Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Zenith RPTV DVI issues

bogdan22
New User

Sep 17, 2004, 3:49 AM

Post #1 of 2 (1510 views)
Shortcut
Zenith RPTV DVI issues Can't Post

I have a Zenith CRT RPTV (not very common I know) which I just bought last month and I am trying to connect it via DVI to an HD cablebox. I'm failing miserably.

My equipment info is as follows:
TV: Zenith R57W46
Cable Box: Scientific Atlanta 4200HD
Cable: Monster DVI400

The initial symptoms were horrible picture distortion as well severe misconvergence - almost every element on screen appeared as separate red green and blue halos. This usually happened right after I turned the TV on, but it only manifested itself about every third power on. It also seems to happen when the TV is turned on after being off for an extented period of time. Both problems can be solved every time by switching away from the DVI input and switching back again.

Thinking there was something wrong with the TV itself, I made the mistake of sending it out to a Zenith authorized repair center to get it fixed. They kept the TV for almost a month and a half, and when I got it back not only did I find the distortion/misconvergence problem is still present, but now my cable box refuses to even display a picture via DVI. Instead, the cable box throws up a message stating that my set doesn't support DHCP, which is not true. The repair center claims the tech swapped out the DVI interface board and the digital board, whatever that means.

These issues seem to be isolated to DVI only, since component input for the TV seems to work just fine. It's simply not affected by any of these problems. I tried contacting the respective manufaturers of the TV, cable box and DVI cables to as about incompatibilities, but as usual, the equipment manufacturers are clueless about their own products.

I am very reluctant to send in the TV for repair again, but it seems I may have no choice. I have also tried swapping out the Monster cable for another identical cable and for another brand as well (RCA). No luck. I also thought about swapping out the cable box, but the distortion still occurs even when the cable box is unplugged. I can tell because the TV's onscreen menus are distorted.

Sorry for the long post. After searching a bit these forums, I've read about other people's difficulties with DVI so perhaps someone here has had similar expriences and can offer some insight into a resulution. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

bogdan22
New User

Sep 17, 2004, 1:08 PM

Post #2 of 2 (1500 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bogdan22] Zenith RPTV DVI issues [In reply to] Can't Post

Upon further testing, its seems the distortion/halos happen on the component input as well, so I am led to belive it's a more basic problem than just DVI.

The error message the cablebox gives about HDCP obviously doesn't apply to component mode since it's not digital.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)