smooman
New User

Mar 15, 2018, 3:55 PM

Post #1 of 1 (804 views)
Shortcut
samsung ln46a850s1fxza Red light but no start up issue Can't Post

Good morning everyone!

So my problem is basically this:
A few days ago My tv would not turn on and the red light was intermittently turning off. I did my due diligence and looked up some videos/websites on the issue and did what i could to solve the problem, but I'm a bit stumped.

What i tried:
After watching some videos I thought it might be a simple capacitor issue on the power supply board. I took the back off of the tv (and it's 20 + screws, yeesh) and visually inspected everything on the power supply board after shorting all the caps (no electric induced heart attacks please).

Of course nothing can be simple in my life; none of the caps were swollen even in the slightest, no diodes looked cracked, and there were no tell tale burn marks on the board or any component. So i thought perhaps that there might be some clue hiding on the printed side of the circuit board. I undid all of the ribbon cables and the ac power cable, and unscrewed the 6 screws to free the board ( a BN44-00242A, if you want a visual aid). Still nothing.

So with great remorse and the thought of 'I'll just replace the 1000uf caps and hope that works, I reassembled the TV and did a power on test for the hell of it... Lo and Behold it WORKED! Hallelujah right? So i left the tv plugged in and went to sleep. (it was 10 pm at t his point)

The next evening I tried to turn on the TV (had a solid red light mind you) and... nothing. The red light turned off as if it were about to start, but the relays never clicked and the cooling fans never turned on. I was flabbergasted. So I thought 'ok maybe something I did last night made it work temporarily, let me check.' SO I undid the screws (ALL 20 -_-), shorted the caps, and tried powering on... no go. Undid the cable to the mainboard and reconnected after shorting the caps.. no go. Undid only the cables attached to the top of the board (to the backlighting) ....no go.

Finally in frustration i undid everything, and just to do EVERYTHING I did the previous night, I removed the board, rescrewed it in, and connected all the ribbon cables back up...

And what do you know if the darn thing didn't turn on and work fine.

I'm absolutely stumped as to what the problem might be.... maybe some kind of ground fault somewhere? It's the only reason I can think as for why unscrewing the board from the chassis (all screws are ground screws) might work.... but i have no clue.

Can any of you fine gentlemen shed some light on this issue? I'd hate to just buy a new power supply board without knowing for sure!

Thanks in advance! Wink

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)