Toshiba TV Problem, someone help

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

KripTed
New User

Jul 31, 2007, 5:05 PM

Post #26 of 33 (1939 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HiTech] Toshiba TV Problem, someone help [In reply to] Can't Post

also, ive noticed that when i first turn it on, those spots are not there untill it has been on longer then like 10 minutes, not even. and yes, i have a CRT. and thanks roborr for tryna compete with RetiredGuy and HiTech (seems like u love tryna prove ur point to them, like u look up to them). neways i dont know much about these degaussing coils and such. i tried letting it fix itself on its own and nothing has happened yet. i really dont know what it is, but now that roborr is telling me not to use a wand, im not sure wether are not i should. lol. i know for sure i do not want to make the problem worst then what it already is. lol ne ways, thanks for all the replies guys, i appreciate them. dont delete this thread!, as i will be using this now and more then likely in the future.

(This post was edited by KripTed on Jul 31, 2007, 5:06 PM)

HiTech
User

Jul 31, 2007, 8:12 PM

Post #27 of 33 (1927 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KripTed] Toshiba TV Problem, someone help [In reply to] Can't Post

Some more information on the subject for you to read.
http://www.repairfaq.org/.../tvfaq/tvdegacrt.htm
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/crtfaq.htm Poor TV Screen Purity
Poor purity might cause either poor white tone consistency across the screen or it may only be noticeable on totally red, green or blue screens where different coloured blotches appear in certain parts of the screen. Poor white tone consistency in particular seems to be a fairly common problem on large screen Toshiba CRT TV's. To minimise outside magnetic influences which can make the problem worse, always keep sources of magnetic fields like un-magnetically screened HiFi speakers and the like away from your TV by at least 1.5 metres. ONLY Magnetically screened speakers like the ones Toshiba supply as part of the surround sound system, may be placed directly under the TV screen on a cabinet shelf on on top of the TV. Even abiding by these rules, screen blotches on all-white screens can often be a problem on large widescreen TV's and Toshiba seems to be aware of the issue. Various people have told me that Toshiba says such problems are "normal" and "to be expected". To minimise this problem YOU CAN HELP by always keeping the contrast setting of the TV below 70 and brightness preferably below 60. This improves the picture enormously too in terms of improving picture detail. Screen corner blotches are corrected using small stick on 'bow tie' magnets on the tube back. Toshiba should be able to supply purity correction magnets such as these to a professional service engineer to try to correct any serious screen corner white tone consistency problems you may have. The 'bow tie' purity magnet is moved around the screen back with the TV switched on until the white tone consistency is optimised in the affected area, then the magnet is stuck on the tube. A serious risk of electric shock or death is always present when working on TV's with the cover removed. Do not attempt such adjustments yourself. Leave this to a professional qualified TV engineer! ***
*** http://www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/tvtools.htm

Purity error

Degaussing coil

Purity
A lack of purity manifests itself by colours that are not the same from one side or corner of the picture to another. It shouldn't have to be checked more than once a month, unless stray magnetic forces have accidentally come near the monitor. Turn off the green and blue beams, leaving only the red. Turn the contrast control to minimum and increase the brightness until a medium bright red raster appears. Look for a uniform colour. If you find a problem, use the degausser switch on the monitor. If you still don't have good results, be certain that no stray magnetic fields are near the monitor, e.g., an audio speaker. The internal degaussing system usually works fine, unless the cabinet itself has become magnetized. If you must use a degaussing coil, here's how. Remove your watch and other magnetically sensitive jewellery and adornments (finger rings, earrings, and other body piercings will probably be okay). Hold the coil about an inch away from the picture tube and/or cabinet. Move the coil in a slow circular motion parallel to the monitor for about 3 to 5 seconds. Back away about 6 feet and turn off the coil while it is perpendicular to the picture tube.

rrobor
Veteran

Aug 1, 2007, 6:44 AM

Post #28 of 33 (1918 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HiTech] Toshiba TV Problem, someone help [In reply to] Can't Post

My issue is the guy wants to fix his TV. This is a one off fix, he is not as you or I, commercial. And as you state going out to gaming machines where time is a cost factor. Not only this. You state that you have more than one. Then your experience tells you this is a malicious act, rather lame though as there is a much easier method to do extreme damage to these machines, that I will not publish here. Never the less if you have a 1 off as he has, he wants to fix himself. My degauss wand cost $90 US 20 years ago only needed after my truck got serviced and I found my old wand the size of a football. Now if his set will not degauss by using normal methods several times over the space of a few days he has a fault. That is my arguement, not that its easy to clean and finish in one go as a tech. This guy is not a tech, he is a home fixer.

