Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
ECE VCR player cannot turn on

william lan
New User

Jul 21, 2010, 1:41 AM

Post #1 of 16 (3079 views)
Shortcut
ECE VCR player cannot turn on Can't Post

I have disconnected my vcr player to clean the drum but it cannot turn on anymore. The fuse seems OK. Please help.

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 21, 2010, 1:49 AM

Post #2 of 16 (3078 views)
Shortcut
Re: [william lan] ECE VCR player cannot turn on [In reply to] Can't Post

C416?

-------------------------

william lan
New User

Jul 21, 2010, 2:03 AM

Post #3 of 16 (3076 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] ECE VCR player cannot turn on [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry dear. I am new and not a technician. What is C416?

william lan
New User

Jul 21, 2010, 5:13 AM

Post #4 of 16 (3072 views)
Shortcut

May be you need the model number...ECE brand, model EVR248CP.....please help what is C416?

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 21, 2010, 7:28 AM

Post #5 of 16 (3069 views)
Shortcut

WTF!

Google: Your search - EVR248CP - did not match any documents.

ECE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECE

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Jul 21, 2010, 10:39 PM)

Barry777
User

Jul 21, 2010, 1:20 PM

Post #6 of 16 (3064 views)
Shortcut

I got this one...

ECE (Extremely Cheap Electronics) is the Dollar General brand, and that was a very secret model that was designed to self-destruct at the first head cleaning interval. It sold for $8.95, was only meant for transfer of one's VHS collection to DVD, and was a revolutionary design that spun the entire cassette around a stationary head drum, borrowing from window fan technology. The "EVR" in the model number stands for Entire VHS Rotation. C416 was the only electronic component in the unit, but was a very precise value that cannot be purchased (7.4500062 uF).

This VCR cannot be thrown away, and MUST be returned to Dollar General for proper and legal disposal. This was a top secret unit meant for govenrment use, and was never supposed to fall into consumer hands, thus explaining the lack of available documentation. A design flaw allows C416 to begin venting chloroflourocarbons into the atmosphere upon self-destruction, with Radon gas and Uraplutonium being dangerous byproducts of the emission. The user must wear a face mask and thick protective gloves when handling this machine. Should you experience shortness of breath, a strong buzzing sound or a faint metallic odor while carrying it, immediately stop, drop, roll and begin CPR.
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

(This post was edited by Barry777 on Jul 21, 2010, 9:58 PM)

william lan
New User

Jul 22, 2010, 12:25 AM

Post #7 of 16 (3056 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barry777] ECE VCR player cannot turn on [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the info. Any suggestion of troubleshooting? In fact it has been repaired twice by a technician costing me $40 each. It would not be economical if I send it for repair again unless I get your help just to try out on my own. Anyway I notice two slight-bulged capacitors namely Ricon 25v 1000uf and Samhwa 450v 2.2uf in the power supply compartment. Could they be the culprits? Thank you.

Barry777
User

Jul 22, 2010, 12:52 AM

Post #8 of 16 (3054 views)
Shortcut

Hi William, I hope you I was just kidding before. Those caps could definitely be the cause of the problem, especially the 2.2 uF, 450 volt one. It's always low capacity, high voltage caps that go first. I would replace them both and see what happens.
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 22, 2010, 2:05 AM

Post #9 of 16 (3053 views)
Shortcut

I'm still concerned why no hits on Google for this (cough) fine piece of engineering?Wink

william lan
New User

Jul 22, 2010, 2:32 AM

Post #10 of 16 (3050 views)
Shortcut

Barry, haha ! I got your joke. Anyway, thanks for the prompt reply. Appreciate that. I will get those caps replaced and get back to you. Your post has at least thought me 'low capacity, high voltage caps that go first'. Have a nice day. Regards.

william lan
New User

Jul 24, 2010, 8:15 AM

Post #11 of 16 (3037 views)
Shortcut

Had those 25V 1000uF and 450V 2.2uF replaced. Was so happy that the power came in but it lasted for just 5 seconds when a cap 50V 47uF exploded 'pop' in the same power circuit board. I then replaced the 50v 47uF cap, unfortunately it popped again. FYI it is marked CP14 in the circuit board. Please advise..thanks. <br>

(This post was edited by william lan on Jul 24, 2010, 8:20 AM)

Barry777
User

Jul 24, 2010, 4:10 PM

Post #12 of 16 (3030 views)
Shortcut

Hi William,

Well, it looks like we're onto something. Electrolytics generally explode when they're installed backwards, as they have a plus and minus side. Generally, there's a large stripe running down one side and this is the negative side in the consumer industry. Also, the plus lead will be a bit longer for faster identification and easier insertion in the production environment. The board is often also marked with the polarity. Whenever possible, designers lay out circuit boards so that all components face the same way - in other words, all negative stripes face the same way, and Pin 1 of all IC's also face the same way. This enables inspectors to quickly find errors and bitch at more assemblers in an 8 hour day.

One caution: Military grade caps are the opposite, with the identifying mark on the plus lead. But the plus lead will still be longer. I'll bet you had a backwards cap in there. Also, that 450 volt cap MUST be at least 450 volt rating. This would normally not be in anyone's normal stock of parts, as most values under 10 uF are generally at 50 volts, 63 volts, or sometimes 160 volts. A 2.2 uF, 450 volt cap would almost need to be special ordered.

If the right parts were installed correctly, then you might have a shorted voltage regulator IC on the power board.

Carry on, Major!

william lan
New User

Jul 25, 2010, 5:44 AM

Post #13 of 16 (3024 views)
Shortcut

Hi Barry, cap 50V 47uF which was the originally part in the board exploded after replacement of caps 450V 2.2uF (was lucky to get this 450v cap here) and 25V 1000 uF. It could not be in wrong polarities as it has been functioning for years. Assuming my own replacement of cap 50V 47uF was correct though exploded the second time, what could be other culprit apart from 'a shorted voltage regulator IC' as mentioned by you? Will replacing a higher values of the exploded cap 50V 47uF help solve this problem? As long as it does not hurt me LOL !! Please bear with me for my ignorance.

Barry777
User

Jul 25, 2010, 5:52 AM

Post #14 of 16 (3021 views)
Shortcut

Sounds like there's a more serious problem then, as a cap of the prope value and voltage should not explode (of course). At this point, you might be better off getting another VCR, unless you know someone with the service manual and the required test equipment. A higher voltage cap might work for a short time, but I wouldn't do that as a permanant cure as there might be a fire hazard the way your machine is now. It could possibly catch on fire when you're at work or something.

william lan
New User

Jul 25, 2010, 6:04 AM

Post #15 of 16 (3020 views)
Shortcut

Appreciate your prompt advice. In fact I have discounted using this VCR back as it has been repaired a few times. I thought I could take this opportunity to learn more though unsuccessful in solving the problem. Have a nice day Barry. Cheers

william lan
New User

Aug 11, 2010, 5:51 AM

Post #16 of 16 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Not satisfied with it, I changed all 3 cap again, it worked well but just for a day. When I switched on again the next day, the same cap exploded again.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.16 s on (CGI/1.1)