Vizio XVT553SV - No picture; backlight on & sound works

bobkarr72
New User

Jul 9, 2012, 1:46 AM

Post #1 of 13 (27433 views)
Shortcut
Vizio XVT553SV - No picture; backlight on & sound works Can't Post

Hello folks,

I purchased this television in March of 2011; since that time, it's worked flawlessly and never given me a single problem.

About a month ago, apropos of nothing, my wife & I were sitting down in our living room with the television on in the background; she was reading & so was I. I noticed out of my periphery that the screen was dark. The backlight was apparently on and the sound was still running fine. After going through the usual suspects (DVR, HDMI cable, etc.), it was apparent that the problem was with the television itself. As I work away from home (a lot), I told my wife that I'd read up on the issue and see if there was something apparent about the failure that someone else might have experienced.

A few weeks go by and my wife calls to report that my son said the TV was working fine. He'd apparently turned it on (it had been off since the day I discovered there was an issue) and the picture was back. However, during the course of our conversation, she reported that my son said the picture had gone out again. I told her to just turn it off & then unplug it.

Fast-forward to this evening: I'm home for the holiday weekend and I decide to plug the TV in and start it up. It worked like I'd expect it to: there didn't seem to be a problem and the picture quality had no artifacts or other issues that I could see. But, after a few minutres, the screen suddenly went black again and I'm left with the original problem. This all happened just a couple of months after the warranty expired (Yes, I'll get an extended one next time) and I'd really like to try to repair the set myself if possible. I've inquired at a few local TV repair shops near me and the prices they quote are quite high.

Does anyone have even a ballpark guess as to where the problem might be or what I can do to troubleshoot the issue?

P.S. - Just to be sure, at the end of this post I turned the TV back on again. Sure enough (per usual since the problem surfaced), the Vizio "V" logo appears right at startup, then the screen goes black rather quickly; it seems to start from the edges then toward the middle, but it's fast enough that that might just be human viewing error. Sound works and backlight is on.

wadehavens
New User

Jul 11, 2012, 8:49 PM

Post #2 of 13 (27394 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bobkarr72] Vizio XVT553SV - No picture; backlight on & sound works [In reply to] Can't Post

Since you say the backlight is on and working, the problem is probably in one of two places, other than the panel itself. One is in the power supply and the other is in the mainboard. In the power supply you have a few connectors. Those connectors feed power to the mainboard and the inverter board. Those are the connectors you want to check for the proper voltage. Near each pin of each connector on the power supply board there should be voltages silkscreened on the board. With a multimeter you need to check each pin against what is written on the board to make sure the power is correct. If not then then you probably have a few bad caps on the board. Usually you can tell that they are bad by a buldge or some leakage coming from the cap. If there is no noticable problems with the caps, you can either take the chance and replace all of them anyway, or spend about $100 on a new power supply board.
If All the voltages are correct, then the problem lies somewhere in the main board. These board are notorious for having bad voltage regulators on them. There are 4 or 5 voltage regulators on the board. Each regulator should have at least 3.3 volts at the outputs, but no more than 5 volts. If any have less than 3.3 volts then they are probably bad. One could have 2.5 volts, but not likely. I wish I had a schematic to your TV but I can't find one anywhere. The regulators look like this: http://www.siliconray.com/...ltage-regulator.html
On my TV the first regulator nearest to the power connector on the mainboard was bad. It read 2.5 volts but should have been at 3.3 volts. The problem was that the regulator was actually good. It was the 2 resistors nearest the regulators output that were bad. These resistors adjust the output voltage of the regulator. I replaced them and the TV worked fine.
It is a trial and error process, but worth it if you have the time and knowledge you need.
Hope this helped a bit.
Wade

bobkarr72
New User

Jul 11, 2012, 11:38 PM

Post #3 of 13 (27389 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bobkarr72] Vizio XVT553SV - No picture; backlight on & sound works [In reply to] Can't Post

Wade,

Thanks a ton for your attention to my post; believe me: it's a wealth of information that'll at least put me on the path to troubleshooting.

I hope it's a resistor/capacitor/fuze! Talk about avoiding any real expense. I'll definitely give this a try when I get back home from work & report back.

