Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
Need pointers RCA VGT650

heviarti
User

Jun 5, 2010, 3:55 AM

Post #1 of 20 (3855 views)
Shortcut
Need pointers RCA VGT650 Can't Post

I have decided to take the magnavox down so I can work on it. I've been reluctant to seriously disassemble it because it's my TV tuner. The only other thing I have with a big nasty '80s tuner is my RCA VGT650 which was made in 1982 or 83.

The problem is I can't figure out how to operate the tuner. I know that sounds really stupid, but If you saw it, and had never operated anything except a mechanical with knobs, or one of the new style fly-by-wire tuners you'd be confused too.
It's all dip switches and rollers, and I don't get it. Does anyone know how to work one of these?

I think the heads on this one might be a little questionable, but it plays. It also has stereo in and out, not mono like the Magnavox, It's got slightly more I/O, and If I can ever find a Select-A-View, it'll match it. It also has some adjustments more accessible, and has one of them Dolby marks on it, hey that's good right?

It's been sitting on my oldest TV ('50s vintage 21 inch Motorola that needs fixed) at my parent's house. Went and picked it up today.

Anyway, anybody know how to work this tuner?

jts1957
Veteran

Jun 5, 2010, 7:36 PM

Post #2 of 20 (3852 views)
Shortcut
Re: [heviarti] Need pointers RCA VGT650 [In reply to] Can't Post

Hook an antenna to RF Input. All positions work in the same way. I am assuming you have analog stations still available (or you'll be tuning for channel 3 [or 4] - DTV set top box)

Choose the position you desire to adjust (let's assume "C"). Most of these systems WILL reference letters "A" thru whatever letter is the last position, be it a 12 ("L") position or a 14 ("N") position, or whatever. Select position "C" - find the slide switch for position "C" and slide it to the "band" that the station you are wanting to tune is in (VL for ch. 2 - 6 / VH for ch. 7 - 13 / UHF for ch. 14 thru 69). Next locate the thumb wheel for position "C' and rotate it until you see the desired channel's video and sound. Most have some sort of crude indicator; some are continuous tune, some once you reach one end of indicator you rotate thumb wheel in the opposite direction.

As far as "Stereo" goes, it will be SAME as you are used to with monophonic, except 2 channels - they literally cut the audio head space into two channels. You will NOT be recording from its tuner in Stereo, however if it has left & right RCA input jacks, that WILL be recorded in stereo. It will also ONLY be Stereo on prerecorded tapes with "Dolby stereo on linear tracks." NOT "HIFI."

-------------------------

heviarti
User

Jun 5, 2010, 9:15 PM

Post #3 of 20 (3846 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Need pointers RCA VGT650 [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I've been pulling down low power TV, and only the old tuners are clean enough to do it, if that makes sense to you.

I pretty much watch channel 35 (RTV) though there are two channels in spanish, two shopping channels and three or four christian channels. Other than watching Primier Impacto or something when 35's broadcast engineer gets lazy and goes off air it's always 35.

I didn't really expect to get stereo from anything other than tape, but it's got stereo jacks in and out. As it is I have a two to one adapter for audio so I don't lose a channel in pass-through, and I really need that cable elsewhere. I have a bp stabilizer box that takes stereo in, but only puts out mono, and since I've got my 3/4 inch VTR back out I'm going to use it for line levelling. I don't want to lose a channel out of it.

When I get home if Battlestar Galactica hasn't started, I'll pull the maganvox down and see what I can make the RCA do. I looked for an owners manual but didn't find one online. Any idea what the 5 pin DIN connector is for? If I can find a univeral with codes for a machine that old, I might not have to walk across the room to switch inputs or power on/off anymore. Still leaves me needing a wired remote for my Sony VO-2610.

heviarti
User

Jun 6, 2010, 4:35 PM

Post #4 of 20 (3842 views)
Shortcut

Well, whatever's wrong with the RCA ain't heads. I tried tuning in 35, no dice. picture flipped, rolled, tore, and generally wouldn't clean up. I tried to pull in 25, which is clear as a bell usually. The only difference was I got some color.

