...
Then with the TV on & the area acting up heated up with the hot air gun use the freeze spray CAREFULLY to freeze INDIVIDUAL caps ONE at a time !!!
Check after you spray ONLY ONE cap to see IF that's the one that starts the TV to looping again...
When you find one that does , isolate it by folding a business card around it to shield the spray from hitting other components...
Then heat it up to get the TV to work & then CAREFULLY freeze spray ONLY THAT CAP...
IF you did this correctly & the cap responds to heat & freeze , chances are that you found the bad part...
Since your regulator is showing 0.15v on input pin, I suspect a power supply cap..

IF needed later on , can you take & post a pix of the board you have the problem on ???..

Later....Ron.M...Cool...
Veteran & Retired TV technician

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Jul 15, 2016, 6:36 PM)

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 15, 2016, 9:33 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1018 views)
Shortcut

Biggest IC on Main Board (the one with the largest black heat sink in your picture) has a ball grid array that needs reflowing.

-------------------------

ocf
New User

Jul 16, 2016, 10:32 AM

Post #4 of 5 (1009 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Swedx LCD XV1-19TVW - screen flash loop [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the replies. How sure can you be that this is the BGA IC?

I have the tools to reflow but I would like to avoid this unless absolutely certain.

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 16, 2016, 1:09 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1007 views)
Shortcut

Just my opinion.

-------------------------

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.21 s on (CGI/1.1)