Toshiba TP50F51 looks like a fisheye lens

Troz
New User

Feb 2, 2005, 5:42 AM

Post #1 of 4 (2117 views)
Shortcut
Toshiba TP50F51 looks like a fisheye lens Can't Post

Hello,

My father has been having trouble with his Toshiba TP50F51 projection set for a few months now. The majority of the time the screen looks as if everything was filmed with a fisheye lens. The convergence is off on all four corners of the set. Sometimes, after the set warms up, the fisheye look goes away and everything looks normal. He had a tech look at it and they had no idea, but said a minimum of $350 with no guaranteed date back.

After searching around here a while, I found what sound like similar problems where one of the guns goes out of convergence in a rounded pattern. In those cases, replacement of stk392-110 fixed the problems. Does anyone think replacing that component may help this problem?

Also, occasionally the screen will go completely blank for a short period of time. Thanks for any advice.

-Karl

(This post was edited by Troz on Feb 2, 2005, 5:44 AM)

mikemaiertv
Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2005, 8:22 PM

Post #2 of 4 (2099 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Troz] Toshiba TP50F51 looks like a fisheye lens [In reply to] Can't Post

The convergance Ic's you speek of the STK392-110 are the cause of most pix related problems in projection sets, you describe it as a fisheye problem we've herdi it describe as if someone had pushed the mirror in wit a basket ball or they belive the crt's have failed. But when you think about how heat will destroy electronic componets and then notice these Ic's are mounted on the biggest heat sink in the set its not to hard to guess what whent wrong,, Some times what we can do is upgrade the Ic like a STK392-020 (6amp) to a STK392-040(7amp) but for youre the STK392-110 a 3 amp IC there currently is no upgrade, just make sure the tech uses a good heat condutor when replacing these and replace both at the same timeCool
Mike Owens Owner Competition TV Spokane WA.

nittanylionnut
New User

Feb 6, 2005, 3:09 PM

Post #3 of 4 (2093 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikemaiertv] Toshiba TP50F51 looks like a fisheye lens [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey guys: My Toshiba 50A50 problem I posted yesterday sounds alot like this "fisheye" anomaly you are talking about (I call it "halo" or "periscope")...only difference is mine is on constantly and is more visible on "lighter/whiter" pictures. I'm guessing for all the money I've paid (and all the time the shop spent on it), the shop would have looked at these convergence ICs right off the bat or at least Toshiba would have pointed them to it. (I still can't believe the guys picking up my set dropped it! One of them was carrying it by the speaker cover and the rest is history, sorry I digress). I live north of Albany NY. I don't know what to do...is there a Toshiba factory in the US? I'll drive the TV there myself. I'm pissed off with the shop and Toshiba's lack of responsiveness. I'm trying to resolve this without going down the legal route (I'm not the type that likes to sue).

Is this fisheye a common problem? I've gone back over 12 months of posts and haven't found anything on it. Mike, any thoughts?

Troz
New User

Feb 16, 2005, 6:50 AM

Post #4 of 4 (2061 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Troz] Toshiba TP50F51 looks like a fisheye lens [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I replaced the stk392-100s and it didn't help the "fisheye" problem. I took a picture this time of it which can be found at http://www.twistedrails.com/tv.jpg to illustrate the problem. After about 10 minutes running like that the image changed to normal, but my father says the fisheye comes back still. Replacing the stk392s did however make the image sharper so it wasn't a total loss. Any other ideas from anyone? Thanks again.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.21 s on (CGI/1.1)