pn50a550s1f Samsung Plasma Clicking

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

gajohnboy
New User

Jul 3, 2011, 11:05 PM

Post #1 of 33 (22616 views)
Shortcut
pn50a550s1f Samsung Plasma Clicking Can't Post

I have a 50 inch plasma Samsung tv. Model number:pn50a550s1f. When I plug the TV into a wall jack it automatically starts trying to turn on. A series of clicks occur but the TV can not start up. Sometimes the screen fills with bright colorful lines. After reading a good bit about similar problems, I took off the back panel and inspected the power board for bulged capacitors. There weren't any. So one by one I unplugged the boards from the power supply and powered on. Every time it did the same exact thing. So I figured it was the power board itself. I took out the power board and ordered a new one off of ebay. Installed the one off of ebay and still have the same problem. Is it possiblew I just got a bad one again from ebay? Any help is appreciated. I'm returning the power board asap since it doesnt help. Any suggestions would be appreciated

gajohnboy
New User

Jul 5, 2011, 12:45 PM

Post #2 of 33 (22584 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gajohnboy] pn50a550s1f Samsung Plasma Clicking [In reply to] Can't Post

Well I suppose I will try getting another power supply board and hope that I just received a dysfunctional one from Ebay. I'll update yall on how that goes. Still open for speculation and suggestions.

gajohnboy
New User

Jul 11, 2011, 8:59 PM

Post #3 of 33 (22567 views)
Shortcut

So I just got the new power supply in and the same exact thing is happening. Could really use some input! Thanks

Also to add, before I took the original power supply out, the tv went to the colorful lines except this time it had a really loud noise with it.

(This post was edited by gajohnboy on Jul 11, 2011, 9:01 PM)

gajohnboy
New User

Jul 11, 2011, 10:15 PM

Post #4 of 33 (22562 views)
Shortcut

Also while hooked to power, while trying to start up there are 2 blinking green lights on the main board. I dont know if they are supposed to blink or not.

74f100
Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2011, 4:21 AM

Post #5 of 33 (22549 views)
Shortcut

You had colorful lines? Left to right or up and down?

To test a power supply, you need to know if stby voltage is up. If so, are you getting PS on and VS on. If so, are the rest of the output coming up.

Without knowing any of this, I really can't be much help. Believe it or not, us techs actually do earn our living. Wink

Good luck,
Jim
HDMI not working

gajohnboy
New User

Aug 23, 2011, 8:15 PM

Post #6 of 33 (22448 views)
Shortcut
Re: [74f100] pn50a550s1f Samsung Plasma Clicking [In reply to] Can't Post

UPDATE:

Alright, I got fed up enough with the thing and took it to a shop. The shop is licensed for Samsung warrantys and repairs.

So, I took my tv in and it took them a few days to get back to me. They told me it just needed a software update for which they charged me $135 total. I wasn't too pleased with this because i KNEW that it would mess up again.

So... it messes up a few days after getting it home. I take it back to them because their labor was warranted for 30 days. They just called me back now a week and a half later to tell me that they need to replace the main logic board. They said since the software update didn't hold it must be the problem.

They said it would cost me $225 to fix. That's not including labor. Well I was looking on ebay and I see several for sell like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-PN50A550SF1-LJ41-05516A-LOGIC-MAIN-BOARD-/160528788620

My question is now this... how hard would it be to replace myself and save over 200 bucks? Is it basically a swap and go?

74f100
Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2011, 10:10 PM

Post #7 of 33 (22442 views)
Shortcut

A logic isn't hard to replace. Nothing to really program afterwards, but make sure you get it from a trusted source.

Jim
HDMI not working

Ron.M
Veteran

Aug 24, 2011, 7:15 PM

Post #8 of 33 (22428 views)
Shortcut

74f100 & gajohnboy;....

74f100;.....

but make sure you get it from a trusted source.

This eBay item seller has an excellent rating....
However , I'm a bit skeptical that there's NO warranty....
Just an exchange privledge.....(For ONLY 7 days)...

gajohnboy;...
I'd suggest you PM the seller thru eBay & ask him for a longer warranty...
7 days to me is not long enough...
But , as always , it's your call.....Smile....

