Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Vizio E500i-B1, failing intermittently

Nickk
New User

Jan 24, 2018, 9:17 PM

Post #1 of 1 (920 views)
Shortcut
Vizio E500i-B1, failing intermittently Can't Post

I'm hoping someone can help us with this weird problem. The TV works most of the time (for months sometimes), then suddenly doesn't work anymore usually for days. Lately it's been failing a lot more. What happens is the logo flashes when you turn it on, but then no picture, just sound. Then if you turn it off & on, there's no sound either. In this state you can see the little white indicator lamp indicating that you turn the TV on or off, but nothing else happens. There are no more logo flashes either. It will stay like this until suddenly one day it will work normally again.

I tested the power board voltages. When the TV works, I get all normal readings (except the points that say "24" give 15 volts, but I've seen other people post that so maybe it's normal in some TVs?). Here are the readings:

+5V: 5.1
+12V: not used
+12V: 12.3
+24V: 15
GND: 0
PS_ON: 2.9
DIM: 3.3

+5V: 5.1
+12V: not used
+12V: 12.3
+24V: 15
NC: not used
ON/OFF: 3.3

After the logo flash, even though there's no picture, the voltages are still exactly as above. But after turning it off/on, it's different: "12" is now only 1.4, "24" is only 1, and "DIM" is 2.3. The other voltages are unchanged. When the TV isn't working, there is no backlight, and the flashlight test shows nothing. The weird thing is that it always goes back to working fine again. Vizio's official repair shop here in Mexico (which is worthless) told us it was the main board but they couldn't get a hold of one. So we bought one online and I changed it myself. It didn't make a difference (we even ended up trying two different boards), so it doesn't seem to be the main board.

I don't really have the expertise to change individual parts on the boards (and also suspect it would be difficult to get those here in Mexico). I mainly want to find out if it's the T-con board or the power board (or a connecting cable). Whatever it is, I probably have to order it from the US, so the shipping is pretty steep (and takes weeks or months).

Main board and power board with connections:

Power board:

Power board test points:

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.23 s on (CGI/1.1)