Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Toshiba 1987 TV - Malformed image

TelePleb
New User

Jan 25, 2020, 6:32 PM

Post #1 of 6 (999 views)
Shortcut
Toshiba 1987 TV - Malformed image Can't Post

Hello! I know next to nothing about repairing TV's, but I have posted in support forums before! Here is the make/model of my TV:

Make: Toshiba
Model: CF2047
Chassis: 8772
Manufactured October 1987.

And here are the technical specifications:

Toshiba America, Inc.
AC 120V --- 60Hz --- 1.4 amps max
Average Power 77 watts
CF2047 (this is merely the model number again)

Here is what the image is supposed to look like:

Here is what it does look like:

As you can see, the image is vertically stretched and is also tilted to the right. I'm unable to see the score counters, and also, when the player character is in the "horizontal upper 1/2 of the screen area," he grows taller.

It's really very simple: I bought this for $10 at a thrift store and I'm wondering if there is any way to get the picture tube back to displaying near-correctly. If I can save it, I want to try, because it's just adorable, and it was also made in the era of the NES, which to me feels nostalgic, to play a NES on a TV from when they were new.

Anyhow, if you have answers, I got ears. Should I toss it? No worries. Lemme know. Thanks!

jts1957
Veteran

Jan 31, 2020, 5:28 PM

Post #2 of 6 (967 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TelePleb] Toshiba 1987 TV - Malformed image [In reply to] Can't Post

Yoke may have moved causing tilt (and color splotches at top). Stretch should be one or more electrolytic capacitors (C301? / C305?)in the vertical sweep/power supply for same area.

-------------------------

TelePleb
New User

Feb 1, 2020, 3:18 AM

Post #3 of 6 (964 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Toshiba 1987 TV - Malformed image [In reply to] Can't Post

So if I'm understanding you correctly, adjusting the position of the yoke and replacing one or more of the capacitors in the TV may improve the problem?

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 1, 2020, 5:14 AM

Post #4 of 6 (960 views)
Shortcut

If your picture accurately depicts the problem...
The rotating of the loosened yoke on the neck of the CRT will affect the levelness/tilting ... the sliding of the loosened yoke between the bell and plug-in connector will affect the purity. Remember the CRT IS glass!
The replacement of the defective electrolytic(s) should correct the stretching.
All my advice PRESUMES the TV and any adjustment(s) are still at the point where the set had been working normally.

TelePleb
New User

Feb 2, 2020, 6:22 PM

Post #5 of 6 (945 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Toshiba 1987 TV - Malformed image [In reply to] Can't Post

So, the next logical step is to find out what electrolytic capacitors this particular model of television requires.

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 2, 2020, 7:45 PM

Post #6 of 6 (943 views)
Shortcut

Find the Vertical Deflection I.C. (probably attached to a heat sink). That will give you the series ('300s' if I remember correctly) of part location I.D.s. You can Google the part number off each I.C. for their identities. One of the two I mentioned earlier is usually inside a shielded surround, both were usually red, and may be leaking from their top or bottom.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)