Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Toshiba TV28C30 Chass. 9335

wolfer14
New User

Feb 15, 2005, 9:06 AM

Post #1 of 7 (1496 views)
Shortcut
Toshiba TV28C30 Chass. 9335 Can't Post

I have this TV and can't figure out what's wrong. First off I'd like to fix this myself, before I take it in. My brother-inlaw gave it to me, saying if I can fix it, it's mine.
Help

The Problem.

When the unit is turned on (first time of the day) the only thing is static and noise and the TV goes through all the channels.

I decided to take the cover off and take a look, It had allot of dust everywhere. Cleaned as much as I could and placed the cover back. the tv worked great! For that evening.

The next day (me being so impressed!) Turned on the TV and same thing, just static and it went through the channels.

I hooked up an Xbox to it to see what would happen. I put it in video mode and absolutely NO problems... it worked like a normal TV. Video mode works everytime even if the set sits for days.

After some time playing (about 30 mins) I put it back to TV mode... No problem viewing Cable TV.

So in order for me to watch TV, I (a) have to put it in video mode for awhile or (b) leave it in TV mode and let it sort of warm up.

Can anyone tell me what might be wrong and how I can fix it, without spending too much money....

I think the problem is in the sliver box where the cable line hooks up to the tv. Would a good shot of compressed air all over the board and the sliver box, maybe fix this problem? Since the last cleaning I did helped?
Also, pls... laymans terms pls.... I know I can fix this but need some help in the right direction.

crawdaddy
New User

Feb 15, 2005, 4:39 PM

Post #2 of 7 (1489 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wolfer14] Toshiba TV28C30 Chass. 9335 [In reply to] Can't Post

This is about as far-fetched as i've ever gotten in the repair business, but here goes; I had a set in my shop a long time ago with the symptom you describe...is it possible that your tv is plugged in to a receptacle that is controlled by a light switch? I ask this because after much searching about the set in the shop that was really giving me grief, I found out that the damn thing had a tuner that, when the AC power was disconnected, would lose it's memory, and re-program itself after being plugged in and turned on again. There was nothing wrong with the set, you just had to make sure it was never unplugged. I don't recall the make of that tv, and I've never seen that"feature" in any other set I've ever serviced, and if it's not your problem, please post again, so we can look at some other possibilities.Smile

wolfer14
New User

Feb 16, 2005, 8:46 AM

Post #3 of 7 (1484 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crawdaddy] Toshiba TV28C30 Chass. 9335 [In reply to] Can't Post

No wish it was that problem.

This set simply will not receive any cable channels when it's first turned on. Now let me clarify this. If I turn on the set at 7am (been off all night) the TV shows nothing but snow (like a channel with no broadcasting) if the set stays on for about 30 - 60 mins it will then show all channels through my cable provider. As if it needs to warm up.

Now lets say it's 7am and I turn on the set but instead of watching TV, I want to watch a VHS tape, where the VCR is connected to the RCA cables in the back of the set. As soon as I hit the TV/Video button to go into Video mode. The TV set displays a perfect picture. Every time, anytime.

UPDATE !!!!!

I was just playing with the SET (actually going to time how long it take it to show a image)

I grabbed the back of the coaxial cable line and wiggled it around. It did change the pattern of the snow image. I then pushed it as far left as I could and then all of a sudden.... the Image appeared. If I let go, it goes right back to a snow image. Hold it to the left again, the image comes back....
I'm now thinking that the sliver box where your cable line is screwed onto must have a weak solder point on the board. If I solder all points hopefully my problem will disappear.

I'll post my findings.....
Wink

crawdaddy
New User

Feb 16, 2005, 6:19 PM

Post #4 of 7 (1476 views)
Shortcut

That's good news wolfer...should be a simple fix...maybe try swapping the main cable before you even look inside the tv...it could even be as simple as that..here's hopin'Cool

mel
Veteran

Feb 16, 2005, 11:55 PM

Post #5 of 7 (1472 views)
Shortcut

I have had occasions where the female contacts on the inside of the connector had lost their tensile strength or had spread to where they were not making good contact with the coax. I have used a fine pointed probe to pry the contacts back together or the easiest way is the tin the coax end to add a little more thickness and provide a good contact. You might also want to check out www.FreeFlatScreens.com/?r=10948674 for an opportunity to earn a free replacement for this set with a little effort on your part

wolfer14
New User

Feb 17, 2005, 8:14 AM

Post #6 of 7 (1470 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Toshiba TV28C30 Chass. 9335 [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay....I somewhat determined the problem. After taking off the back cover and looking at the (have no idea what they call it) silver box, it’s about 2inchs tall 3 inches long and ¼ wide with the female coax soldered onto this box. On both sides there are covers that can be removed. I removed both and viewed on one side having tones of circuits and the other side has colored coils and other stuff. I re-soldered the main points that connect to the main board. I tested it and still have the same problem, but if I grab the box and tilt it to the right or left the image comes in right away.
I managed to bend the box diagonal which would give me a steady image when I would let go of the box.
I put the cover back on and tested the set the next day.

Turned on the TV and it worked… but after about 5mins it would cut in and out. There has to be something in that silver box which is being affected by heat or a lose point due to heat expansion, because as the unit warms up it acts up. But when it’s in operating temp everything seems to work
The set has been on for about 25 mins and hasn’t cut out.

Any ideas…?

mel
Veteran

Feb 17, 2005, 11:31 PM

Post #7 of 7 (1455 views)
Shortcut

The problem is most likely a bad solder joint either in the tuner (that "silver box") or in the solder joints connecting the tuner to the PC board. It could allso be a hairline crack in the PC board in the area of the tuner. Use a magnifying glass and look for these conditions.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.21 s on (CGI/1.1)