Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
JVC VCR door won't close

stars1234
New User

Jul 5, 2005, 2:36 AM

Post #1 of 1 (4397 views)
Shortcut
JVC VCR door won't close Can't Post

Someone pulled out a cassette while it was stuck.

At least I think thats what happened.

The VCR, JVC HR-4800U (a good one), wouldn't accept tapes.

Opening the top, I got the transport to operate again. It accepts tapes, plays, rewinds, etc.

On eject, it will eject but just as it fininshes ejecting, the open lid plunger moves forward and holds the lid up (about half way).

It looks like on the left side of the transport, a plastic part might not be in the right place, but putting it where I think it should go (not easy) didn't help.

On the right, is a metal stop, with a tab attached to the carriage. The distance can be adjusted by manually moving the transport gears forward (opens the door), or clockwise (closes the door).

When the tab contacts the stop (the first time) after manually moving the gears to let the door close, it keeps the plunger from moving and the door stays closed.

On the second try though, the gears have rewound themselves, and now, when the tape is ejected, the tab is still a small distance away from the stop. Once the tape is ejected, the plunger mechanism for the door, moves forward until the metal tab reaches the stop. This movement forward, holds the door open.

If I rewind the gears to the closed position, everything works again--the first time. Then it's doing its own thing.

I assume something is out of place, maybe the plastic part on the left, or a gear has been jumped? But I have no clue, after working on it for six hours, of how to fix it.

I was looking at Epinions and among the jvc VCRs, even though this is an older one, it was something like 5th or 6th down the list, with 5 star rating. While their newer ones had only 3 stars.

I don't want to junk it because the door is 1/2 way open. But I don't want to spend $150 to fix it either--especially when the new ones are inferior to this one.

Can anyone walk me through a fix on this?

thanks,

Bob

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)