Playback used to be passable, with some rolling colors and a band of static occasionally. Now It rolls the picture and gives the static bar all the time, and occasionaly gives a semi-viewable picture..... just like off the tuner.

So, unless the tuner output comes through the heads (which doesn't make any sense) something else is wrong with it.

I ended up dragging out my Zenith vr9760w beta player, which has troubles... but not as bad as I thought. Amazingly the tuner is just a little cleaner. Where previously the color white would cause static, now the picture just washes out a little, and the sound stays steady. I think the machine was made by Sony. None of the tape mechanism seems to work however. The most I've gotten out of it is a little bump from the drive. Drum doesn't spin up.

jts1957
Veteran

Jun 6, 2010, 6:52 PM

Post #5 of 20 (3841 views)
Shortcut

I think the machine was made by Sony.

NO DAH! Zenith NEVER made a single consumer VCR. Sony / JVC / Gold Star.

heviarti
User

Jun 6, 2010, 7:27 PM

Post #6 of 20 (3836 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Need pointers RCA VGT650 [In reply to] Can't Post

Any idea what model Sony it is so I can look for a parts machine? Someone said my Magnavox might be a Panasonic... but no idea what model Panasonic to look for either.

No ideas on what the RCA's major malfunction might be? wonder where Barry is off to... I'm sure he'd have something to add. Think I'll go dub some more tape.

Barry777
User

Jun 6, 2010, 8:42 PM

Post #7 of 20 (3834 views)
Shortcut

Here I am, with an assortment of information. Zenith's VHS machines were made by JVC, whereas their Beta machines were made by Sony. Unfortunately, Zeniths are very scantily covered in my ISCET VCR Model Cross Reference book - probably because it was compiled based on information sent in by participating technicians from all over, and there never were many Zenith VCR's in shops. The closest I can come is the Zenith VR9700, which crosses to the Sony SL-5600.

My next and probably most helpful tip would be to obtain some general VCR repair books and also a few books on Basic Electronics. These will help you infinitely more than the few tidbits we can offer in response to your questions. You seem to already know more than enough technically to absorb basic electronics at the component level, which would then allow you to gain a more thorough understanding of how to diagnose many VCR malfunctions. We don't mind at all helping you (in fact, most technicians like to share and show off their knowledge to those less experienced), but I think you'll enjoy what you're doing more if you have more basic knowledge and study some electronics theory.

The best books I've found on VCR's include:

"How to Keep Your VCR Alive" by Steve Thomas. This book contains hundreds of illustrations and has a lot of model-specific goodies like part numbers, common failures, etc. Light, fun reading with hardly any complicated electronics drivel.

"Complete Guide to Videocassette Recorder Operation and Servicing" by John Lenk. This book goes much more deeply into the electronics end of things, and has EXCELLENT descriptions and illustrations pertaining to VHS and Beta tape path including basic mechanical alignment. This is one of VERY few books that goes into the Beta format in detail, and even has fairly in-depth discussions on the electronic differences between VHS and Beta format. The parts you don't understand will serve as a guide to what you'll want to study.

I'd stay away from anything written by Homer Davidson, as his books are mainly isolated case histories (this machine wouldn't do this, so I did this to fix it). The chances of having the same model with the same problem are virtually nonexistent. And most other VCR repair books were written for the average idiot and have way too much obvious basic information.

As far as learning basic component level electronics, it's mostly a matter of taste and what type of material grabs your attention. Myself, I like the little "courses" that contain like 60 small booklets, and allow you to really absorb one little part of it before moving onto the next lesson. You can find these on eBay (as well as everything else) without spending big bucks to take the actual courses. Most other books contain a lot of math and formulae you really don't need in order to just fix stuff - but it all eventually sinks in if you read enough of them. You'll never find a book that suggests replacing all of the electrolytic capacitors (which is standard procedure for vintage work), and you'll never find one that says "when troubleshooting, totally forget theory and just fix the damn thing" which I've found from 40 years of experience to be the real world solution. So, books are great for a basic knowledge base, but you should depend more on experience for correct answers. My favorite phrase I use at work is "I don't know how they work, I just fix 'em" - and I've been the most productive tech in the shop pretty much since I started over 3 years ago. While the other guys are farting around with their scope probes and poring over the schematic, I'm replacing what I know is the part most likely to fail (after one or two very basic measurements), then moving on to the next job.

