Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Tatung E series - Set dead - Clicking noise at ~1hz

benpowell
New User

May 22, 2005, 4:17 PM

Post #1 of 1 (925 views)
Shortcut
Tatung E series - Set dead - Clicking noise at ~1hz Can't Post

I have a Tatung E Series (PAL) with NICAM & Fastext. The 4 year warranty has just expired (literally)!

Last night I turned off the TV by putting it on standby, but this morning it would not turn on. A clicking (ticking) noise can be heard, cycling constantly about every 1/2 second (about 1hz at a guess). The standby red LED is not lit. No smoke or smells are consistent with a short circuit, but I guess without opening up the TV it is hard to tell either way.

I am not by any means a TV engineer, having never removed the panel at the back of the TV for fear of touching the wrong thing. I am however pretty good with electronics and if someone can point me in the right direction it would be useful. Therefore I would be interested if someone can tell me:

a) What the problem is and whether it can be fixed.

b) What I can do to fix it myself. You'll need to walk me through this as I don't know what the different parts are that I will be looking at.

c) How much it should cost if I get a service engineer to fix it. You can disregard the call out cost, as I can't do anything about that really, but an idea of the cost of the replacement parts and time/cost would be useful.

Many thanks in advance.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)