Toshiba TV Problem, someone help

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

KripTed
New User

Jul 23, 2007, 10:21 PM

Post #1 of 33 (3637 views)
Shortcut
Toshiba TV Problem, someone help Can't Post

ok, i baught a new Toshiba TV, i never noticed anything wrong with it at first. ne ways, just recently i can notice these 2 color spots on the tv, one is in the bottom right hand corner, and one is kinda like in the middle, but its at the bottom of the TV black strip thingy. ne ways, i never noticed this thing at all, the equipment i have near my TV are:
DVD Player
Cable/TV Box
Xbox360, Nintendo Wii
Subwoofer and such but its not even near the TV!!
the DVD player i have, and the entertainment center/stand i have, the DVD player is at the very top of the stand and not that close to the TV.
the xbox 360 and nintendo wii are at the very very bottom of the stand, and the xbox360 sits on one of the sides and the nintendo sits on the other side, both at the bottom of the stand.

the only thing i done prior was moving all of my stuff to a different location in my living room, even then i didnt notice the color spots. then after that i had moved my nintendo wii up abit, onto a shelf thats abit more closer to the bottom of the TV, but near the very bottom of the stand (where the 360 and wii use to be), then i noticed those color spots. so what i did was move my Wii back where it use to be, and the color spots still remain. if someone could help me, id really appreciate this, ive tried moving things and nothing is working

and oh ya, my DVD player use to be on a shelf a lil bit above the TV but i moved it to the very top of the stand. sorry if im confusing u lol, but i hope someone can help. thanks.

also the color spots look blue/purpleish and a tint of yellow, kinda

(This post was edited by KripTed on Jul 24, 2007, 12:30 AM)

mikemaiertv
Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007, 6:43 PM

Post #2 of 33 (3616 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KripTed] Toshiba TV Problem, someone help [In reply to] Can't Post

All that wonderful worthless info now how about a model number?
Mike Owens Owner Competition TV Spokane WA.

KripTed
New User

Jul 24, 2007, 7:27 PM

Post #3 of 33 (3614 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikemaiertv] Toshiba TV Problem, someone help [In reply to] Can't Post

damn, im not sure what the model number is? where can i find it? on the back of the TV? plus, i got it from Sears. its a 27'' TV. i can find it on sears and show u the picture lol

how is it worthless info? thats helpfull info, all i forgot was a model number and etc. sorry, im not a TV repair man, that isnt my job. i came here looking for help. if ur gonnabe rude, please, save it for someone else, cause im not in the mood.

i think the problem is from the nintendo, cause the color spots look like where i exactly placed the nintendo, or on/about the same place where i placed the nintendo, im thinking its permenantly damaged now from having it there so long. i guess since no one is going to helpfull, ill just have to live with it.

like i said, where do i find the model number and etc? if u would have said where, i coulda just posted it.

sillybubba
New User

Jul 24, 2007, 8:15 PM

Post #4 of 33 (3607 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
All that wonderful worthless info now how about a model number?

Aren't you the intellinent fellow.
All of that info is not worthless. If he just gave you the model number and nothing else would you be able to help him? I am guessing no. Stop being a jerk.

mikemaiertv
Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007, 9:19 PM

Post #5 of 33 (3599 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sillybubba] Toshiba TV Problem, someone help [In reply to] Can't Post

