knight_de_de
New User

Dec 27, 2004, 12:43 PM

Post #1 of 3 (5772 views)
Shortcut
Help! SONY SLV-SE720 (UK Model) Can't Post

Hi,

Here's an interesting phenomen:

I've got a problem with a UK-spec Sony SLV-SE720 Nicam Stereo VCR. The unit is just over 2 years old and has been operating troublefree until now.

The problem started when I reconnected the VCR to the mains supply having rearranged the contents of my TV cabinet. I've read the manual extensively and the usual troubleshooting process does not help.

I suspect that there is either a fault in the "firmware" or that the VCR has somehow entered a secret service mode.

The LED front display remains off when the unit is powered up and the buttons on the front of the unit are all mixed up - EJECT does not work, the ON/OFF button performs the eject function instead. FF & RW appear to work OK - as does the PLAY button, but there is no output to the screen during tape playback.

The SETUP menu gets even more interesting - half the menu options that should be present on this model (and which were definitely previously there) are now missing. The NICAM stereo settings are now missing, for example. The blue menu screens appear, but with a reduced number of entries. It isn't possible to run the AUTO-SETUP because the auto-tuning feature with the progress bar never appears. When you select SP/LP on the remote, a (very) brief message to say that the unit doesn't support this feature - which it most certainly does.

I tried resetting the unit by powering it up several times and holding down various of the front panel buttons. Somehow I then managed to enter a blue type of service screen - with a table of binary settings. Across to top row was "AV" followed by 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0. The first column was labeled AV1, AV2, AV3 etc. and the remaining "cells" were binary "1"s and "0"s which perhaps activate/deactivate various functions, depending on model designation and region etc. I didn't make any changed to these settings.

Does anyone know how I can reset the VCR to all its factory settings? Or does someone perhaps have any other ideas on how to fix the VCR? Perhaps someone has a link to a PDF Service Manual.

Thank you in anticipation of a solution and happy Xmas!

Paul (knight_de_de)

tyr
New User

Apr 30, 2005, 1:31 PM

Post #2 of 3 (5464 views)
Shortcut
Re: [knight_de_de] Help! SONY SLV-SE720 (UK Model) [FIXED] [In reply to] Can't Post

I know this is an old post but I've just had pretty much the same problem and managed to get it (mostly) fixed. Problem was that the front display is dark, tracking doesn't work properly, most of the options disappeared.

I've found this PDF and reset the codes as it instructs and it's got it going again.
http://digitaldirectuk.com/pdf/Sony720.pdf

I'm in the UK however these seem to be for the US(?) version of the player as it is having difficulties when recording widescreen and displays 'showview' instead of 'videoplus'.

I'll ask at the Sony Centre in town to see if they've got a set of the codes for the UK version.

knight_de_de
New User

May 1, 2005, 1:48 PM

Post #3 of 3 (5456 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tyr] Help! SONY SLV-SE720 (UK Model) [FIXED] [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the info and the PDF - the post is quite old, but the problem is unfortunately still current!

I found these useful webpages:
http://www.avrepair.info/tipsgeneral103.htm
http://www.avrepair.info/tipsgeneral112.htm

I didn't start replacing resistors and capacitors etc. however the general instructions on resetting the machine proved to be very useful. The VCR got up and running again, however the tracking needs some serious realignment and I haven't been able to source a VHS aligment tape (such as the KRV-4821PS) and any such tapes appear to be prohibitively expensive - a new VCR may even be cheaper.

Consequently the display now works again and the correct menus have been recovered, but record and playback are not yet working properly.

It seems that the only long-term solution would be to replace the surface mounted components as described - however I'd like to avoid any soldering unless absolutely necessary.

Any further info or tips would be most welcome. Sony are not always very forthcoming when it comes to disclosing servicing and maintenance information, but if you know someone friendly at a Sony Centre they may be prepared to shed some more light on the problem.

Thanks again!
Paul (knight_de_de)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)