The next tip is to get the service manual for whatever you're working on. The service manual contains full schematics, board layouts and - very important for really old VCR's - part numbers, so you can do some research and see if you're going to waste a lot of time troubleshooting something you can no longer find parts for. Most older VCR's have a lot of AN-xxxx chips that were made only for VCR functions, and thus dried up when those VCR models went out of production. You can usually fabricate replacement mechanical parts, but you'll never duplicate a chip's internal circuitry.

Most service manuals include a Theory of Operation - a very detailed description of how the unit operates. Reading the Theory of Ops while studying the schematic will teach you more than 24 hours a day spent on the forum.

One last note, at the risk of offending: I prefer to keep forum-related stuff in the forum, as my e-mail address is used for business. Thanks!
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

(This post was edited by Barry777 on Jun 6, 2010, 8:45 PM)

heviarti
User

Jun 6, 2010, 11:06 PM

Post #8 of 20 (3827 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barry777] Need pointers RCA VGT650 [In reply to] Can't Post

If I knew for sure who to go to to get three or five coffee cans of assorted caps, I'd go to replacing caps. Something tells me it would be a big pain in the back end to go in and read all the caps and order 'em individually.

There's both an SL-5600, and an SL-5700 up on ebay. One of them looks vaguely like my Zenith, but some of the controls are moved around, and the display looks a bit narrower... Any word from your cross reference on Magnavox VJ8220BR01?

What would you look at for screwy video output?

I used to work with a technician that used to work for Sony. He was a great tech, but a horrible human being. I picked up a few things. I'd love to have the service and owners manuals for all these (especially the VO-2610) but at $25-35 a piece, and not having an option for remote payment, my options are a bit limited. My not being independently wealthy is a big reason why I do most of my own work on everything.

I apologize, I thought maybe the extremely bizarre tape might have been a little OT for the forum, as well as the A/V amp debugging. Still not sure how I'm gonna test the voltage that little pot with it getting red hot so quickly. But, as off on a tangent as I can get, I was a little worried about the moderators getting bugged about the OT thing. I'm also limited to a smartphone, and a given text entry buffer size, which I am pushing right now.

If you do go back into repair, let me know. I'd like someone better than me to go through my quadraphonic, especially somebody who might have some knobs and buttons for it.

jts1957
Veteran

Jun 6, 2010, 11:22 PM

Post #9 of 20 (3826 views)
Shortcut

RF Modulator. Or try outputting A/V to the TV.Smile

Barry777
User

Jun 7, 2010, 12:43 AM

Post #10 of 20 (3823 views)
Shortcut

Hi Buck,

I finally started cut-and-pasting your questions into Word and sliding it over to the other screen to make it easier to reply to your messages. First, I wouldn't worry about posting too much stuff on here, as that is what forums are for. As long as the posts are on topic and free of malice, I've never had any trouble on any forums.

To answer your questions/discussions in order: You'll need most or all standard values at one time or another when recapping, so I would simply order 100, 500 or 1000 of each value. As a general guide, I stock .1 uF, .33 uF, .47 uF, .68 uF, 1 uF, 2.2 uF, 3.3 uF, 4.7 uF, 5 uF, 6.8 uF, 8.2 uF, 10 uF, 22 uF, 33 uF, 47 uF, 68 uF, 75 uF, 82 uF, 100 uF, 220 uF, 330 uF, 470 uF, 560 uF, 680 uF, 750 uF, 820 uF and 1000 uF. To keep stock easy to manage, I buy all values at 50 volts or 63 volts. You'll notice that these standard values are the same for resistors, substituting ohms for uF. In almost all cases, a 63 volt cap will work fine where a 16 volt was used (example) and will last longer. The "experts" will tell you that a 16 volt cap has a different ESR than a higher voltage cap, but I've never had a problem. These guys are probably engineers, and we lowly techs go behind them and install multiple mods to make the unit actually work after they so expertly design them.

