Switch TV backlight on/off to save energy

asd
New User

Jun 9, 2020, 1:16 PM

Post #1 of 1 (840 views)
Shortcut
Switch TV backlight on/off to save energy Can't Post

Hi,

I am new to this forum but found your advice very helpful in the past, so thank you first of all!

I would like to build a MagicMirror using a TV.

Goal:
To save energy, I try to utilize a PIR sensor to turn on the backlight of my TV whenever someone walks by. The LCD panel however will always be on and emitting the HDMI-signal from my RaspberryPi. This solution should allow me to have a TV picture that's instantly on and does neither need to boot nor show the TV logo nor show the input source.

My TV:
Samsung UE32D5000

Related issues:
This problem has already been discussed but does not really help me to much since my hardware setup is different.
https://forum.magicmirror.builders/topic/503/pir-sensor-to-cut-backlight-power/

What I did so far:
My screen has an integrated LED driver on the power board (BN44-00460A). I tried the following:

1. Unplugging the LED backlight (Connector: CNL802).
Result: The TV reboots in a continuos loop

2. Disconnecting the "BLU on/off" pin on the power board (Connector: CNM803) that controls the backlight unit from the main board (Connector: CN201).
Result: The backlight is always on

Where I need help:
* Does someone know another way of maybe tricking the software of my board to think the LED's are on without them being on? I thought of utilizing a resistor but this does not really save me energy.

* Any other ideas?

* Worst case, I need a new used TV: Does someone know which TV (32" or bigger) has a separate LED driver or allows the backlight to be manually switched on or off. I could do this using a relay or via a 5V pin as proposed in the related issue described above.

Thanks a lot in advance, I greatly appreciate it!

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)