Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
Fisher VCR Model FVH-720 (very old) No Power

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Barry777
User

Jun 3, 2010, 12:31 AM

Post #26 of 41 (4700 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bandit] Fisher VCR Model FVH-720 (very old) No Power [In reply to] Can't Post

Bandit,

If you're handy with an ohmmeter, you can compare readings from the two mode switches in their various positions, that way you don't have to go to the hassle of swapping them between machines. You can test the motor with a battery or wall wart power supply. 12 volts DC is about the most I would put on it, and definitely disconnect the motor from the circuit first, or you stand the chance of harming whatever circuit drives the motor. Once the motor is isolated from the circuit, it doesn't matter which way you apply the test voltage - the motor will simply run in the opposite direction if the hookup is incorrect.

Also, keep in mind that anything connected to the mode switch will alter the ohm readings, so it's not a bad idea to isolate that too before testing it. If you don't have an ohmmeter, you can wire a battery to a light bulb or power supply, then simply make a break anywhere in that circuit and attach a wire to both ends of the break. If there is continuity on anything you touch those two wires too, the bulb will light and you know it's making a connection. "Continuity" means the switch is closing and making contact. Be sure to check all combinations of terminals and switch positions.

Enjoy the pursuit!

Don't be afraid to make detailed notes and diagrams when you temporarily disconnect something for testing - you will usually be very glad you did when it's time to put things back together!
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

Bandit
New User

Jun 3, 2010, 11:13 PM

Post #27 of 41 (4696 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barry777] Fisher VCR Model FVH-720 (very old) No Power [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Barry !
Thanks for the reply. Got your message a little late. My fault for not checking this site for your reply. Because of that, oh well, I went through the hassle of swapping. Anyway, it wasn't that much of a big deal. Since the MODE SWITCH & LOAD MOTOR are identical in both VCR models, I took the chance. This is what I did; I first removed these 2 parts from the functional working VCR FVH-720 & put them aside. Then I installed the 2 suspect parts from the non functional VCR FVH-721 into the functional VCR FVH-720. I followed the timing procedure that I had written down. Then, I plugged the unit in, power light stayed on & both suspect parts worked perfectly through play, FF, rewind, pause, stop. Since they both worked perfectly, I would have to rule them out. Would you agree?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the design and layout of the electronics on the non functional VCR FVH-721 are different from the FVH-720, mostly likely because the FVH-721 is a later model. I believe that is the only distinguishing difference between both VCR models. I see no difference mechanically. There must be another reason why that LOAD MOTOR refuses to move in the non functional VCR FVH-721. I am convinced it is NOT a timing issue!! If both VCR's are mechanically identical, having the same levers, gears, switches, motors & carriage, why should the timing be different? Besides that, there are only just a few timing combinations as the gear only has THREE markings!!

I think its got to be some sort of power supply issue because that motor is good but simply not getting any power. I have traced the power wires from the load motor to a 12 pin IC labeled LB1649 which also controls that specific LOAD MOTOR. Also, I would think, that if I were to trace that IC, it most likely would lead me to the power supply board.

I am leaning toward either that specific IC (LB1649) being bad, or maybe a cap or some other resistor, diode in the power supply that has gone bad. What do you think? Also, can this IC (LB1649) be tested? If so how? Also, beside caps, what other component parts would be suspect in the power supply board?
As always, I appreciate your input. Thanks,

The Bandit

P.S. I do have a digital multi-meter, as well as a separate continuity light tester, Circuit tester (6 & 12 V) with power on. Also an old time Triplet needle type A.C. Volt meter that has seen better days.

(This post was edited by Bandit on Jun 3, 2010, 11:19 PM)

jts1957
Veteran

Jun 4, 2010, 4:01 AM

Post #28 of 41 (4692 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bandit] Fisher VCR Model FVH-720 (very old) No Power [In reply to] Can't Post

That IC has a history of going bad, small ohm/wattage resistor also opens/changes value, if memory serves. Here is datasheet: http://www.alldatasheet.com/...95/SANYO/LB1649.html
When you change it "float" 4 groups of 3 pins on each corner, then push large pin most of the way though PC Board, do same to other, then remove old solder.