When recapping, I always put a magic marker dot on each one as soon as it's soldered in for two reasons: So I don't replace it again, and so I can tell at a glance whether I've already recapped any given board. The more of each value you buy, the less they cost per cap. Just one tiny example: One cap costs 15 cents at Digi-Key, but 1000 of them costs $27. This reduces the price per cap from 15 cents to just under 3 cents. I use Digi-Key and Mouser. Forget - I repeat - forget Radio Shack (or any local hangout) for parts - it's more frustration that it's worth in this day and age. Even their connectors are cheap and go intermittent in a short time, and their selection of parts has been reduced to a tiny handful to make room for more cell phone accessories, and so they can hire know-nothing teenage girls to work behind the counter.

On the Magnavox, my book crosses the VJ8220 to: Panasonic PV-1100, JC Penney 686-5001, Philco V-1100, Quasar VH-5010, RCA VCT-201, VCT-300, VCT-310, VDT-201 and Sylvania VC-2500.

"Screwy video output" can be hundreds of things both electronic and mechanical, thus reinforcing my suggestion to dive into those books :-) It sounds like you need a tuner alignment, video alignment or both. Also, the RF modulator box could be off peak, reducing the signal enough to bury the sync pulses in noise. Any machine that age with so much discrete analog circuitry would need to be aligned to perform properly - and it likely would benefit from a full recap job. A full alignment requires test equipment and the service manual, and no amount of playing around will fix that. A quick-and-dirty check of your video heads can be done by gently rubbing a fingertip over them. If you don't feel them protruding a little, they're very worn as they need to actually penetrate into the tape a bit, rather than just "see" it as in the case of an audio head. I can understand the lack of spare cash (as I think we all experience), and service manuals are quite expensive in my opinion. If I had to choose only one book, I would probably go with the service manual for my favorite machine - it's that helpful - and glean the rest of my knowledge from Google searches and such. In fact, the many websites devoted to basic electronics tend to be more concise and real-world than any book I've picked up - and I have literally hundreds of electronics books. On diagnosing your screwy video, it would be helpful to understand exactly how the video is formed and processed, then how each component contributes to the output. Once you know all that garbage, it can take many hours of thought, analysis, schematic-studying and experimentation to finally determine the problem. In many cases, you arrive at the solution by knowing what's NOT the problem. Remember Apollo 13, "What do we have on the spacecraft that's good?".

Not to be insulting, but you seem to zero in on very old equipment that needs much more work than you have the resources for (mainly test equipment and service information). When you can get a slightly newer unit that needs only minor and routine mechanical atttention for $15 at a thrift shop or yard sale, why drive yourself crazy trying to nurse the ancient stuff back to health? Just a gentle tip - that very old gear won't be fixed by changing a part or tweaking a pot; it will require a full alignment (minimum) and a complete recap to even have a chance at performing properly again. For an alignment, you need at least one RF generator, a good scope, a video generator, a few Tentel gauges, and sometimes special jigs and setups created by the manufacturer for performing one adjustment for that one model only. If the faces are greenish or purplish, then you'll need a vectorscope for the color circuits. Doing extensive work on a VCR that age is quite an undertaking, and only a well-equipped shop would be set up to handle it. In short, you would need to put out at least $1000 to have the necessary gear to align a VCR - and that's talking current USED prices for the equipment and gauges. VCR's are something you generally can't tweak "by ear" because of the critical synchronization of some circuits, though you can usually adjust the guide posts and A/C head by simply watching the screen and listening to the output. But that is mainly just to clear up a minor tracking problem or muddy audio.

On testing the voltage going to that trimpot in your receiver - simply remove it from the board and probe its connection points on the board. I'm sure you'll find some DC voltage that shouldn't be there. Heck, the unit might even still work without the pot and you're off the hook! Lots of components are only there for temperature stability, noise suppression, bias, etc. If the unit will still work without it, what the heck? I can't tell you how many times I've bypassed a nuisance protection circuit and lived with the "pop" when you turn it on - on my own stuff of course.

