Jun 27, 2012, 1:53 PM

Post #1 of 12 (18666 views)
Shortcut
VIZIO LCD TV Mounting Bolts Stuck Can't Post

Hello All,

SPECS:
TV: 37" VIZIO LCD HDTV
Model: VIZIO E370VA

So last night I began installing my "Single Stud" wall mount for my LCD TV. I finally got the mount up on the wall.
I then held the TV up to the "backplate" of the mount as someone else began screwing in the bolts through the wall mount's
backplate and into the TV.

We had gotten 2 bolts into place, but then the other two bolts we couldn't seem to get them to screw in.
Finally after 10+ Min or so we decided to remove the bolts and bring down the TV to try and see what the problem was.
The two bolts that were in correctly came out just fine, but then while trying to remove the other 2 bolts that wouldn't seem
to screw in, they would NOT come out of the back of the TV...

I eventually had to remove a bolt from the mount itself and bring the backplate part of the mount down while still attached to the
TV. So I layed the TV face down on the rug to investigate the problem and I realized the 2 bolts would not come out from the back at ALL...
One bolt was practically hanging out by the skin of it's teeth. it was literally a centimeter or less still into the back mounting hole.

The bolts just spin and spin and spin but won't come out. The other bolt that's stuck is ALMOST completely into the hole all the way and
does the same thing, it just spins and spins.

Does anyone know, or has anyone seen this problem before while mounting a TV?
My guess is that the metal threaded "sleeve" that is just below the plastic back of the tv has come completely loose, and maybe that's why
it just spins without coming out, because the "sleeve is spinning with the bolt. Making it impossible to screw in or out. But I cannot see into
the hole in the back because the Backplate is blocking my view.

If anyone has ANY suggestions at all, PLEASE feel free... I really didn't want to have to start removing the entire back of the TV but I have
a feeling that it will come to that.

Thanks in Advance,
Matt

jts1957
Veteran

Jun 27, 2012, 6:47 PM

Post #2 of 12 (18644 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mrm5102] VIZIO LCD TV Mounting Bolts Stuck [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's the specs for the TV:

WALL MOUNT SPECIFICATIONS
Hole Pattern: 200mmx200mm
Screw Size: M6
Screw Length: 10mm
Screw Pitch: 1.0mm

What are specs for the hardware you're attempting to use?

-------------------------

mrm5102
New User

Jun 27, 2012, 6:50 PM

Post #3 of 12 (18642 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] VIZIO LCD TV Mounting Bolts Stuck [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey jts1957, thanks for the reply.

I used those exact Bolts for the TV. "M6 x 10mm"
That's why I'm confused why this would happen..?

Thanks Again,
Matt

(This post was edited by mrm5102 on Jun 27, 2012, 6:51 PM)

mrm5102
New User

Jun 27, 2012, 6:57 PM

Post #4 of 12 (18640 views)
Shortcut

I even chated with Vizio in an online chat and said the same thing and she told me that it's my fault and it won't be
covered under the Manufacturers Warranty.

She tried telling me that this can only happen when you either use the wrong bolts, or when you tighten them too much...
Both of which are untrue, bc I used the correct bolts and I couldn't even get the bolts entirely into the hole. So how could
I have tightened them too much if they wouldn't even go all the way in? And how can they tell me it's "My Fault" without
even looking at it.... Despicable!!

After that experience with their Customer Service and calling me a liar basically, I won't be doing business with them again.

Thanks,
Matt

jts1957
Veteran

Jun 27, 2012, 7:22 PM

Post #5 of 12 (18641 views)
Shortcut

Two words:

Cross Threading

mrm5102
New User

Jun 27, 2012, 8:03 PM

Post #6 of 12 (18638 views)
Shortcut

Huh? Whats that mean?

-Matt

jts1957
Veteran

Jun 27, 2012, 9:35 PM

Post #7 of 12 (18633 views)
Shortcut

(engineering) To screw together two threaded pieces without aligning the threads correctly.

mrm5102
New User

Jun 27, 2012, 9:43 PM

Post #8 of 12 (18632 views)
Shortcut

Oh ok... Thanks for the explanation.

So it could have happened with the correct screws if it wasn't aligmed correctly while screwing it in?

Thanks Again,
Matt

jts1957
Veteran

Jun 27, 2012, 9:56 PM

Post #9 of 12 (18626 views)
Shortcut

YES.

You may be forced into using a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to cut the bolt head off so you can investigate further.

If it does secure to plastic, remember heat from cutting will deform/melt.

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Jun 27, 2012, 9:58 PM)

mrm5102
New User

Jun 28, 2012, 1:39 PM

Post #10 of 12 (18623 views)
Shortcut

Hey jts1957, thanks again for the reply...

It's funny you said that cause last night I figured I would have to cut the head of the bolt off because I tried removing
the backpanel of the TV to possibly see if I could see what was going on. So I got all the screws out and was able to
peek inside and my suspicions were correct. It seems that the little metal "sleeve" looking thing that it screws into had
come completely off of the little bracket it was attached to and wasn't able to keep it from spinning in order to unscrew the bolt.
As well as it keeping me from completely removing the backpanel.

So after nervously/cautiously cutting off the bolt I was able to remove the backpanel completely. And I could see that the
bolt was going into the "sleeve" on a bit of an angle. And I wasn't able to remove the bolt from it because the "sleeve" was
very smooth and could not keep it from spinning with the bolt because I couldn't get a good grip on it.

So what I thought about doing now that I know I can't reuse this "sleeve" (BTW, does the "sleeve" have an official name?) was
to use a nut and a washer on the the other side of this square shaped bracket thing that it was attached to, and screw the bolt through
the hole in the bracket and into the nut. I figured it is basically the same thing...

I wanted to post a picture of the bracket thing that's attached to the back of the TV, inside the backpanel, but I can't attach any pictures
with my post here. And I'm sure you probably know what I'm talking about any way...

What I think I'm going to do, since I can't exactly hold the nut in place on the other side of the bracket and be able to close up the backpanel,
is to attach the nut to the opposite side of the bracket using Super Glue and hopefully it can hold just long enough till I can get the bolt
slightly tightened, in which then it will be able to be tightened without needing to hold onto the bolt to keep it from spinning.

I'm going to try to attach the nut today and let the Glue settle overnight and give it a try tomorrow. I'm going away on vacation for about a week starting
Saturday so I won't try to actually mount the thing till I get back next weekend, cause I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the thing unattended for a week.

Thanks for your suggestions with this jts1957, I appreciate your help.

Thanks Again,
Matt

mrm5102
New User

Jun 29, 2012, 5:08 AM

Post #11 of 12 (18614 views)
Shortcut

Hey, I had one more question (or more of an observation) if you would be so kind.

When I removed the back of the tv I noticed that there is really ONLY 2 bolts that actually support the tv to the mount. Because I can see that the top 2 bolts screw into 2 metal square looking brackets that attach to the inner frame of the tv, and the bottom two bolts only screw into two of those metal sleeves that are ONLY attached to the plastic backplate.

So would it be safe to say that the 2 bottom bolts aren't really gaining you any structural integrity, but really just prevent the mounting unit from flapping around..?

Thanks Again,
Matt

kato1967
New User

May 24, 2016, 9:25 PM

Post #12 of 12 (7820 views)
Shortcut

So, I am curious, how did this work out for you? It seems the same misfortune has befallen me.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.22 s on (CGI/1.1)