JVC HRS5975 - Broken

kylerickards
New User

Sep 29, 2009, 7:51 PM

Post #1 of 9 (2356 views)
Shortcut
JVC HRS5975 - Broken Can't Post

Hi All

I have a JVC VCR which I have just removed from storage. Upon doing this, a part has come loose inside the machine (I can post a photo of it), could anyone assist in explaining how I reattach it inside the machine?

(Description: white plastic component with heavy metal disc on end, the disc has two u shapes cut out on either side)

Thanks
K

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 29, 2009, 10:34 PM

Post #2 of 9 (2351 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kylerickards] JVC HRS5975 - Broken [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe you have something similar, if not the same.Wink
See:http://forum.eserviceinfo.com/...amp;highlight=roller

-------------------------

kylerickards
New User

Sep 30, 2009, 10:51 AM

Post #3 of 9 (2346 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] JVC HRS5975 - Broken [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi

Many thanks, that was exactly what I needed. My next problem is that when I put a tape in, it spins round then ejects itself. The two 'prongs' that take the tape around the head do not engage either so I think my machine may be finished :-(

Kyle

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 30, 2009, 5:29 PM

Post #4 of 9 (2344 views)
Shortcut

That's why they call this a repair forum.Cool

techchris
Veteran

Sep 30, 2009, 6:36 PM

Post #5 of 9 (2342 views)
Shortcut

from memory the jvc decks used to go out of alignment and jam up which then had to be dismantled and rebuilt,using the service manual to line the mechanism up correctly.So long ago since I did one I cant remember more than that. you could probably buy a VCR for about £35 ($50) so its not really worth the time to do it.

kylerickards
New User

Sep 30, 2009, 7:14 PM

Post #6 of 9 (2341 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] JVC HRS5975 - Broken [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks both. Bit sad as it was Super VHS machine but I suspect as you say I will get one for peanuts these days.

Kyle

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 30, 2009, 10:20 PM

Post #7 of 9 (2340 views)
Shortcut

Not Super VHS.

I think this is also the same unit that had the brass piece underside of each loading post assembly that would "fell off."Wink

Barry777
User

Jan 15, 2010, 5:37 AM

Post #8 of 9 (2258 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] JVC HRS5975 - Broken [In reply to] Can't Post

Purchasing the service manual for this model (or most any VCR for that matter) will teach you endless amounts about how they work in general, mechanical parts common to most units, and especially what NOT to try without having the proper gauges and test equipment. Many VCR problems can be diagnosed by simply watching the mechanism try to work, while others can be very deceiving and involve parts you wouldn't even be aware of without some technical guidance (for instance, the "mode select switch" which is usually hidden and is operated by the mechanism during its many movements). Trying to repair or adjust the unit without knowing what the problem is will only make it worse.
I would recommend a basic book on VCR repair, PLUS the service manual for the unit(s) you own. After several sessions on the toilet with these publications, you won't believe you once tried to fix VCR's without them. I made my living repairing TV's and VCR's in the 80's when they were still relatively new and didn't suffer the effects of age - in most cases I was able to muddle through using my eyes and ears. But nowadays, they have much different problems and require a lot more time and study to effectively repair, not to mention that most of them are now out of alignment and require some test equipment and Tentel gauges to get them back up to snuff - especially Beta machines which are more complex and have more to adjust. Whereas most VHS machines have 2 adjustable guide posts, the Beta format has a minimum of 9 - PLUS a capstan tilt adjustment on some units. These adjustments all have a large effect on playback quality, and can result in no playback at all if adjusted too far out of spec.
Unfortunately, most service manuals don't include detailed information on exactly how the mechanism works, this is where the basic rapair book comes in handy. Using bits and pieces from both publications, one can usually figure out what goes on to produce a picture and sound.
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

jts1957
Veteran

Jan 15, 2010, 6:29 AM

Post #9 of 9 (2256 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barry777] JVC HRS5975 - Broken [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll presume since you're new here that you meant to address your comments to kylerickards and pushed the wrong reply button.Shocked

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)