Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
Lithium Grease - NOT What I Expected

Barry777
User

Jul 31, 2010, 7:34 AM

Post #1 of 1 (2866 views)
Shortcut
Lithium Grease - NOT What I Expected Can't Post

Here I thought I was using one of the best VCR lubricants, LubriMatic White Lithium Grease from Home Depot. It seemed fine when I applied it a few months ago - but now it has caked and hardened somewhat, looking and feeling a little like cake frosting that's been sitting out for a few months. I expected it to still be nice and - well, "greasy" and slippery. Not the case! I won't be using this stuff anymore, time to get some Phonolube, Molytone or some other REAL plastic lubricant.

If anyone out there iknows a good plastic lubricant that stays soft and slimy, I'm all ears!

UPDATE - finally got around to removing the lithium grease, and it was one heck of a gummy, sticky mess that took hours to fully remove using wood sticks, alcohol and brushes. Actually had to SCRAPE it off where it was thin and had dried up. It was more like glue than grease - I definitely don't recommend lithium grease for VCR's - at least not that brand. Haven't tried any others, and don't think I will. Instead, I bought a tube of Dow Corning High Vacuum Grease, which I already found to stay greasy for years and is safe for plastics. It lists for $40 for a 6 ounce tube (wow!), but I found it for $16 online. So far, this is the best stuff I've found. It's thick enough to stay where you put it, about the consistency and appearance of silicone caulk. A syringe with a long tip is ideal for applying this stuff, as you can squeeze it into those narrow control cam channels and lay a nice thick bead across worm gear threads.
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

(This post was edited by Barry777 on Aug 5, 2010, 12:28 PM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)