Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Tinning of soldering iron tip

yorled
User

Jan 3, 2010, 3:42 PM

Post #1 of 3 (787 views)
Shortcut
Tinning of soldering iron tip Can't Post

I have read about tinning your soldering iron tip - that the solder should melt and cover the tip of the soldering iron after the iron tip has been cleansed off properly.
My problem is this;After i cleaned off the iron's tip and heat up the iron to the appropriate temperature and apply solder to the tip of the iron,the melted solder remains like a pellet on the soldering iron tip.
Why is this so?

How does one get solder to melt and cover the iron's tip.

Repair man
Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2010, 5:58 PM

Post #2 of 3 (782 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yorled] Tinning of soldering iron tip [In reply to] Can't Post

Keeping the tip clean helps a lot, try sanding the tip slightly where you would like the solder to stay. Also have a small wet sponge near you as you solder things and drag the tip across while tip is hot; this helps keep it clean. Another hint for keeping the tip clean is while the tip is hot, very rapidly stab it into and out of an old corrugated cardboard box (watch this closely, be careful not to start a fire) you'll find this cleans it fast. Other techs like to have a small piece of steel wool to drag the tip across.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

(This post was edited by Repair man on Jan 3, 2010, 6:00 PM)

roy_newell
New User

Jan 12, 2010, 3:12 PM

Post #3 of 3 (751 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yorled] Tinning of soldering iron tip [In reply to] Can't Post

Tip tinner from maplins. Costs about £5. Looks like a small stone, just dip soldering iron into it when hot. Cleans the dirtiest of tips, my mate who had been soldering for years and is really good didn't even know it existed and since I've showed him how good it is, he hasn't looked back

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.21 s on (CGI/1.1)