RetiredTVguy2
User

Aug 2, 2007, 7:50 PM

Post #29 of 33 (1887 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] Toshiba TV Problem, someone help [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah yeah, I know I said Im out-a here, I just want to clarify something, I am not in competition with rrobor, he is a good tech and I see many responces by him to many questions with good results, in this case we are simply in disagreement. HiTech seems to have a good answer for you I would go with that.

Amongst Techs one thing we all can agree on is to disagree, Kripted I hope you find the fix and I wish you luck!!!Wink
rrobor, no hard feelings buddy...keep up the good work!Smile Youu too HiTech!
----------------------------------------------------------
When everyone treats you bad, turn to your dog, he or she will understand!
-----------------------------------------------------------
I dont mind working, as long as it doesn't interfere with fishing!

rrobor
Veteran

Aug 3, 2007, 12:58 AM

Post #30 of 33 (1878 views)
Shortcut

I dont reply to anyone unless I believe their answer incorrect. You have now added in another dimention to your fault which changes the entire thing. There is no issue with your TV, you can degauss it if you like, you will not fix it. You have an external fault, a magnet is too close to the TV. Now I come from an area in the world with vast deposits of iron. We have times a TV will not work correctly in the spot chosen regardless of what is done. Other times its caused by speakers, once was a garage door through the wall, and that degaussed fixed it. But forget the TV it is degaussing correctly, then as time passes the external magnetic source is slowly eating in. To prove that, turn the TV by 90 degrees and check your purity.

KripTed
New User

Aug 3, 2007, 5:32 PM

Post #31 of 33 (1860 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] Toshiba TV Problem, someone help [In reply to] Can't Post

the picture that hitech posted doesnt look like what my TV is doing. my TV has them at the very bottom of the screen, kinda where my xbox and Nintendo are. u say its a magnet inteference robor? i could try turning my TV 90 degrees see if that does anything. does it matter which way of 90 degrees? 90 degrees left? right? if it was a magnet problem how come i havent noticed it at all before??? unless like i said, that the Nintendo Wii was 2 close at one point and that maybe caused it, cause thats when i noticed it. theres also sumthing else id like to mention, my tv has an audio hum as well, not 2 bad, but u can notice it. do u think that maybe might make a difference? i guess if worst comes to worst i can always get a TV repairman to look at it.

i know i didnt have ne speakers near this TV, i once had a Subwoofer close to the TV and even then i didnt notice the spots. only time i have noticed the spots was when i moved my nintendo up a level. next thing i know, im watching TV, as soon as i go to "Guide" on my cable box its very noticeable. it seems that sometimes u cant notice it right when u turn it on, u have to give it a few minutes to like overheat or sumthing lol. its also noticeable on all equipment when they are being played or put on such as (DVD, Normal TV, xbox 360, Nintendo Wii).

HiTech
User

Aug 3, 2007, 6:13 PM

Post #32 of 33 (1857 views)
Shortcut

Purity problems do not anchor themselves to one location on the screen. They can appear anywhere but the edges and corners are commonplace. Just try to degauss the CRT as we've suggested, replace your associated components back in place one by one, taking note that the picture is still ok. You may want to keep the television tuned to a channel that has still frames on it rather than one of fluctuation(action video). That menu signal is a good start. If the problem returns then you may have an issue with the auto-degauss circuit as rrobor suggests. But I have degaussed many a television that displayed severe purity problems caused by pranksters using strong magnets, and the sets remained clean looking for a long time.

rrobor
Veteran

Aug 3, 2007, 11:01 PM

Post #33 of 33 (1849 views)
Shortcut

The problem displayed by Hitech is excessive, yours will not look like that. It may be caused by the transformers in your other units, that is why I said leave everything where it is except the TV, rotate that by 90 deg, if the spots change you will have to re-arange your stuff. That you didnt notice it before is common, like any blemish, once spotted your eye is drawn to it. It may also be the yoke has slightly altered and caused the TV to be closer to being out. In that instance I dont advise you try adjusting that, without lots of equipment and experience the amateur will muck that up and its not needed anyway. Magnets can be any piece of steel, the larger the lump, the worse it is, it can also be girders in walls or in the soil below the house if you live in an iron rich area, so dont look for a magnet, look for metal. A magnet has a N and S so if you turn the TV any way at all it will alter that field if that is the issue.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.22 s on (CGI/1.1)