Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Wanting to tune up a blurry Toshiba 51H83 CRT, is it feasible?

Skyrider
New User

Nov 30, 2019, 8:54 PM

Post #1 of 6 (1572 views)
Shortcut
Wanting to tune up a blurry Toshiba 51H83 CRT, is it feasible? Can't Post

Hey guys!

So we've had a Toshiba 51H83 CRT TV sitting in our basement since forever ago. My mother had an idea to give it to some friends of ours to put in their cottage up north, so I wanted to see if it was serviceable - that, and I'm just a sucker for seeing if I can fix things. ;P It works, and the picture is bright, but there is a noticeable blurriness to it, even when hooked up via the DVI input. I hooked up a RetroPie to it to test, and you can see the fuzzy blue halo pictured here: https://i.imgur.com/Jqq0w7k.jpg

It's not terrible, but if I'm going to hand it off to our friends, I'd prefer to see if I can tune the image first. I have already fuddled with the RGB "focus" adjustment screws as well as checked the convergence, both of which are not the source of the problem.

You can find the service manual for the 51H83 here: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/684111/Toshiba-51h83.html?page=9#manual

Now, I don't really know exactly how CRTs work with respect to maintenance/repair, that is to say I don't know what in the component chain is causing this blur or if it's possible/feasible to fix it. I wanted to fish for some advice before I attempt the repair and/or look around for any replacement parts. As a token of reassurance, I am aware of the dangers of poking around inside of a CRT, including the capacitors that will remain charged for days.

jmanx360
New User

Jan 16, 2020, 12:42 AM

Post #2 of 6 (1401 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Skyrider] Wanting to tune up a blurry Toshiba 51H83 CRT, is it feasible? [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you tried adjusting the focus control on the flyback? Not sure what else would cause that aside from convergence or focus issues.

Skyrider
New User

Feb 14, 2020, 9:07 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1321 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jmanx360] Wanting to tune up a blurry Toshiba 51H83 CRT, is it feasible? [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like convergence is the problem. I've run through the service menu convergence adjustment procedure and the TV also has a convergence auto adjustment (in addition to the manual "focus" adjustment screws). When the auto adjustment is being run, it stripes red, green, and blue lines across the screen. Each of these lines in isolation has the blurry element demonstrated in the picture I provided, which I guess suggests that all three cathodes are perhaps old and need to be replaced?

Sadly I'm not sure if I can acquire those parts anymore.

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 17, 2020, 3:55 AM

Post #4 of 6 (1309 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Skyrider] Wanting to tune up a blurry Toshiba 51H83 CRT, is it feasible? [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you checked the cooling fluid?

-------------------------

Skyrider
New User

Mar 6, 2020, 11:47 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Wanting to tune up a blurry Toshiba 51H83 CRT, is it feasible? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hadn't really thought to check that, just sort of wrote that part off as something inherently non-serviceable for a n00b like myself.

jts1957
Veteran

Mar 7, 2020, 7:09 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1276 views)
Shortcut

Peruse through the many, many posts regarding changing fluid, then decide if you're comfortable doing.Smile

-------------------------

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)