Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Vizio TV rebooting and other issues.

Megaton A
New User

May 3, 2018, 6:31 PM

Post #1 of 3 (1059 views)
Shortcut
Vizio TV rebooting and other issues. Can't Post

I bought a Vizio M49-C1 smart TV a while back on clearance. It was a display model in a 24 hour department store so probably had a ton of hours on it before I bought it.

Recently the TV has begun rebooting itself. I'll turn it on, then after 20 minutes to an hour it will reboot (screen goes black, power light then gets brighter, Vizio logo comes up, then TV comes back on). Usually after rebooting once the TV will work for hours, but occasionally will do it more than once.

I've also had a couple instances where I was trying to switch inputs from my PS4 to my Xbox One, and the TV would not switch. It just stayed on the PS4 input. One time after I finally got it to switch, it stayed on the Xbox then after a few seconds switched itself back to the PS4.

Finally, one night I came home and turned the TV on using the button on the side. I then tried using the remote and the TV would not respond. So I tried using the button on the side to turn it off but that wouldn't work either. I had to unplug the TV to reset it, then the remote and everything worked fine again.

I have tried disabling the CEC feature, disabling the auto off, and doing a factory reset... but the TV is still having the rebooting issues.

The rebooting alone makes me think the power supply board is faulty, but the other issues make me think it could be the main board. I already opened it up and got the part numbers for the boards, but I was hoping to get some ideas on which board to replace before I start throwing money at it. Any ideas? Could a faulty power board cause the other issues? Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

jts1957
Veteran

May 4, 2018, 6:32 AM

Post #2 of 3 (1044 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Megaton A] Vizio TV rebooting and other issues. [In reply to] Can't Post

If Main board uses any ball grid array ICs, one could have developed some bad connections causing many strange symptoms.

-------------------------

Megaton A
New User

May 11, 2018, 3:14 AM

Post #3 of 3 (1020 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Megaton A] Vizio TV rebooting and other issues. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just an update in case anyone else has these problems and stumbles across this post; I ended up ordering a new main board for the TV. By the time the board arrived, the TV was basically unusable, constantly rebooting every couple minutes, showing distortion on the screen, and having to unplug the TV because the remote and controls would not respond.

This morning I installed the new main board, and have had no issues since. I was able to play a game for over an hour without any issues, and I've watched TV for a few hours straight... also with no issues. It appears the main board was the culprit all along. If anyone has issues with the TV rebooting, controls not responding, inputs not watching to switch... I definitely recommend replacing the main board. I'm pretty good at fixing electronics, but this was an easy job, no soldering, just a few screws and wiring harnesses.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)