Go "Pro" for reliability

Barry777
User

Jun 2, 2010, 12:35 PM

Post #1 of 1 (1507 views)
Shortcut
Go "Pro" for reliability Can't Post

Just a note, gentlemen:

I've been collecting a number of professional grade VCR's, the models of which are listed in my signature. Once serviced routinely (lubricate mechanism and replace belts), these machines have proven to be extremely stable and reliable. Since they are designed for continuous, rough use, they have direct drive capstans, supply and takeup motors instead of idlers and drive belts, and are also very easy to work on since they need to be cleaned probably weekly in the pro environment.

Another nice thing is that, since they were the machines used to professionally duplicate the movies you used to buy in stores, they aren't affected by Macrovision or other copy prevention signals. Since I've had so much bad luck with the DVD format, I immediately make VHS copies and haven't had a problem yet. Same goes for any VHS movies I don't want to put too much wear on. They all copy without a hitch. Plus, you can set the menu options for an unbelieveable number of parameters and features.

The downside is that these machines don't have TV tuners - but that's an easy problem to work around by various means. Also, there are no wireless remotes for them. But if you use a VCR a lot, you're best off grabbing a pro machine for more serious work.
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

(This post was edited by Barry777 on Jun 2, 2010, 12:55 PM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)