I'm also having a problem with them calling it a "New" board , yet they state that it was pulled from a working set (????)...
Tested or not , to me that's a "used" board....

GOOD LUCK.....Sly......

Later...Ron.M....Cool....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

gajohnboy
New User

Aug 26, 2011, 11:25 PM

Post #9 of 33 (22408 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] pn50a550s1f Samsung Plasma Clicking [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the replys fellas. I ordered that one from ebay and hopefully my TV will work after I install it. The seller told me it was from a brand new tv that got messed up in shipping and he told me he would give me a 30 day warranty on it. So here goes nothing. I'll let yall know how it goes.

Ron.M
Veteran

Aug 27, 2011, 4:17 PM

Post #10 of 33 (22401 views)
Shortcut

gajohnboy;....

I'd suggest you PM the seller thru eBay & ask him for a longer warranty...

That paid off well !!!!!
You got a 30 day warranty + a better explanation of the "new" classification...
Keep the message you got from the seller just in case....

Good Luck.....Sly....

Later...Ron.M.....Cool....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

gajohnboy
New User

Sep 2, 2011, 1:20 PM

Post #11 of 33 (22369 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] pn50a550s1f Samsung Plasma Clicking [In reply to] Can't Post

Alright, this is turning into a headache. So, I replaced the logic board and the same exact thing happens. I think the strangest thing about the problem is that is starts trying to turn on right when I plug it into the wall without pressing the power button or anything. I have changed both the PSU and logic board.

I can't find the service manual for the TV either, would probably make things much easier. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Can take pictures if I need to.

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 2, 2011, 5:11 PM

Post #12 of 33 (22366 views)
Shortcut

Easier? SM:

http://elektrotanya.com/...sm.pdf/download.html

Yeah. But can you figure out how to post them here?
Wink

-------------------------

a002074t
New User

Sep 2, 2011, 7:42 PM

Post #13 of 33 (22362 views)
Shortcut

Have you measured any of the voltages (labeled on the panel itself as to what they should be)? Vscan, Vs, Ve, Va. Samsungs are notorious for Y-main and Y-buffer board failures as their idea of cooling is planting aluminum heatsinks everywhere. I have yet to see a Sammy plasma with a fan.
Anyway if one or more of your voltages are off, check the appropriate board for a fried resistor, failing CAP or overheating IC.

sweetguy67
New User

Sep 3, 2011, 2:45 PM

Post #14 of 33 (22357 views)
Shortcut

there is what is called a ysus board that usually has shorted ics on it,.check it out, carl

gajohnboy
New User

Sep 5, 2011, 6:48 PM

Post #15 of 33 (22320 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweetguy67] pn50a550s1f Samsung Plasma Clicking [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't checked any of the voltages as I dont have a voltage reader. Perhaps my roommates have one. Just kind of tired of this tv repair shop making me run circles.

This model tv is worth $600 working and ive put roughly $340 into it. Starting to wonder if its worth putting more money into or parting it out.

Thanks for the service manual, I will definitely look it over. And i'll try to get a voltage meter and get back to yall. Thanks for the help so far

gajohnboy
New User

Sep 5, 2011, 11:40 PM

Post #16 of 33 (22305 views)
Shortcut

Alright, I am waiting on a voltage meter from a roommate, should get it sometime this week. I have been following troubleshooting techniques from the service manual.

It told me to plug in each component to the SMPS one at a time to see if the problem continues. With no boards plugged into the SMPS there is no relay clicking. Then one by one i tried each board. I noticed it happens when i plug the main board, the board with all the inputs, to the SMPS.

Is this a strong indicator that i have a defective main board?

I suppose that will be my next attempt at solving this if the voltages read correctly.

(This post was edited by gajohnboy on Sep 5, 2011, 11:52 PM)

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 6, 2011, 12:23 AM

Post #17 of 33 (22301 views)
Shortcut

That's how you learn.

If the SM says to measure certain voltage(s) to prove, wait for the DVM and measure before jumping the gun.

