Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
water damage

whataguy
New User

Feb 13, 2005, 6:42 AM

Post #1 of 3 (1553 views)
Shortcut
water damage Can't Post

I have a sony 34 inch wide screen kd-34xbr800. The set is two years old and I had a roof leak right above it. I was not home at the time so a significant amount of water got inside. I had a tech come out and he saw alot of corrosion and stopped there. Is this $2000 TV worthless now? If it is not cost effective to fix, is it worth anything? the tube? Thanks

mel
Veteran

Feb 14, 2005, 1:20 AM

Post #2 of 3 (1541 views)
Shortcut
Re: [whataguy] water damage [In reply to] Can't Post

A person with a first hand observation is in a better position to advise you that someone here. Normally, rainwater alone should not do that much damage as long as it was allowed to dry out before turned on but who knows what contaminates that it picked up on its course from the roof to the set. If there is extensive corrosion, it probably is not salvagable. You might want to check out www.FreeFlatScreens.com/?r=10948674 for an opportunity to earn a free replacement for this set with a little effort on your part.

shadetree
Veteran

Feb 14, 2005, 1:48 AM

Post #3 of 3 (1539 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] water damage [In reply to] Can't Post

water will corrode leads on parts unless dried quickly a hairdryer is good you will likely notice leads on parts have turned green

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)