Vizio 46" lcd (pic included)

Jugador
New User

May 19, 2010, 2:07 AM

Post #1 of 8 (5916 views)
Shortcut
Vizio 46" lcd (pic included) Can't Post

Hey fellows...Cool

I'm having a little problem with my (about 1 1/2 year old) Vizio. Here's a pic of the problem.

As you can see, the right side is dark. This happens when I first turn it on, and it will usually "fix itself" in about 15 to 20 minutes.

What I wanted to get advice about is "What do you suppose the problem is? (and) How much should I expect the repair bill to be? Thanks!

http://tinypic.com/r/2hqcrjq/6

Repair man
Enthusiast

May 23, 2010, 6:33 PM

Post #2 of 8 (5875 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jugador] Vizio 46" lcd (pic included) [In reply to] Can't Post

This is actually a bad LCD panel.

If you apply pressure to the edges of the screen and work your way around the outer edges it may clear up.

This will sometimes help; it is a bonding issue on the display connections. If it is it will act up then get good again, the only real repair for this is to replace the LCD panel. It's actually pretty easy to change he LCD panel if you decide to go that route. -- Dan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

Jugador
New User

May 24, 2010, 3:02 PM

Post #3 of 8 (5867 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Repair man] Vizio 46" lcd (pic included) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm...okay.

Btw...I should have mentioned the model# VW46L FHDTV20A, sorry about that.

On another forum that I posted on, the suggestion was replacing the backlight inverter board.

What are the chances of it being that?

Repair man
Enthusiast

May 24, 2010, 5:09 PM

Post #4 of 8 (5860 views)
Shortcut

In my experience with Vizio it's usually the LCD Panel when this occurs. This is a common problem with Vizio so I just replace the panels.

The inverters job is to light the back-lights, so I'm guessing that if it was the inverter you would likely have no back-lights at all.

Also the back-lights run horizontally across the screen. There are 8 or more mini florescent back-light tubes (or more on larger panels) if for some reason the lights weren't lighting properly (bad inverter) you might see horizontal sections darker than the rest of the screen but that would usually indicate back-lights burnt out not bad inverter. With your set the dark areas are vertical (left side vs right side) so this sounds like the LCD panel is not receiving the proper video information to show the correct intensity of the image.

As an experiment try either what I mentioned in my last post or try tapping lightly with open palm on side of cabinet where the picture is the darkest, this will usually cause symptom to temporarily disappear; if this happens then you'll have to replace the LCD panel for a permanent solution.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

(This post was edited by Repair man on May 24, 2010, 5:11 PM)

Jugador
New User

May 24, 2010, 5:24 PM

Post #5 of 8 (5855 views)
Shortcut

Quote="There are 8 or more mini florescent back-light tubes"

AH,Okay, sounds like you're saying I have a CCFL type (florescent) of backlight. The other gentleman was saying I have an LED type for this model. Hope I'm clear on that...thanks

(This post was edited by Jugador on May 24, 2010, 5:33 PM)

Jugador
New User

May 24, 2010, 10:39 PM

Post #6 of 8 (5848 views)
Shortcut

This is actually a bad LCD panel.If you apply pressure to the edges of the screen and work your way around the outer edges it may clear up. This will sometimes help; it is a bonding issue on the display connections. Good call Repair man! I lightly touched the upper right corner of the screen, and viola! Hopefully, that's all I'll have to do for awhile. Changing out the panel sounds expensive. I owe you one! Cool

(This post was edited by Jugador on May 24, 2010, 10:40 PM)

Repair man
Enthusiast

May 24, 2010, 11:08 PM

Post #7 of 8 (5845 views)
Shortcut

That's great news I'm happy to hear that and I'm glad to help.

You may be right about the back-lights being LEDs rather than florescent I didn't check the model number against my notes. If it is LEDs then I'm pretty sure there will not be an inverter (LEDs don't require an inverter)

For those of you that following this post, you'll find my brief description of florescent back-lights higher up in this post. Some LCD flat panel TVs now use LEDs to back-light the panels rather than tiny florescent tubes. The LEDs are a far more efficient means of back-lighting.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

Jugador
New User

Jun 1, 2010, 2:04 AM

Post #8 of 8 (5813 views)
Shortcut

Hey guys...felt like I needed to add an update to this problem in case someone else was trying it and getting different
results. It worked a couple of times and then sometimes it wouldn't work.

So, what I discovered was the panel "bad spot" can be at random places. So, what I do now is
grab a soft cloth (in my case a sock), and rub all over the monitor like your cleaning a window, and it will
fix again.

Sometimes the "spot" will be on the right side, sometimes on the lower left side! Anyways, if you tried tapping the
edges and got nothing, try wiping the whole monitor like window with light pressure. That's working here...cheers.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.22 s on (CGI/1.1)