unit unrepairable - what ?

jonnytub
New User

May 17, 2005, 4:16 PM

Post #1 of 5 (1370 views)
Shortcut
unit unrepairable - what ? Can't Post

Hi all,

I'm new here and found this site which i'm hoping can help me in some way. I recently aquired a mitac 42" plasma tv (hp-4220 chassis) which went pop and wouldn't switch on, i checked all the usual things such as blown fuses, etc, nothing. I put the unit in for repair at a reputable service agent who, after a few days, phoned to tell me the unit was unrepairable, the engineer faxed me a report which states " psu fuse burnt out, DW fault then unit went dead (tripping) R711 on main pcb burnt, checked for dry joints on c620; dry, cheked w602 and R618 )5k6), evidence of burn on micro-p." Now to me that sounds all very technical and perfectly normal, until the engineer said that they could dispose of the unit for me, saving me a 30 mile round trip. I just wanna know if my legs being pulled, I'm picking the tv up regardless.

kuhurdler
User

May 17, 2005, 4:42 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1364 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jonnytub] unit unrepairable - what ? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd be awfully suspicious too. take it somewhere else.

jonnytub
New User

May 17, 2005, 4:46 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1361 views)
Shortcut

I'm gonna take it to sound and vision, I know they won't rip me off (fingers crossed) , does all that techno babbel make any sense?

mel
Veteran

May 17, 2005, 10:02 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1354 views)
Shortcut

Most of it makes sense but those that I understand would not make the set unrepairable. Actually, any electronic device is repairable, it is just the matter of cost of repair. If they had said that the plasma display was bad (a common occurance), then for all intents and purposes it would be unrepairable because the cost of repair would outweigh the cost to replace the set.

jonnytub
New User

May 18, 2005, 6:26 AM

Post #5 of 5 (1348 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] unit unrepairable - what ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks mels, it's confirmed it for me, i'm gonna get a second opinion. If it's gone, it's gone, i'll claim on my insurance.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.21 s on (CGI/1.1)