Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Zenith/Sharp tube swap

ninja9
New User

Dec 6, 2004, 2:26 PM

Post #1 of 6 (2053 views)
Shortcut
Zenith/Sharp tube swap Can't Post

I was given a late 90's Zenith with a bad picture tube. I have a same era Sharp that has other problems but the picture tube is good. The Zenith tube is part # MVA68AEC00X and the Sharp tube is part # GA68ACT00X.
Anyone know if the Sharp tube can be swapped into the Zenith?

shadetree
Veteran

Dec 6, 2004, 6:44 PM

Post #2 of 6 (2049 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ninja9] Zenith/Sharp tube swap [In reply to] Can't Post

you will have to try it to see

mel
Veteran

Dec 6, 2004, 11:14 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2044 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shadetree] Zenith/Sharp tube swap [In reply to] Can't Post

Moulded into the glass on the side of the tube you will see a number like V-100 or V-110. If these numbers are not the same, it will not work because the yokes are not compatable on the two tubes. The other difference will be the position of the mounting tabs on the corners of the tube. Otherwise, electronically it should work fine. Before you start this project, however, you should realize that changing the tube is not just a matter of taking one out and putting a new one in. By changing the yoke, you may have to readjust the purity and convergence and this is not a simple task unless you are experienced at it. Good Luck

shadetree
Veteran

Dec 7, 2004, 12:54 AM

Post #4 of 6 (2040 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shadetree] Zenith/Sharp tube swap [In reply to] Can't Post

measure the distance between the the front mounting tabs and the front of tube if both are the same distance likely will work

ninja9
New User

Dec 8, 2004, 1:33 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2031 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Zenith/Sharp tube swap [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Moulded into the glass on the side of the tube you will see a number like V-100 or V-110. If these numbers are not the same, it will not work because the yokes are not compatable on the two tubes. The other difference will be the position of the mounting tabs on the corners of the tube. Otherwise, electronically it should work fine. Before you start this project, however, you should realize that changing the tube is not just a matter of taking one out and putting a new one in. By changing the yoke, you may have to readjust the purity and convergence and this is not a simple task unless you are experienced at it. Good Luck

Thanks for the info. The Zenith tube is marked V110 and the other is V100 so it looks like a no go. But since you said that electronically it should work, do you think that if I left the yoke on the good tube and swapped both it and the tube it would work?

In Reply To

mel
Veteran

Dec 9, 2004, 12:47 AM

Post #6 of 6 (2019 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ninja9] Zenith/Sharp tube swap [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt it. Yokes are designed for specific sets and especially by different manufacturers. For example I checked the specs for a yoke for a 27" Zenith and a 27" Sharp and there is a significant difference in the resistance in both the vertical and horizontal windings. Not only might it not work, but it could cause damage to the vertical and horizontal output circuits.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)