Sure know lots about this Ok just from Toshiba model line,,, All models
For plasmas: there could be a problem with what is called the LVDS cable this causes spots to form in dark areas, the panel may also have the wrong vooltage going to it this might be fixed with a simpla adjustment, May also have a defective scaler board these have been know to cause this problem as well. Finaly the panel it self may be defective to replace this prices start at about 1200.00
DLP: could simply have the lens or mirror contaminated, could be the digi board and its conectors, somtimes a firmware update might solve this problem, but if the DMD board is bad then you most likly will have to replace the entire light engine . If this is a model that runns a color wheel could have a spot on it this will cause a slight distortion
Projection: Most common problem with these is the convergance Ic's fail this causes colors to separate ther could also be weak resitor in this curcuit that might cause this, also there has been known problems with the jungle Ic , and of cource this has mirrors and screens that can become contaminated, Some models have what is called a Hyper board, changing a few dozen capacitors will usaly save these. And since the are CRT based sets each and every tube might be set up wrong and you will have to do a purity setup on them, or one or more CRT might be burned and the image will be there till you replace the CRT's
Direct view: Many times the degause thermistor has gone weak or failed all together, then the set simply does not demaganitize the crt, replacing this thermistor and/or the relay drive curcuit fixes this, And there are purity magnet on the tube, sometimes they fall off or with ruff handling the alighment ring will get moved, And with all CRT based sets there might be a image burnt to the screen. Or mabe weak drive IC's for the CRT, bad caps? cold solder joints? This set like the projection has jungle Ic's and microprocessers that could cause this.
Or simply take the set down to the local shop and see if a external de-gause ring will pull the pix back
Exact same syptom three differant types of "Toshiba's"
Mike Owens Owner Competition TV Spokane WA.

mel
Veteran

Jul 24, 2007, 9:31 PM

Post #6 of 33 (3596 views)
Shortcut

All set have a sticker on the back cover which contains the model number. A model number will at least tell us if it is a CRT, LCD, Plasma TV. If you read the "sticky" at the start of this site, you would have seen that a model number should be included in your post. From your lengthy description, I suspect that it is a CRT set and all of your moving components around has messed up the purity. If you have or had any kind of magnetic device such as a speaker close to the CRT, it will affect the purity and can be corrected by degaussing the CRT. Try moving all of those external devices away from the TV, unplug it for a few minutes and turn it back on. If it is a purity problem, the automatic degaussing circuit sure cure your problem.

KripTed
New User

Jul 25, 2007, 3:08 AM

Post #7 of 33 (3586 views)
Shortcut

thanks for the post guys. yes the TV i have is CRT, im pretty sure of it. i didnt have ne speaker near the TV at all. the only thing i can think of that i had real close was the nintendo wii at one point, and also the DVD player. it seems that the image has burnt on it or w.e mike said. thanks for the post mike, ill try what u said, see if that does anything. i rather not go see a repair guy lol, but if it comes down to that, then i guess i gotta. the color spots are only noticeable on certain solid colors. i did move the TV, so maybe the "purity magnet on the tube" fell off like u said mike. its hard to determine the cause i guess, all i know is i didnt ruff handle the TV. it seems less noticeable when i moved a few things around, but its still there! lol.

and for the model number, i noticed the sticker thingy on the back, i didnt know i had to post the model number, i dont feel like moving all of my stuff to look at the back, so lemme know if the model number is really nessicary. ne ways thanks for the post, if anyone else has any suggestions or ideas, please feel free.

(This post was edited by KripTed on Jul 25, 2007, 3:09 AM)

rrobor
Veteran

Jul 25, 2007, 10:20 AM

Post #8 of 33 (3576 views)
Shortcut

Is the friggin front glass and is has it a bump at the back IE more than 20cm deep. Do you switch it of at the power or use the remote, if you use the remote, switch it off from the power. Has it a degauss function, if so use that. did you read the customer instructions, if not, do so.

HiTech
User

Jul 25, 2007, 2:39 PM

Post #9 of 33 (3566 views)
Shortcut

rrobor,
After reading your comment, don't ever, ever comment about me, analyzing my responses. At least mine can be read and understood by fairly intelligent people (and they don't even need to be familiar with "Bill" Shakespeare either)!
KripTed,
Let me get this straight in my head: these color spots appeared only after you relocated the set and the other items in the room? If the television set is a fairly large one (30" +) they often are affected my surrounding magnetic fields, even that of the earth's. My first suspicion is a "degaussing" or demagnetizing one. Subwoofers typically have large magnet assemblies in them unless they are magnetically shielded and state it that way. I'm not familiar with magnetic shielding efforts in Nintendo Wii or the Xbox game consoles. Typically DVD and VCR units don't affect magnetic fields around the television. The large CRT type televisions (ones with glass picture tube) seem more prone to color spotting caused by stray magnetic fields. At this point in time, a model number isn't necessary since the symptom and repair are generic in nature and apply to all sets of this type. Check your PM box as I have sent you a message. You may want to refer to this thread for further info. and solutions:
http://www.tv-forums.com/...reen_tint..._P33456/

