Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Vizio T-Con Board Bad?

kmlucy
New User

Oct 14, 2017, 12:26 AM

Post #1 of 9 (1120 views)
Shortcut
Vizio T-Con Board Bad? Can't Post

My TV has started displaying groups of flickering colored lines after being on for a few hours. They seem to be somehow related to the content of the screen, as they don't appear at all during some scenes. I am linking to two images; one shows the lines, and the other doesn't. Those two pictures were taken seconds from one another.

They get worse as time goes on, with the tv starting out fine, and then the lines get worse and worse over the course of two hours of so, until the picture is unwatchable.

EDIT: Forgot to include the model: Vizio E55-C1

https://imgur.com/a/GSuGG

(This post was edited by kmlucy on Oct 14, 2017, 12:36 AM)

jts1957
Veteran

Oct 14, 2017, 1:23 AM

Post #2 of 9 (1109 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kmlucy] Vizio T-Con Board Bad? [In reply to] Can't Post

Try unplugging FFCs, burnish ends and reseat them.

-------------------------

kmlucy
New User

Oct 14, 2017, 3:13 AM

Post #3 of 9 (1102 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Vizio T-Con Board Bad? [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried that with no change.

I found this link: https://imgur.com/gSCJ6f1 that was posted a while ago, and it seems to imply that since the lines flicker and change, the problem is upstream of the t-con board. Am I interpreting that right?

If so, do you think it is more likely the main board or the LVDS cable?

kmlucy
New User

Oct 17, 2017, 2:09 AM

Post #4 of 9 (1070 views)
Shortcut

So it's not the t-con board. I bought a replacement, and still have the same issue. Do you think it is the LVDS cable or the main board? Or something else?

jts1957
Veteran

Oct 17, 2017, 8:08 PM

Post #5 of 9 (1065 views)
Shortcut

Try 'racking' the whole panel. Just don't get carried away and crack the TFT glass.
Since it gets worse with use (?heat?) you could try spraying with Freeze Spray to narrow down the area. Ball-grid array I.C.s especially.
You could have received a bad replacement board, but I sort of doubt it (horizontal LINES are never caused by the Tcon - but I've always thunk a line as being continuous from one edge to the opposite edge.)

kmlucy
New User

Oct 17, 2017, 8:55 PM

Post #6 of 9 (1061 views)
Shortcut

No change. I'm nearly 100% sure it isn't the display itself. I think I was able to make the lines better and worse by wiggling the two ribbon cables from the tcon to the display, but that might have been just the normal flickering of the lines.

jts1957
Veteran

Oct 17, 2017, 9:16 PM

Post #7 of 9 (1060 views)
Shortcut

Are the ribbons between Tcon and display plug-in at both ends or Tab bonded on the display end?

kmlucy
New User

Oct 17, 2017, 9:18 PM

Post #8 of 9 (1058 views)
Shortcut

Plug in on both ends. The tcon board I bought actually shipped with ribbon cables as well, so I tried replacing them, but still have the same issue.

jts1957
Veteran

Oct 17, 2017, 9:50 PM

Post #9 of 9 (1057 views)
Shortcut

Well then they plug into the driver board and the driver board is tab bonded to TFT. Tab bonds can and do become bad, usually causing single or multiple usually full length lines. Can be Horizontal or vertical line(s).
If sure Tcon boards are both OK, Main board is cheaper and easier to procure than a panel.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.22 s on (CGI/1.1)