-------------------------

gajohnboy
New User

Sep 17, 2011, 12:30 AM

Post #18 of 33 (22199 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] pn50a550s1f Samsung Plasma Clicking [In reply to] Can't Post

So I got my meter in and i decided to wait on a friend that knew a little more about electronics than I to test it. We checked both the VA and VS voltages and they both matched what is printed on the sticker on the inside of the tv.

So my next step according to the service manual is to replace the main board. I wish I had read the service manual earlier because replacing the main board is well before it suggests replacing the logic board like I already did.

P.S. That tv repair shop sucks big time.

74f100
Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2011, 1:02 AM

Post #19 of 33 (22195 views)
Shortcut

No they would have been in the same boat. Bought the logic, and wouldn't have fixed it.

One thing to understand about "repair shops". Some are in business selling estimates, some are in business to repair things. And with the internet, everyone thinks they are a tech. Well, there is a lot more to fixing things than putting boards in a TV.

Look in the service manual, there is a procedure for running internal test patterns. If you follow that procedure, it will confirm or rule out the main.

Jim
HDMI not working

gajohnboy
New User

Sep 17, 2011, 5:02 PM

Post #20 of 33 (22188 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
No they would have been in the same boat. Bought the logic, and wouldn't have fixed it.

One thing to understand about "repair shops". Some are in business selling estimates, some are in business to repair things. And with the internet, everyone thinks they are a tech. Well, there is a lot more to fixing things than putting boards in a TV.

Look in the service manual, there is a procedure for running internal test patterns. If you follow that procedure, it will confirm or rule out the main.

Jim

The shop has been lackluster from the beginning. I did some research and they handle all of the manufacturer repairs for Samsung in my area so I figured that they would be the best to go to. I went into the shop and the customer service was terrible. I always greet them and ask them how their day is going before they even aknowledge me.

I told them several times that the tv was clicking on and off but sometimes it wants to work for a bit. The first time they returned the tv to me "fixed" i knew it would only be a matter of hours til it broke again because I had a sense they weren't listening to me at all.

They didn't keep me informed on anything, I had to call them everytime because it would take too long and everytime they said "Oh yeah, that was fixed the other day". They never once called me. I seriously doubt they even opened the tv up. All they did was try to give me a software upgrade for $150.

Anyways, all of this to say that I'm not saying the shop sucks because it was an honest mistake on their part; the shop sucks because they have been giving me half-assed answers and terrible communication. I am not ignorant to the fact that several people here have great knowledge about tvs that can't be taught in a Google search and that is why I am trying to find answers on this forum instead of that tv shop.

So far I have received excellent help and I appreciate it very much.

I will keep yall updated.
Thanks

(This post was edited by gajohnboy on Sep 17, 2011, 5:03 PM)

74f100
Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2011, 5:53 PM

Post #21 of 33 (22185 views)
Shortcut

Yeah, that sounds like one of the places that I would avoid. But Samsung will go with who ever will work for the lowest price.

If a company can't provide service with their "service" then they probably don't spend much time perfecting the art.

Jim
HDMI not working

gajohnboy
New User

Sep 30, 2011, 8:34 PM

Post #22 of 33 (22021 views)
Shortcut

UPDATE: I received my main unit (after about 2 weeks of trying to return that logic board) and fired it up... work perfectly! :) Thanks for yalls help. Will keep that service manual around that's for sure!

74f100
Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2011, 10:37 PM

Post #23 of 33 (22017 views)
Shortcut

Good deal,, and good job!!

Jim
HDMI not working

steveo82
New User

Jan 21, 2012, 11:37 PM

Post #24 of 33 (21397 views)
Shortcut

Please help. I have same model tv with same symptoms. I couldn't get the service manual from the old link previously posted. Im hoping gajohnboy can help me thru finding the faulty board. If someone else knows where I can get the service manual that would be awesome. Don't have a lot of money to put into repairs.

steveo82
New User

Jan 21, 2012, 11:43 PM

Post #25 of 33 (21395 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] pn50a550s1f Samsung Plasma Clicking [In reply to] Can't Post

Trying to get this service manual with no luck. I have the exact same issues as gajohnboy but if I only need a new main board I don't want to buy 3 difernt boards. Do you know any other places I can find this service manual? Your expertise would be greatly appreciated.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.25 s on (CGI/1.1)