Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Zenith Blue/Green screen

cardtopper
New User

May 11, 2005, 1:50 PM

Post #1 of 17 (4184 views)
Shortcut
Zenith Blue/Green screen Can't Post

I have an OLD Zenith 21" Sentry2. It still works fine except one problem. The screen is a blueish/greenish tint. I understand that it is an old TV and I should probably get rid of it. However, I just need a spare TV to keep in my workout room. If I can fix it relatively cheap then that is the best solution. Any ideas?

shadetree
Veteran

May 11, 2005, 3:29 PM

Post #2 of 17 (4179 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cardtopper] Zenith Blue/Green screen [In reply to] Can't Post

it has the same trouble all old zenith's have ,a bad picture tube not worth repairing

cardtopper
New User

May 11, 2005, 4:46 PM

Post #3 of 17 (4176 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shadetree] Zenith Blue/Green screen [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the reply. That is what I thought would be the case (not worth the cost). I don't know jack about TVs and just needed some advice. I thought maybe there were some type of bulbs inside and maybe one was corrupt or something.

Hect7369
User

May 12, 2005, 4:52 PM

Post #4 of 17 (4162 views)
Shortcut

In most Zenith TV's,Resistors in color bias are opened,also a preamplifier transistor,obviously red beam isn't working.And last, using a CRT restorer may fix the problem.

Hect.

cardtopper
New User

May 12, 2005, 6:46 PM

Post #5 of 17 (4158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hect7369] Zenith Blue/Green screen [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, you are talking to someone who doesn't know jack about the workings of a TV. However, I am very handy and good at fixing things.

Is what you just said something I can do and do it cheap?

Hect7369
User

May 13, 2005, 3:48 AM

Post #6 of 17 (4149 views)
Shortcut

SmileHow old is TV? Model#?.Most of old zenith TV's,Picture Tube are in good condition.reply your respond and we attempt to repair it.

Hect.

cardtopper
New User

May 13, 2005, 1:24 PM

Post #7 of 17 (4146 views)
Shortcut

It is about 15 years old. I am at work and am not sure if I got the correct number off of it. It is a Zenith Sentry 2. THere were a couple of numbers on the back one I wrote down is ss1917b. I will check again when I get home and let you know the other numbers.

mel
Veteran

May 13, 2005, 10:17 PM

Post #8 of 17 (4140 views)
Shortcut

If your model number is correct, this set is a 93/94 vintage which was in the era of BAAAAAD Zenith picture tubes. It also indicates that this is a 19" set and not really worth spending money on considering the replacement cost of a brand new set.

shadetree
Veteran

May 13, 2005, 10:22 PM

Post #9 of 17 (4139 views)
Shortcut

don,t know how many zenith tv's you have checked but I worked on only zenith's for years and over 99% of them from 92-98 had bad crt's almost put zenith out of business

mel
Veteran

May 13, 2005, 10:31 PM

Post #10 of 17 (4137 views)
Shortcut

Ditto! I would guess that over half the sets that I see are Zeniths and the majority are bad CRTs. I would never buy a Zenith and would not recommend them to anyone else.

Hect7369
User

May 14, 2005, 3:26 AM

Post #11 of 17 (4131 views)
Shortcut

If we are talking about lately Zenith's TVs,we are right,but don't you know about Zenith color problems???I have serviced a lot of Zenith color troubles,and I'd tell you,that I repair 80% of These Zenith TV's ,without Replacing CRT.

Cardtopper,,if you get a little knowledge about repairing TV's,I am sure you won't spend more than $30. to get your TV repaired!!

There are Old Zenith TV's,still working around.

cardtopper
New User

May 14, 2005, 4:52 AM

Post #12 of 17 (4127 views)
Shortcut

I checked the model #. I was right. It is ss1917b. I understand that a new TV this size wouldn't cost a lot. However, if I can spend around $30 then I want to do it. Plus, it was my Grandmothers' TV. It would be nice to fix it and use it in my weight room.

Where can I find directions and parts?

Hect7369
User

May 14, 2005, 7:15 AM

Post #13 of 17 (4123 views)
Shortcut

SmileIn which state are you?You need to get the service manual in the Public library in your area,ask for the Sam Technical Publishing,here they are the info,you need Sam#3173 ,Volume#301(Zenith TV model#SS1917B).Make all copies(all Libraries have copy machine).

Now,start checking all resistors in Color output transistor bias(in CRT socket),They measure from 27K to 100k ohms,look for intermittent contacts in all color circuitry(CRT AND MAIN BOARD).

Check all three preamplifier transistors(if any) in Main board(close to TV-4 chip/Jungle IC),for shorted o leaky condition.

Check all three OUTPUT transistor(in CRT socket)for shorted or leaky condition.

If you are watching a picture(Geen/Blue) With a strong picture or bright,sure the CRT is good.

Good Luck,,

Hect.

Bursma
User

May 16, 2005, 2:00 PM

Post #14 of 17 (4105 views)
Shortcut

If for some reason your library doesn't have the SAM 3173 (which I think is unlikely because it looks common enough), I could sell one to you for $17.95.

800-676-8926

mcb01
New User

Jun 4, 2005, 2:56 PM

Post #15 of 17 (3988 views)
Shortcut

Hi all,
I have a similar problem with my TV, a Zenith Sentry 2 but it's model SL2067BT. Anything that's supposed to be gray or black has a green tint to it. Would it still cost the same as the other model mentioned here to have it fixed? Does anyone have the Sam and Volume # for this model?
Thanks

mel
Veteran

Jun 4, 2005, 9:42 PM

Post #16 of 17 (3977 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mcb01] Zenith Blue/Green screen [In reply to] Can't Post

The SAMs for that model is Photofact #3248. If your local library doesn't carry SAMS, you can go to www.samswebsite.com and download it for $20. Before you spend any money, however, try this. There are three pots on the CRT board labeled red, blue and green screen. Turn the color off and either turn the green screen down or the red and blue up until you have a good black and white picture. Turn the color back on and you should be in business.

mcb01
New User

Jun 5, 2005, 1:21 PM

Post #17 of 17 (3958 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Zenith Blue/Green screen [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, though I'm not sure I'd be comfortable messing with the inside of the TV..maybe I can take it to a repair place and tell them to try this.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.22 s on (CGI/1.1)