You don't want ME working on your stuff - I'm the most expensive independent tech I know of. I've done most of my work for classic car owners, who are already spending anywhere from $25,000 to $100,000 restoring their ride. A few hundred bucks extra to fix the radio is nothing to them. Thus, my minimum to even set a customer's unit on my bench is $150, and my flat rate to repair and recap a 4 channel home receiver would be somewhere in the $400 range. I do what any other business does - find out what makes the most money per time spent, and drop everything else to make more time for it. I don't keep any cosmetic pieces around such as knobs, buttons, faceplates, etc. I'll probably fire the business back up in the next month or two, as I need to come up with megabucks to replace all my plumbing, HVAC ductwork and insulation to try and keep the wife healthy. Found some mold under the house from leaking plumbing, which has gotten into the ductwork, and I'm not one to crawl under the house every few months to fix one thing - it's all coming out and all new stuff going in this summer. When I fire the website back up, it will fully explain my prices and terms, and I'm toying with the idea of including VCR's this time around - but mainly mechanical service that parts are still readily available for. This deal of searching eBay and everywhere else for parts and parts units is not my cup of tea, not to mention the constant clutter and need for organization it creates. When I'm not beng the biggest slob in the world, I'm a neat freak - if that makes any sense!

A quick summary of your situation is that I don't think you have what you need to fix this old stuff, and you should probably look for cheap newer equipment. At the very least, you need to get a few books and the service manual for whatever you're trying to fix. Without that, there's really very little we can realistically do to help you. Sorry, just an experienced observation. I'm definitely not the best VCR tech around, but I know enough to know when I'm wasting my time. I think you might be wasting yours, given how much less you have to work with than I do at this point.
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

(This post was edited by Barry777 on Jun 7, 2010, 2:42 AM)

heviarti
User

Jun 7, 2010, 5:38 AM

Post #11 of 20 (3818 views)
Shortcut

Here's a pic of my working setup:

http://s586.photobucket.com/albums/ss306/heviarti/?action=view&current=myrack.jpg

You can see my Sony VO-2610 in the top left, and my Beta on the right. I'm using an old Sony audio tape switch to feed audio to the home theater system on top of the VTR. Hopefully I'll be getting a VO-4800 with a tape tomorrow.

I see you've never been on THR. mods there are a little on the totalitarian side. I just figured amps and tape players and stereos would be off topic enough to get a thread axed.

Be nice if somebody offered a 1000 assortment. If I ordered 1000 of each size I could have 27000 caps for the low low price of $729. Ricardo always said you could use the same farrad value at an equal or higher voltage and it would work. I spent *many* hours stripping components off scrap boards. As good a tech as he is he never could figure out what is wrong with my equalizer. (bottom right, audio rack)

The guy at the local radio shack is not very customer service oriented. I go there to buy co-ax or RCA cables... sometimes a CB antenna. He did have kind of a bimbo working there... She looked just like Fairuza Balk, which I commented on and ticked her off "she's b@&*$y" Never mind when The Craft showed up on HBO I didn't go to school for a week....

Thanks for the cross-ref. I'll copy that off and seach ebay and craigslist. If I can get a new gear (if that's what the problem is) I'd be happier to install one, and send the busted one to Brother Charles to see if he can duplicate it in bronze. Gears shouldn't be made of plastic.

What is are tuner and video alignments? I've never heard of that. If I could have books on any of 'em it'd probably be the VO-2610, because I know the least about it. I've not owned a lot of pro equipment. I know I want more, I just don't know what I'm looking for. I can't go on ebay and search for 'one of them big@&* '80s tv cameras with the big frickin Chewbacca belt of batteries' *I just hit my text entry buffer*

heviarti
User

Jun 7, 2010, 5:58 AM

Post #12 of 20 (3817 views)
Shortcut

I have a bunch of those moments where I see a piece of machinery and realize it's purpose and exclaim 'hey, it's one'a them things!' even if I've never seen one before. Ask my great uncle... I was trying to harvest seed from a native plant and sat down and proceeded to basically design the scaled down innards of a John Deere combine before I'd ever seen anything further in than the feederhouse. He was fairly surprised. That being said, there's a glut of Sony SVO-1630s up on ebay. Is this a decent pro machine, to fit with your suggestion of going pro? I should have another 3/4 recorder here soon... A portable. How I just have to find the camera to hook to it. It also likes to eat tapes, but if I recall I can fix that by roughing up the clutch on the pull up side. If payout is driving and pull up is slipping that would account for tape in the mechanism. I need to come up with a more elegant A/V distribution switch.