(This post was edited by HiTech on Jul 25, 2007, 2:47 PM)

KripTed
New User

Jul 25, 2007, 4:46 PM

Post #10 of 33 (3558 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HiTech] Toshiba TV Problem, someone help [In reply to] Can't Post

i never noticed the spots when i had moved the TV, only when i moved the nintendo from where it is, up a level! then it seems like where i placed the nintendo the spots are kinda in that same position. i turn off the TV from the button itself, sometimes i use the remote, but most of the time i go directly to the tv and press it. i had problems with my nintendo before, i had called their company and the lady on the phone told me that Wii's magnets are very powerful! so maybe thats what really did it. if thats the cause, then i guess i need a demagnetizer? or get it repaired? like i said, its very noticeable on certain solid colors like (red, white, yellow). when its letterbox or widescreen or w.e i dont notice the spots at all, but thats because the widescreen covers it up lol.

RetiredTVguy2
User

Jul 25, 2007, 5:13 PM

Post #11 of 33 (3554 views)
Shortcut

No you do not need a demagnetizer. Try removing the nintendo from the area, un plug the set for a few min, try 10 min or so. Plug it back in and start it up, the set should auto degause, if not then it needs to be degaused with a degausing coil, which is a magnet. Do NOT! demagnetize!!

[retired]
----------------------------------------------------------
When everyone treats you bad, turn to your dog, he or she will understand!
-----------------------------------------------------------
I dont mind working, as long as it doesn't interfere with fishing!

KripTed
New User

Jul 25, 2007, 5:21 PM

Post #12 of 33 (3551 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RetiredTVguy2] Toshiba TV Problem, someone help [In reply to] Can't Post

i have already moved the nintendo. it is still there. thats why i think its more then likely damaged now cause i had it sit there for awhile before i even noticed. yah i dont know much about this stuff. what does demagnetizing consist of? lol, ive heard of the degaussing coil tho lol.

HiTech
User

Jul 25, 2007, 6:58 PM

Post #13 of 33 (3541 views)
Shortcut

My bad! Yes do not use a demagnetizer, the kind used to erase audio/video tapes. RetiredTVGuy2 is correct technically speaking. Degaussing a tv picture tube can be done with much caution and care using a demagnetizer but often results is worsening of the problem. Use a degaussing coil like the large O-ring types as shown on eBay.

(This post was edited by HiTech on Jul 25, 2007, 7:00 PM)

KripTed
New User

Jul 25, 2007, 7:19 PM

Post #14 of 33 (3537 views)
Shortcut

cant u just buy a deguassing coil at an electronic store maybe? lol. thanks for the replies guys, ill get a deguassing coil, see if that does the trick.

HiTech
User

Jul 25, 2007, 8:40 PM

Post #15 of 33 (3533 views)
Shortcut

Most consumer electronic stores like Radio Shack or Best Buy do not carry that specialized item... not enough demand to take up shelving real estate.

RetiredTVguy2
User

Jul 26, 2007, 5:41 PM

Post #16 of 33 (3521 views)
Shortcut

Just removing the nintendo is not going to fix it, you have to first remove the nintendo then "degause". Also you dont want to chance damageing the nintendo, also remove any device such as VCR's & tape players, you can ruin the audio heads.
[retired]

KripTed
New User

Jul 26, 2007, 6:04 PM

Post #17 of 33 (3518 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RetiredTVguy2] Toshiba TV Problem, someone help [In reply to] Can't Post

so ur saying, remove everything before i use the deguassing coil? or?? and do u mean, like unplug it and move it off the entertainment stand? lol.