Thanks again!

xvt553sv_owner
New User

Aug 26, 2012, 6:43 PM

Post #4 of 13 (27236 views)
Shortcut

Hello all,

I am having this exact same problem. bobkarr72, have you had any luck fixing your TV? I've been searching online and can't seem to find a replacement main board for the one in my TV, 365501220395(7b). I can find other main boards for the XVT553SV, but none that match the part number on mine exactly. Are they compatible?

Thanks for any help. I'm also happy to post pictures.

Best.

jboeck
New User

Oct 20, 2013, 1:58 AM

Post #5 of 13 (23311 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xvt553sv_owner] Vizio XVT553SV - No picture; backlight on & sound works [In reply to] Can't Post

Check Q3 on the board with all the inputs on it. The transistor is on the upper left. This transistor is a MosFET switch that provides the CPU board with 12V power. If you look really close at the board, you will see the letters G D S silk screened next to Q3. You should read 12V at S, about 10.25V at G, and about 11.8V at D. If you have the 10.25V (or close to it) at G and nothing out on D, your MosFET is toast.

What I did, since SMT parts are not immediately available, is I used a standard MosFET in a TO-220 package, and pigtailed it to the pads, and mounted it with an insulating kit to the screw that holds the top left of the board down. Looks very professional, and easy to accomplish. The MosFET I had on hand was an NTE 44.

Hope this helps someone out there!

t0nito
User

Oct 20, 2013, 1:09 PM

Post #6 of 13 (23288 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jboeck] Vizio XVT553SV - No picture; backlight on & sound works [In reply to] Can't Post

The last post is over a year old...

jboeck
New User

Oct 20, 2013, 7:37 PM

Post #7 of 13 (23273 views)
Shortcut
Re: [t0nito] Vizio XVT553SV - No picture; backlight on & sound works [In reply to] Can't Post

The last post is over a year old...

Your point being? There are hundreds of these TVs out there, and this problem is rather common, even for other brands. I've searched the net high and low for answers, and not one forum was able to provide them. I discovered the solution, so I thought I would share my expertise and experience for anyone who might be having the same problems. Your negative input is not necessary... thanks.

t0nito
User

Oct 20, 2013, 7:58 PM

Post #8 of 13 (23274 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jboeck] Vizio XVT553SV - No picture; backlight on & sound works [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not a negative comment, I was just stating a fact.

jboeck
New User

Oct 20, 2013, 8:20 PM

Post #9 of 13 (23268 views)
Shortcut
Re: [t0nito] Vizio XVT553SV - No picture; backlight on & sound works [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not a negative comment, I was just stating a fact.

Go hijack someone else's post, like you usually do

t0nito
User

Oct 20, 2013, 8:30 PM

Post #10 of 13 (23263 views)
Shortcut

Like I usually do? I'm sorry, I think you've mistaken me for someone else...

topfli8979
New User

Oct 30, 2013, 6:35 AM

Post #11 of 13 (23075 views)
Shortcut

Not trying to jack the thread here, but I am having a similiar issue with same tv. Power on, tv boots, black screen indefinately. Other times I power it on and it will make it to the Vizio logo "V" and freeze there. I have looked all over the main board for shorted components. I did measure a weird reading at the Q3 Mosfet G=0.8mv. D=12.42v. S=11.78v. I know the issue is in the main board.

311junkie
New User

Nov 13, 2013, 6:11 AM

Post #12 of 13 (22806 views)
Shortcut
Re: [topfli8979] Vizio XVT553SV - No picture; backlight on & sound works [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi all. I'm having a similar issue as the above posters. The TV powers up perfectly at the start, but after a few minutes the picture will go out, but the backlight and sound stay on. I've checked the voltage coming off the power board and all the output readings are in range.

Would this likely indicate it's a main board issue or is there anything else you all would recommend looking into?

thetailwind
New User

Nov 24, 2013, 12:06 AM

Post #13 of 13 (22552 views)
Shortcut
Re: [311junkie] Vizio XVT553SV - No picture; backlight on & sound works [In reply to] Can't Post

When the video stops is there artifacting or off colored lines before it dies? Mine is doing this. I have a video in my thread if this helps. <br>

(This post was edited by thetailwind on Nov 24, 2013, 12:07 AM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)