Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
c'mon guys help out MR702 TELEFUNKEN TV

PONDA
New User

Apr 20, 2006, 1:38 PM

Post #1 of 11 (8346 views)
Shortcut
c'mon guys help out MR702 TELEFUNKEN TV Can't Post

Engineers common i am sure sombody out there has seen my post dated 18/04/06.For the MR702 Telefunken TV that goes on standyby mode when i swithch it on.Kindly assist i am going to miss the June soccer world cup if i can't sort out this problem.Frown

Help me out please.Ponda

blkwolfpac
User

Apr 20, 2006, 3:16 PM

Post #2 of 11 (8338 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PONDA] c'mon guys help out MR702 TELEFUNKEN TV [In reply to] Can't Post

how did this stnby problem come about ?

techchris
Veteran

Apr 20, 2006, 4:49 PM

Post #3 of 11 (8336 views)
Shortcut

check for short circuit across horizontal o/p transistor. it may be faulty along with the flyback transformer. as for spares i thought this make went out of business years ago.can you hear it try to start?

PONDA
New User

Apr 22, 2006, 9:36 AM

Post #4 of 11 (8326 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blkwolfpac] c'mon guys help out MR702 TELEFUNKEN TV [In reply to] Can't Post

I am told the tV was playing and then it started flickering green(on) and then off red(standby) then finally remained in that state.

thanx ponda.

PONDA
New User

Apr 22, 2006, 9:40 AM

Post #5 of 11 (8325 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] c'mon guys help out MR702 TELEFUNKEN TV [In reply to] Can't Post

thanx techchris,i will hand over this information to the tv technician it will give him a hand.I really didn't know that such a make was out of circulation.But do you know where i can get a manual and a remote.I hope there will be no need for spares after all.

thax ponda

blkwolfpac
User

Apr 22, 2006, 3:48 PM

Post #6 of 11 (8321 views)
Shortcut

you might be able to find what you need from this site

http://www.telefunken.com/

lrrebgb
New User

Dec 19, 2009, 7:42 PM

Post #7 of 11 (8011 views)
Shortcut

Hello
Some time has passed and you've probably moved on and forgotten about your Telefunken MR702 TV.
I just wondered if you ever found a User or Service manual for the TV.
I have a related problem in that I have somehow set the maximum volume on the TV to about a quarter of what it should be. I try to raise the volume, but the on screen bar will only go up about halfway to the centre.
I guess, I managed to access the service menu, by mistake, but can't find my way back to it again to reset the TV.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks, Len

tscheucher
User

Dec 20, 2009, 11:29 PM

Post #8 of 11 (7999 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lrrebgb] c'mon guys help out MR702 TELEFUNKEN TV [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Len!
As far as I remember, there were two ways known for accessing service mode with telefunken devices - It is (was) a german brand. The volume fault results due to a wrong adjustment in service mode. "HOTEL MODE" or a comparable setting is switched on.
The way to access the service menu is different, depending on the tvīs software (chassis type).
You can try (first possible way):

Switch off the TV with mains switch.
Press PR- and VOL- on the tv' s frontpanel and hold them
Switch the device on again (don't release the two buttons)
Now the service menue appears (Adjustments can be taken by using VOL- and VOL+ keys on remote)
Switch "HOTEL MODE" to off and don't forget to save your settings. (also a keyword in service menu)

You can also try (second possible way - commonly used with newer devices ):
Switch device to standby (with remote)
After that switch it off with mains switch
Press the videotext key and hold it
Switch it on again (still holding the remote's key) until picture comes on
Press videotext key again --> Service menu appears
If your tv is set up with a green operating state led, forget the last step of method 2 (Service mode appears right after startup)
Make changes as described in method 1
Hope this will help!
Thomas

(This post was edited by tscheucher on Dec 20, 2009, 11:30 PM)

lrrebgb
New User

Dec 21, 2009, 2:21 PM

Post #9 of 11 (7992 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tscheucher] c'mon guys help out MR702 TELEFUNKEN TV [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Thomas
Many thanks for your reply. It helped a bit.
I've got a little bit further in trying to switch from "Hotel" Mode, I think.
I tried both methods you mentioned of getting into the Service Menu.
The second one worked, to some extent, that is I used the VT button(blue Videotext), while switching the set back on at the mains.
When I pressed it again up came a menu.
However, there is nothing on the menu about "Hotel" or any other mode.
The menu is on a strange light purple background.
The options across the top of the screen are SET-UP, VIDEO and GEOM
(Under the top menu, there is written: TX92NM21 TFK--- M)
Under SET-UP, there are the following options down the left-hand side:
BRAND 1 2 3 NONE (it won't let me switch to NONE. I didn't notice any difference in the others)
TUNER A C (At the moment it's on C, but either one doesn't seem different.
NORM I B BD BL BIL (Produces a hiss on the sound if I change it. Currently on BIL)
SUB-VOL -2/2 2 (It was on 0. I set it to 2, but didn't appear to change the volume)
Any suggestions, where I might go from here ?
Again, thanks for your help.
Len