HiTech
User

Jul 26, 2007, 8:26 PM

Post #18 of 33 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Once you have a degaussing coil in your posession, remove all items from the television surroundings. Degauss the set as I explained in my PM to you. If all looks well on your picture tube, you can begin to replace the other electronic items near the TV, one by one, noting if there are any ill-changes from that specific item. Worse comes to worse, you'd have to remove that item that's creating the color problems and degauss once again.

RetiredTVguy2
User

Jul 28, 2007, 3:19 PM

Post #19 of 33 (3478 views)
Shortcut

Dito, to HiTech

rrobor
Veteran

Jul 29, 2007, 9:58 AM

Post #20 of 33 (3469 views)
Shortcut

HiTech, if you will take note, no one ever mentioned is this TV an LCD, CRT, or a plasma. Now if its an LCD you can wave a degauss coil till you see a host of golden daffodil. (just to show Im not fixated with Bill). So where is your issue. I suggest the guy turns off the power to his TV. If it is a degauss issue the set has a function inbuilt to fix that, buying a degauss wand is not an option. A unit of the power required is not stocked in the average shop, the cost of my degauss wand was at the time 1/3 of the average weekly wage, and is seldom used. If this is a magnetic issue, 1/ the set will fix that or 2/ the set has a fault. So please if you err, dont blame me

RetiredTVguy2
User

Jul 29, 2007, 3:17 PM

Post #21 of 33 (3463 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] Toshiba TV Problem, someone help [In reply to] Can't Post

rrobor, if you start at the top and scroll down to reply #7 he does indeed say it's a CRT.

HiTech
User

Jul 30, 2007, 1:03 PM

Post #22 of 33 (3447 views)
Shortcut

rrbor
As RetiredTVGuy2 said, KripTed states above that the set is a CRT type, and also verified that via his PM to me. You and I both know well that a good many internal degaussing circuits are not effective in removing stubborn color blotches. If that were the case, there wouldn't be the need to manufacture manually operated degaussing coils!

rrobor
Veteran

Jul 31, 2007, 9:09 AM

Post #23 of 33 (3427 views)
Shortcut

The answer is no he never said it was a CRT, anyways I replied to him not to an answer so my posting does not come before he said he thought it was a CRT. External degauss coils are a hoax, they confuse what the matter is. If the set has a purity problem the internal degauss coils will fix that. The local School wished me to degauss all their monitors as a student had run a heavy magnet across them. I asked them to degauss them several times by their own internal units over a period of several hours. All cleared correctly. Yes I used a degauss wand but only because it saves time on a unit where a magnet has been used to create a fault and you know that. If a set does not degauss correctly it is a fault, wave a wand and you will hide that fault and not know if its internal or external. The usual here is the set remains on standby and never degausses. So no I dont agree with you, a flashover in the PTC can be degaussed out but you will have a recall.

RetiredTVguy2
User

Jul 31, 2007, 10:56 AM

Post #24 of 33 (3425 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] Toshiba TV Problem, someone help [In reply to] Can't Post

Im done with this one, there's no convincing here and this is just turning into a "not the way I do it" war. You say potato I say patata! Can't count how many sets I have degaused that were upset by a magnet and never got called back.

But go ahead the rest of you, my advise is degausse it with a coil, and he did say it is a CRT in responce #7, it's right there in black and white print, Im out-a here!

HiTech
User

Jul 31, 2007, 1:31 PM

Post #25 of 33 (3423 views)
Shortcut

rrobor said: "a flashover in the PTC can be degaussed out but you will have a recall."
Maybe, maybe not. I can assure you from first hand experience that a strong magnet malicously applied to a CRT by juvenile delinquents visiting video game arcades requires a manual degaussing coil to restore the pictures. Waiting for dozens of CRTs to self-degauss over time proved to be a waste of time and mounting customer complaints.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.24 s on (CGI/1.1)