-------------------------

Bandit
New User

Jun 7, 2010, 1:38 AM

Post #29 of 41 (4685 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Fisher VCR Model FVH-720 (very old) No Power [In reply to] Can't Post

Jts,
Thanks for the reply. I am not sure about the resistor, however I shall order that IC & follow your recommendation on how to change it. Once I complete the job, I'll post the result here.
With much appreciation,
The Bandit

Bandit
New User

Jun 30, 2010, 9:30 PM

Post #30 of 41 (4667 views)
Shortcut

Hi Guys !
I finally got that IC LB1649 installed in the Fisher Model 721. It was indeed, as I suspected, that specific IC that was bad. After installing it, and with those new set of belts, the unit works beautifully. Just like new again!! I must say that it is a most gratifying feeling to have repaired these 2 VCR's. I wish to thank you all for your time and all your wonderful replies which were extremely valuable to me !!! Wink
The Bandit

Barry777
User

Jun 30, 2010, 11:59 PM

Post #31 of 41 (4664 views)
Shortcut

BRAVO JTS - SUPER TECH !!!
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

Bandit
New User

Jul 22, 2010, 12:27 AM

Post #32 of 41 (4647 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barry777] Fisher VCR Model FVH-720 (very old) No Power [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Guys !
OH NO !! I'm back sadly to say that after watching 6 VHS movies, the darn VCR went bust again with the same problem on the Fisher Model 721. Needless to say, I am disappointed. After installing that IC part # LB1649, it failed again rendering the load motor inoperative !! Something is causing that IC to short which is beyond my skill level. Ergo, before I trash the unit, can anyone offer a solution to this mystery?
Thank you all with great appreciation,
The Bandit Mad
Never say die but fed up & ready to smash the unit with an axe

Barry777
User

Jul 22, 2010, 12:50 AM

Post #33 of 41 (4646 views)
Shortcut

Some possible causes are: Load motor is gummed up drawing excessive current, mechanism is gummed up requiring too much torque from the loading motor (thereby also drawing excessive current), caps going bad in the power supply, thus supplying the IC with dirty power. There's also the possibility that you just got a lemon IC, or an inferior substitute.

If it's not a particularly fancy VCR, you might be better off just getting another one that has minor mechanical issues. But I'd be too curious and would want to know why the new IC shot craps.

Bandit
New User

Jul 23, 2010, 3:46 AM

Post #34 of 41 (4641 views)
Shortcut

Hi Barry,
Appreciate your reply. Your analysis is logical and makes perfect sense to a novice like me. I do recall the following:
1). I checked all the motors and saw no gumm & they all spun good.
2). As for the mechanism, might you be referring to the mechanism that pulls the tape forward to the head? If so, I remember that I lubed the track & it had a smooth operation.
3). Caps going bad on power supply seems to me to be the issue. That or perhaps,
4) A lemon IC. I doubt it because the IC was an authentic part by Sanyo which looked new and the part # LB1649 was clearly shown on the IC.
Perhaps if I explain exactly the VCR's behavior during the failure might shed some light. I was watching a VHS home movie & tried to put it on pause with the remote. Nothing happened. No matter what button I pressed on the remote had no affect. Then, I went to the VCR & manually tried to pause and stop it, but it kept playing. I had to physically unplug the VCR to stop it from playing. When I re-pluged, I was back to square one as I couldn't get it to load and play. Very odd behavior to say the least !!
The unit is quite old & the most likely culprit would have to be another electronic part that is bad causing the IC to burn out. Although I see no leaky caps, they do in fact dry out with age. The power supply doesn't look all that complicated. However, there are lots of caps (small and large) as well as a voltage regulator. To replace all these parts might not be cost effective. In addition, there could be some other electronic component on the main board other than the power supply board that could be bad too. I don't have the proper testing tools & more importantly the skill level to figure it all out. Although, I surely would like to know what is causing that IC to fail, I just don't know if it's a good idea. Maybe, it's time for me to wave the white flag of defeat !! Crazy
What do you think?
The bandit