I'm suddenly very tired.

Barry777
User

Jun 7, 2010, 12:41 PM

Post #13 of 20 (3803 views)
Shortcut

When you look at your circuit board(s) and see all those trimpots and tiny metal boxes with slotted or Allen-wrench looking slugs that can be adjusted, you can probably guess that they all have to be adjusted a certain way - this is what alignment is. It's usually a very involved process requiring some fancy test equipment and a few special plastic or ceramic alignment tools, as anything made of steel will affect an adjustable coil's parameters just by being close to it.

Before the days of microprocessor and software control (thus eliminating the need for alignment in late-model gear), these old discrete analog circuits had a tendency to drift as the unit aged. Also, since most components have a 10 to 20 percent tolerance, they need to have some adjustable components to allow you to fine-tune the circuits for perfect operation. Almost all older electronic equipment has provisions for aligning the circuits - just look for parts with screwdriver or Allen type slots on the circuit boards. Warning - do not try to adjust them, even turning them a tiny bit and thinking you can put it back where it was. Some adjustments are extremely sensitive and have such a narrow "sweet spot", you'll never get it back without the proper test equipment.

In the case of a VCR, you have electronic alignment AND mechanical alignment. The "video alignment" involves both, as you have slots on the guide posts to adjust them, plus there are 3 adjustable screws on the A/C head. Even the tightness of the tension band (the felt strip around the supply reel) is part of the alignment process. In some cases, alignment is done by trying several different parts until you find the one that works - but this is relatively rare.

When you adjust the height and tilt of an audio head to sharpen up the treble, you're performing a crude "audio alignment".

If the TUNER needs alignment, you're probably screwed as this is an extemely delicate operation, and normally not covered even in the service manual. Back in the old days, there was a service called PTS Electronics (Professional Tuner Service) that all the shops sent tuners to for alignment.

There is one alignment adjustment that is on the front panel - the tracking control. This control fine-tunes the drum servo circuit to accomodate tapes that were recorded on another machine. The fine tuning control on an older TV is also an "alignment" adjustment, fine-tuning the RF and mixer-oscillator circuits. But in order for these controls to have the proper range, internal alignment needs to be pretty close to perfect, and 5 years of age and use can easily throw off the alignment. 20 years of sitting around without being used can completely mess up the alignment.

I'll try to find some alignment instructions in digital form to send you, when I get home from work. You'll see what I mean by needing some fancy test equipment. Most VCR alignment procedures number anywhere between 15 and 30 pages. In many cases, you find an elusive problem by finding out what circuit won't align properly.

Barry777
User

Jun 8, 2010, 3:39 AM

Post #14 of 20 (3798 views)
Shortcut

Buck,

If I could figure out how to isolate 20 or 30 pages of a PDF file, I could e-mail you the alignment procedure for one of my VCR's - but unfortunately I can't, and the entire manual is in the hundreds of MB - compared to a 16 MB limit with AOL e-mail. Sorry, but I do have a consolation prize:

www.mrbetamax.com This guy has the coolest VCR website in existence, with tons and tons of pictures and descriptions of detailed repair procedures. He only does Betamax, but VHS is a walk in the park after checking out this stuff. When you reach the website, click on the tab that says "Beta Refurbishing" and plan to spend a few hours learning stuff. Enjoy!