tscheucher
User

Dec 21, 2009, 7:06 PM

Post #10 of 11 (7982 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lrrebgb] c'mon guys help out MR702 TELEFUNKEN TV [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Len!
That's bad because you own one of those devices where software sometimes fails. The "Hotel Mode" is an adjustment, some of the brands have to limit the volume to the half of it's amount for example using the tv in hotel rooms or as a protective adjustment that kids cannot play with the tv like they want to. There had been lots of repairs due to the fact, that young kids turned up the volume bar to it's maximum setting and they left the device in that condition for hours (maybe parents weren't home) and the audio ic was constantly overdriven and failed after some time (very expensive repair sometimes).
So to your Setup - menu:
Brand 1,2,3 means that the mainboard of your tv is obviously used in some other models of Telefunken, depending on picture tube size, adjustment possibilities, features, 100 /50 Hz a.s.o...
I wouldn't mess around with that - It could cause the flyback transformer or even horizontal drive to die due to the fact that the software tells the horizontal drive to operate at higher voltages in the case that Brand 3 has a 70cm (29'') picture tube instead of your's possibly 28'' (that's just an example)
Tuner a/c represents the setting cable tuner or analog tuner. The difference between those two settings is just the ability that you are able to scan for "Special channels" marked with S (ex.: S32) - These channels are only used in cable tv systems and not for analog transmission - There are only CH 2 - 4 and CH5-12 and CH21 - 69 (84) in use.
NORM I B BD BL BIL is the setting for the country specifics (PAL / SECAM - format and defined audio if specifications)
The entry subvolume is used to store customized volume settings. In cable tv systems it can occur, that some channels are broadcasted louder ore more silent than the others. It's just a setting to align that. You can safe a different VOL setting for each channel.
I would suggest, that your tv's software needs to be reset or reprogrammed (clearing of temporary memory) - I'll try to find out how to do that and will let you know. If that doesn't help, a new memory ic is required. If it's located on the main board as a 8 pin DIL ic, it's easy to replace. If your tv has got a digiboard (100Hz audio video PCB) that ic is located on it and commonly an smd-type, which requires special equipment to be replaced. (Ask a local repair shop for help)
Hope it's not too expensive!
Thomas

lrrebgb
New User

Dec 21, 2009, 10:19 PM

Post #11 of 11 (7975 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tscheucher] c'mon guys help out MR702 TELEFUNKEN TV [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Thomas
Many thanks for taking the trouble to provide all the information on those settings etc..

Thanks to your help, I have finally had a breakthrough.

I noticed if I held on to the power button on the remote control when switching to standby, that the red power light would flash, instead of remaining steady.

Since your advice on holding the VT button when switching back on from the TV power button, I decided to try the same trick with the power button on the remote.

Voila, it worked and yet another menu came up.

There were 3 options on this one:

Main Menu (a key symbol) and the -/+
Timer Menu (key symbol) -/+
(speaker symbol) max __________________________

I set the line on the bottom to the highest point and now I can get the full range of volume on the TV.
So, just to clarify, in order to reach the volume limitation setting:

1. Switch off using the remote control.
2. Switch off at the TV power switch.
3. Hold down the power button on the remote while turning on the TV at the main power switch.
4. Hold for about 5 seconds, until the TV comes to life.
5. There is the new menu on the screen with the options above.
While messing about with this, I noticed another strange phenomenon. If you press the menu button, during normal operation, the "Preferences" menu appears and you can set various screen options.
On the opening screen, there is only a + sign on each option.
If you choose "PREF." and then switch off from the remote and keep holding the power off button, the power light on the TV flashes instead of remaining steady.
If you now go back in to the TV (press any channel button) and bring up the opening menu, it now has a -/+ symbol beside each option, but the - symbol doesn't appear to do anything.
I think the people at Telefunken must have enjoyed their work and woven all sorts of mysterious alleys into the system.
I looked at some of their history and apparently Nikola Tesla was involved with them at some point.
Anyway, thanks again for your interest and help.
Best wishes.
Len

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.21 s on (CGI/1.1)