Barry777
User

Jul 23, 2010, 4:08 AM

Post #35 of 41 (4638 views)
Shortcut

jts seems to have more expertise with this model, but I'll offer my logic just for fun. Any very old VCR will likely have a bad cap or two in the power supply, so I'd replace the PS caps before doing much else. If that fails to restore operation, I'd be inclined to just get another machine. But you're talking to a guy who only spends appreciable time and money on professional machines and has very little concern for consumer units that can be found for 5 or 10 bucks at the thrift shops, often in working condition. You may be in a different situation, but I still think you can get an equal machine for a few bucks and an hour or two of belt/tire changing.

Kind of a tough call, but that's what I'd probably do if new PS caps don't get your existing unit back up and running. One thing I will say is that a motor can turn freely and still draw too much current; this was the case with one of my ADAT machines. Turns out the circular magnet had a small crack which made the motor work too hard to maintain the required RPM's.

Bandit
New User

Jul 24, 2010, 3:58 AM

Post #36 of 41 (4633 views)
Shortcut

Fair enough Barry !! Your logic is as always impeccable and this time quite humorous. lol Cool. I know full well the VCR isn't worth 2 cents of anyone's time. It's just that I feel that the darn thing as gotten the best of me, as insane as that may sound. I think I'll hang on to the unit just to see what jts has to say. I do recall him mentioning in a prior post about a RESISTOR that may have something to do with that specific IC.
I appreciate all the time and consideration you've given me. In the process I have learned a few things and if one can learn something in the process, that in of itself is an accomplishment. Thanks for all the wonderfull suggestions Wink.

The Bandit

Barry777
User

Jul 24, 2010, 4:15 AM

Post #37 of 41 (4630 views)
Shortcut

Bandit,

You might also look for an open IC protector, which is a tiny stand-up rectangular black thingy with 2 leads. These were in some VCR's, and would open up, ideally, before the IC it was protecting would blow. And of course, you might try replacing that IC again just to make sure that is what blew. If it restores operation, then I would keep a finger on it to see if it gets hot. But - some power IC's run very hot in normal operation anyway, so you would almost need an identical machine to compare it to.

I'm not too proud to epoxy a small bar of metal to this kind of chip to extend its life, as it will draw some of the heat away to be dissipated by the natural airflow through the unit. Here's another cute lil' hint: I generally order 2 of most active devices (transistors and IC's), as I'm too lazy to really analyze the circuit to make sure nothing else is wrong before replacing it. If the new one blows, then I'll take some measurements, feel a few things, and replace it again while keeping the machine open and keeping a close eye on things for several days.

I'd say jts definitely knows more about this one though - let's see if we can coax some more knowledge out of him :-)

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 24, 2010, 5:51 AM

Post #38 of 41 (4626 views)
Shortcut

Sorry Bandit, I HAD that service manual, but threw it out with the rest of my outdated materials.
Resistor I was referring to would serve the same purpose as the IC protector.
Looked up in my notes (and other sources I'm privy to) sometimes list loading motor along with IC as being replaced.
If you hold a DC motor in your hand and place a voltage across its two terminals, the motor will spin in one direction - when you reverse the polarity the motor will spin in the other direction. This is the basic function of the IC. Half would do the cassette loading motor, the other the tape loading motor if memory serves.