(This post was edited by Barry777 on Jun 8, 2010, 3:41 AM)

heviarti
User

Jun 8, 2010, 4:36 AM

Post #15 of 20 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Well Barry, for once maybe I can help you. Open Office has PDF authoring tools. and if it's not write protected you should be able to copy and paste the relevant pages to another pdf, or save as another file and remove the other pages.

If you had the following choices, which would you choose?

Panasonic NV 8500
Panasonic AG 1970
Panasonic AG 5700
Sony SVO-1630
Panasonic AG DS850P (digital display doesn't show, bad backlight maybe?)

There's a bigger Panasonic, but it's $200

I'll check that site out. Hopefully I can make something of it on my palm.

Right now my main VCR is a little mitsubishi. I like it, but it has that energystar crud in it, and wants to turn off when it's being used as a video pass through. It's got the dial like a lot of the pro models, and quite a few features, but it's still consumer grade.

Barry777
User

Jun 8, 2010, 1:02 PM

Post #16 of 20 (3789 views)
Shortcut

That is a flourescent display, no backlighting involved. If you really want my advice, go with a unit that already works and pay the extra money. You're not currently set up to do much more than minor mechanical maintenance, and you'll be right back on here asking how to fix it without having even the most basic test equipment to do it with - pretty much a waste of your time and ours.

Most pro units are mainly direct drive, so there won't be the easy belt and tire fixes, and less likelihood of being able to diagnose a problem simply by watching it try to operate. You really, really, REALLY need to learn more about electronics and spend that money on some books and cheap, basic test equipment if you expect to do anything with these machines. If you have the money to buy another VCR, do us all a favor and spend it on something that will really help you - a few books and a cheap audio scope. Learn how to really get into this stuff.

heviarti
User

Jun 8, 2010, 2:42 PM

Post #17 of 20 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Well, I called Dan yesterday afternoon and already have a TBC on the way. I kind of want a better machine than the mitsu to feed the video to the TBC with. I also think I found an answer to my component tuner, which would mean I would be able to pull certain pieces of equipment out of my chain. There's also a possibility it might hook to my VO-2610 with one of the proprietary connectors. I'd throw you a link, but I want to make sure I have it bought before I post the info on the forum.

I have been looking at that site you linked me to, but I can only view it with opera mini, which is very prone to locking.

I also looked at the JVC you suggested, but the least expensive unit was $650. If I had that kind of cash I'd pick up one of the Hitachi Ultravisions that are all over Craigslist right now, as well as fixing the right knuckle bearing on my Ford. Or alternately, have you go through that Pioneer of mine when you open your business back up.

I will say after looking at both of the units you suggested, I like the 822 better.

I was kind of leery of the one with the display that doesn't light too. However, I mentioned it because I figured if it was an easy fix you'd say so, also that unit is the only one that said it had a time code generator/reader. As much as little incrementing numbers in the corner of the screen annoy me, a gen/reader would be nice to have.

I'll get a scope just as soon as I am set up to do the job I'm trying to do. And the books. I will say my volt meter ain't much tool, but I did manage to test the Hall effect sensor on the other machine with it. Best $20 I ever spent.

I'd talk more, but I must go out and weedeat then spray the ditch lines.

Barry777
User

Jun 8, 2010, 9:14 PM

Post #18 of 20 (3784 views)
Shortcut

You can find an 822 for between $100 to $150 if you have the patience to wait for the right seller. Since VHS machines in general aren't very much in demand (Beta is the current "cult classic"), these are often passed over. In fact, I got one of mine for 99 cents or 9.99, can't remember which. Of course, the shipping is around $60 and you're best off making your own box which will cost $40 to ship to the seller. Trust me, no one knows how to pack these 50 pound monsters without smashing the front panel and controls.

I took the liberty of making a list of what you would need for the most basic VCR repairs, in order of importance.

1. Most important - the service manual for your unit. Without it, you're just guessing at everything, most of which is too squirrelly to adjust by experimentation.

