Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
picture pinches in & rolls vertically w/satellite connection

ucdchrisco
New User

Jan 31, 2005, 1:44 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1000 views)
Shortcut
picture pinches in & rolls vertically w/satellite connection Can't Post

When I hook up my Samsung Dynaflat TXN32HF tv to my satellite receiver (same receiver that worked fine for other tvs), you can hear and see all satellite channels, but the picture is squeezed in as if pinched on the sides (black half-circles w/3 inch radius) and these pinch marks roll vertically (the picture itself does not roll). This occurs with coax or A/V cables. When connecting a satellite box to the tv via component cables, there are no picture problems, but as soon as the audio cables are plugged in, the problem reoccurs.

A vcr works fine via coax or A/V cables, but if you try to run satellite through the vcr, the same problem occurs.

Thinking the problem may have been the TV tuner, I tried the tv with a local channel antenna, which caused almost unnoticeable rolling distortion (you really have to look for it)

Also, whether relevant or not, the tv caused the circuit breaker to break once or twice, and when (dis)connecting coax from the satellite to the tv a substantial shock can be felt (reflex causes you to let go quick, and hurts for a sec or two).

Thank you for any help!
-Chris C.

mel
Veteran

Jan 31, 2005, 11:34 PM

Post #2 of 4 (988 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ucdchrisco] picture pinches in & rolls vertically w/satellite connection [In reply to] Can't Post

Check my reply on that OTHER forum where you posted this message. I think that you really need to get the satellite people to check out their box for grounding problems.

ucdchrisco
New User

Feb 2, 2005, 11:44 PM

Post #3 of 4 (978 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] picture pinches in & rolls vertically w/satellite connection [In reply to] Can't Post

could this be a possible problem even if the satellite works on a different tv?

mel
Veteran

Feb 3, 2005, 12:39 AM

Post #4 of 4 (974 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ucdchrisco] picture pinches in & rolls vertically w/satellite connection [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably not. It appears more likley that the grounding problem is in your TV. The fact that you get a shock while disconnecting the two components and that it has popped a circuit breaker would indicate that the two components chassis grounds are at different levels. If your TV chassis is floating at a positive level above earth ground, it constitutes a shock hazzard as you have already experienced. This is a serious condition which should be looked at by a professional before someone is seriously hurt.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)