-------------------------

Barry777
User

Jul 24, 2010, 3:45 PM

Post #39 of 41 (4623 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Fisher VCR Model FVH-720 (very old) No Power [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess at this point, we would have to measure the current draw of both motors after replacing the IC again, and look on the IC's data sheet to see if it's capable of supplying that much current. If you're not familiar with current measurement, it's done in SERIES - meaning you have to disconnect one of the motor wires and insert the meter into the path. Most meters have a separate jack for current measurement, and it's important to IMMEDIATELY plug your test lead back into the "voltage" jack when finished. Or, you'll forget and end up trying to measure voltage with the meter set up for current and blow something - usually the meter's internal fuse, but possibly something in the equipment you're working on. This is because a current meter presents a short circuit at the test probes, due to an internal shunt that routes most of the current around the actual meter.

jts suggesting motor replacement along with the IC bears out my previous suspicion, that the motors are drawing too much current. When I talked to the guy about my ADAT machine and he warned me to check current draw when replacing the drive IC, I thought "The motor is fine" because it turned freely. But sure enough, it was drawing more than twice its normal current and would have blown the new IC had I not kept a finger on the chip to monitor its temperature. If your tape drive motor is one of those large flat "pancake" types, I would definitely suspect excessive current draw from that puppy. Half of my drive IC runs the flourescent display, so it sounds like a fairly similar IC.

In my case, my motor had about a quarter-inch-thick circular magnet (looks like a large, very thin doughnut) around the inside of the case. Since magnets are quite brittle, it developed a crack from either temperature variations or something. When a magnet cracks, it radically changes its magnetic properties as the edges of the crack suddenly become north and south poles. That poor motor was working its butt off trying to overcome it, and appeared to be working fine in operation. But the driver chip got super-hot in FF and REW modes.

Since this would be a very hard motor to find (and cost $50 to boot), I'd scrap the machine if new PS caps don't do anything for it. Since I stock thousands of all standard values, recapping is a very common practice in my shop, and often fixes mysterious problems.

(This post was edited by Barry777 on Jul 24, 2010, 3:48 PM)

Bandit
New User

Jul 27, 2010, 5:10 AM

Post #40 of 41 (4617 views)
Shortcut

Hi Guys,
Thank you for your all your wonderful replies. I am trying to sort out the information you have provided me with. All of which sounds logical and pinpointed to:
1) Replacing all the caps in the power supply. Both small and large.
2) Replacing the load motor because it might be drawing too much power.
3) Possibly replace an open IC protector.
4) Replacing the bi-directional IC LB1649 again.
At this juncture, I don't think it wise or cost effective for me to proceed. I am inclined to agree with Barry that it is not worth the the expense, time or effort. Barry, given the information you provided me with, I can now understand that consumer electronics aren't worth the hassle. You were so right!! I think if one were to add up just the parts along with the load motor, not to mention the time involved for a novice like me would make the whole project an exercise in futility. I will say this, I had a wonderful experience at this site and learned so much because of all of you !! Barry, thank you !!Wink
The Bandit Cool

Barry777
User

Jul 27, 2010, 5:57 AM

Post #41 of 41 (4614 views)
Shortcut

Yeahhhhh, professional machines are much more rewarding as they generally stay fixed for years. They were designed for continuous, heavy use so their electronics are more stable and reliable. Most only need minor mechanical tinkering, and don't have tires or many belts to constantly cause trouble. And if they do malfunction, they even tell you where to start looking via the error codes on the display.

As you've likely noticed, I'm a huge fan of the JVC pro machines. If you're not concerned with recording from the TV (which you can still do via the A/V line), you can often pick up a BR-S800U for less than $100, sometimes as little as $10 plus shipping from an eBay seller. Some of them already work, but appear a bit intimidating to the uneducated seller because of the many controls. The only part that sometimes needs replacing is the pinch roller, which is still available for about $6 - and two loading belts which costs maybe 3 bucks for the pair. All easily accessible from the top!
If you're gonna tinker, let it pay off and get a pro machine to play around with :-) So far I've purchased a total of 10 JVC professional machines and, though I'm admittedly an experienced technician, I've been able to fix all of them pretty easily with a little lube and TLC. Heck, I even have a spare or two I could sell - the BR-7000 series, but the pinch roller is no longer available. Good for several years "as is" though.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.17 s on (CGI/1.1)