2. A back tension gauge. For VHS and Beta, you want the Tentel T2-H7-UM. These cost $425 new, but you can find a good used one for a little over $100 usually. Without proper back tension, you'll either have a jittery picture or excess tape and video head wear (too loose or too tight). Back tension is fairly critical, and is probably the adjustment you'll want to make most often. There are also things called "torque meters" which are basically VHS tapes with built-in tension gauges instead of tape - but I have 2 of them and prefer to measure tension manually with the Tentel. Tentels are universal, whereas torque meters are generally made for one specific brand.

3. A cheap oscilloscope with external triggering capability. An alignment tape would also help, but a commercially recorded movie with wide audio range and lots of treble (music video) will work fine also. The scope is for adjusting the entry and exit envelope for tracking (observed on the scope), and will come in handy for hundreds of other chores once you get used to using one. If you have a VCR that works but you have to have the tracking control way off center, you need to perform the envelope adjustments. The most common need for the scope is very low frequency, so pretty much anything with triggering is fine. Later, it will become absolutely essential for finding out where you're losing a signal - especially in audio equipment. Very popular starter scopes are ones made by B & K. Just make sure it has a "triggering" control so you can make the wave stand still, or you'll drive yourself crazy.

Those are the absolute minimum needed for the most basic service. To perform more complete service like video alignment, you'll also need:

1. Video generator with NTSC Color bars, Stairstep, Modulated Stairstep, Multiburst and Sweep waveforms. These are required to achieve things like a clear, sharp picture, proper color balance, and to supplement the mechanical alignment we just went through. The Sencore VA62, or even the VA-48, are nice for these procedures and around $60 - $100 used. The VA-62 also provides a test pattern to all standard cable channels for testing the tuner. The VA-48 only has the VHF band and 2 user-settable UHF channels. They are both also great for adjusting your TV picture, and in fact were originally designed for TV work.

2. A Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzer, usually found for around $100, often without the cables and test tape. But you can sometimes find one WITH all that stuff for about $150. This instrument provides a substitute video head signal (so you don't waste hours troubleshooting a unit that has bad video heads), Luminace, Chroma and Audio test signals, various drive signals for the luminance, color and headswitching circuits, built-in color bars (but not NTSC standard), a built-in 0 to 15 volt power supply, a built-in digital voltmeter, and the best feature of all: An automatic test of both the drum and capstan servo circuits (which require a very special tet tape, available only with this instrument). When you have screwy video, rolling, regularly-timed noise bands or interference, the first thing you need to find out is whether it's in the adjustments, a servo failure, or both. This unit provides a quick and complete test of the servos by simply connecting A/V cables and playing the test tape. You find out in seconds if the servos are okay, thereby eliminating a MAJOR part of the VCR as suspect.

3. A frequency counter, needed to adjust the 3.58 MHz color oscillator and a few other things. Freq counters are cheap, usually around $50 used.

4. A cheap audio signal generator, but the above gear does provide crude single-frequency audio.

With all this equipment, you can perform about 90% of all needed servicing. Any problem that requires more fancy equipment probably isn't worth trying to fix. If you buy just the first set of equipment, that will cover roughly 60% of all VCR's you're likely to run into, as most will need mechanical attention. The electronics portion tends to hold up much better than the mechanical over the years. Of course, the older the machines are, the more of both parts you'll have trouble with.

Keep in mind that the prices on used test equipment can vary widely. Many eBay sellers "really think they have something" and will try to get megabucks for something you can find for a tenth as much from another seller if you wait long enough. My 822 (VCR) can be found for as little as $10, or as much as several hundred dollars - in the exact same age and working condition. The same goes for test equipment. BIG HINT: Test equipment is something you want to perform perfectly every time, so make sure it's in good operating condition. Nothing is as frustrating as troubleshooting for hours, only to find that the problem is with the test gear.

From here on in, I'll spend as much time as you want answering questions about assembling your workbench - but you might find me backing off from this elusive and mysterious activity of troubleshooting without the necessary equipment. Hope you understand.

heviarti
User

Jun 9, 2010, 3:59 AM

Post #19 of 20 (3776 views)
Shortcut

vansci123
New User

Jul 23, 2010, 9:31 AM

Post #20 of 20 (3747 views)
Shortcut

A cheap audio signal generator, but the above gear does provide crude single-frequency audio.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)