Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Toshiba TP48D50 Convergence and Broken Screen

hows
New User

May 29, 2003, 11:30 PM

Post #1 of 2 (3057 views)
Shortcut
Toshiba TP48D50 Convergence and Broken Screen Can't Post

I need some advice from the wisdom of this forum. I have a Toshiba 48" rear projection tv (about 10 years old) that has recently developed a problem with convergence. The red will not line up around the edges of the unit, it is worse on the left side but is evident around all the edges. I doubt that I'm qualified to repair this myself. I do have some experience working on computer electronics, but none on a TV. So I'm looking for advice from this forum on what it could be, approximate cost to have it repaired, and recommendations for reputable repair shops in the Portland, OR metro area.

To compound my problem, the screen on this unit has been cracked for quite awhile. My 2 y/o son hit it with a plastic golf club and caused a crack in the screen (man I wish I had bought a screen protector). I would like to find out how much it would cost to have the screen replaced and recommendations for a screen protector.

The dilemma for me: is this unit worth repairing giving the age (what is the life expectancy?), the repair cost and the fact that I can purchase a HDTV unit for $1500?

Your help and opinions on this topic is greatly appreciated!

David

dahows@hotmail.com

MaierTV
User

May 30, 2003, 11:08 AM

Post #2 of 2 (3054 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hows] Toshiba TP48D50 Convergence and Broken Screen [In reply to] Can't Post

Life expe of projections set vary with manufactures your set should be able to handel at least 5 more years. Tongue
If memory servs your convergance Ic's should be the STK392-110 there will be two change both and resolder all high voltage sections A company called Vance baldwin sells replacment screens there are two on your set , the frensul and the one you cracked the linticulor, these sceens may not look all that spendy but they are. Anywhere from 150 to 275 each

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.23 s on (CGI/1.1)