Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
Finally - source for VCR tools!

Barry777
User

Jan 16, 2010, 8:09 PM

Post #1 of 1 (1731 views)
Shortcut
Finally - source for VCR tools! Can't Post

Since it took me so long to find these, I thought maybe other VCR enthusiasts haven't yet discovered a good, steady source of the many specialized tools used for VCR alignment - like that cool kit of several tools in one handy zipper pouch we used to see everywhere 20 years ago, but can't find these days to save our lives, even on eBay.

The place is STUDIO SOUND ELECTRONICS - they have that cool kit in stock regularly, plus sets of the tiny Allen wrenches you can't find in the hardware stores, so essential for adjusting Beta tape path guides. Additionally, they sell some of the more popular tools individually, like guide post adjusters and audio/control head adjusters. And of course, they stock a wide assortment of pinch rollers, tires, belts and a few other VCR parts. They can tell you quickly if they have a roller that will fit your machine, so they must have a really nice cross reference system. About the only thing they don't have are screwdriver-style Allen wrenches, but at least the ones they do have are sized very accurately and work great. I'm pretty sure they can also find video heads - at least any that are still available.

Amazingly, they charge much less for these tools than they used to cost when they were popular. The kits we once used to see for like $80, they sell for around - well, I forgot, but wayyyyy cheaper. The tools appear to be cast rather than machined, but still work very nicely just the same. You may need to take a file to the guide post adjuster to adjust the fit and feel to your preference, which is fine with me. Though I admit, I've filed notches in screwdrivers to make guide post tools for so many years, I still prefer to do that just out of habit and familiarity.

Great place, great tools and - most importantly - great knowledge and customer service through e-mail. Give them a try! For about $100, you can end up with a super setup of tools - and they also have discounted package deals including common hardware (like those retaining rings that shoot across the room). Great company to do business with.
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)