Two TVs die within 3 hours

sdodd
New User

Aug 20, 2004, 4:17 AM

Post #1 of 3 (1747 views)
Shortcut
Two TVs die within 3 hours Can't Post

All,

I'd appreciate any advice that you can give me.

When I got home from work today, my wife told me that our 8 year old JVC AV-27750 had no picture, just a thin horizontal line across it. Based on searches, I believe the vertical deflection has some type of issue. So then I move our spare TV (Sony KV20M42) into the living room, hook it up and let the kids have at it. Three hours later the Sony won't keep itself on. When you try to turn it on, it turns itself off. On the off chance it does get on, I have a thin horizontal line across the screen, that sometimes goes bigger (50% of the screen) then back down to thin.

Granted, both of these sets are older. (8 years for the JVC and 5 years for the Sony) However, having them both die within hours of each other, with similar failure modes makes me think I have a problem with my house or a component that is causing this problem. I don't really want to spend money on a new TV or fixing the old ones, if I'll just break it again. What do you all think?

I have a cable into the back of the TV, a Tivo, DVD, and Nintendo also feeding into it. Sound goes out to an amp (for the JVC.. the sony didn't have a sound out). The house is only 10 years old and my powerstrip/surge protector didn't see anything.

Can anybody assure me that I won't blow up another TV?

Thanks for your help!

-simon

shadetree
Veteran

Aug 20, 2004, 5:30 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1723 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sdodd] Two TVs die within 3 hours [In reply to] Can't Post

sounds like the sony needs pins on vertical ic resoldered may be same thing on the other tv if not replace ic

sdodd
New User

Aug 20, 2004, 7:34 PM

Post #3 of 3 (1714 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shadetree] Two TVs die within 3 hours [In reply to] Can't Post

Shadetree,

thanks for the thoughts! I'll open them up and see what it looks like.

take care,

simon

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)