Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Turned tv off, (Zenith A27B33W) and now it won't turn back on..."spark gap high voltage" issue?

aesoj
New User

May 28, 2005, 7:08 AM

Post #1 of 4 (2338 views)
Shortcut
Turned tv off, (Zenith A27B33W) and now it won't turn back on..."spark gap high voltage" issue? Can't Post

Hi,

I turned my Zenith A27B33W off and when I try to turn it back on, you can still hear it "clicking" inside (like it previously did prior to coming on) but it doesn't turn on afterwards. Also, although the "clicking" sound is still there when I press the power button, it isn't always as strong as it was before the set stopped working. The reason I say that the clicking isn't always as strong as before is because if I unplug the set for several minutes, the first time I press the power button upon plugging the cord back in, the "clicking" sound is just as strong as before the set stopped working...but the set still doesn't turn on.

Also, I opened up the set and when I unplugged the power cord from the main board, I noticed some black "soot" behind the connector. Directly behind where the black soot appears on the power cord connector (when it's connected to the board) there sits a piece that looks like it has been damaged. Upon looking the part (38-102) up on the internet, I came up with a "spark gap high voltage" Can this simple little piece cause a set to not turn on? Will replacing just this part fix my tv? I know it's hard to diagnose a problem without actually having the set in front of you, but is it worth replacing this part myself prior to taking the set in to a professional service shop?...and what exactly does a "spark gap high voltage" do? (for future reference) Thank you in advance for any help/advice that anyone can give me.

and great site by the way.

-Jose

nic6
New User

May 30, 2005, 9:33 AM

Post #2 of 4 (2301 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aesoj] Turned tv off, (Zenith A27B33W) and now it won't turn back on..."spark gap high voltage" issue? [In reply to] Can't Post

The same has just happened to my Sony (1994 32" model).

I turned it on this morning it worked ok for 5 minutes then the picture went and it won't turn on.

Have not taken the back off yet though, probably a dry joint.Frown

shadetree
Veteran

May 30, 2005, 2:11 PM

Post #3 of 4 (2292 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aesoj] Turned tv off, (Zenith A27B33W) and now it won't turn back on..."spark gap high voltage" issue? [In reply to] Can't Post

the spark gap is to protect set from voltage surge or lightning will usually look burned not likely your problem

aesoj
New User

Jun 3, 2005, 11:39 PM

Post #4 of 4 (2256 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shadetree] Turned tv off, (Zenith A27B33W) and now it won't turn back on..."spark gap high voltage" issue? [In reply to] Can't Post

So is there anything that you can suggest me checking before I take it in to the repair shop? What could it be then? I'm pretty handy with a multimeter if I have a rough idea of what (and where) to look for. Thanks in advance.

-Jose

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.22 s on (CGI/1.1)