Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
Panasonic NV SJ530 tape speed problem

tejasnaidu
New User

May 19, 2010, 8:13 AM

Post #1 of 6 (2016 views)
Shortcut
Panasonic NV SJ530 tape speed problem Can't Post

i just purchased a second hand panasonic NV-SJ530 vcr. Problem is when i insert prerecorded LP speed tape, it does not detect the LP mode and plays in SP mode. Tried various tapes still same problem. Also SP playback speed is not proper. The audio is either fast or slow indicating servo mechanism not controlling playback speed. Control head is fine since tape counter is working. Temp disconnected control head ribbon cable. VCR works same as before except the tape counter.

I have another panasonic VCR NV SJ230 that works fine with all tapes. Only the above one has problem.

jts1957
Veteran

May 19, 2010, 8:26 AM

Post #2 of 6 (2014 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tejasnaidu] Panasonic NV SJ530 tape speed problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Check your power supply for proper voltage and no excessive ripple (electrolytics?), otherwise you've already pinpointed the suspect circuit area.Wink

-------------------------

tejasnaidu
New User

May 19, 2010, 11:55 AM

Post #3 of 6 (2008 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Panasonic NV SJ530 tape speed problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Before checking the PS for problems, i removed the backup lithium memory backup battery. Reinstalled the battery.
Now when the tape is inserted, the tape is seated the spool spins 5-6 rounds and tape is ejected. The tape is not wound around the head. The tape simply is seated, spool wound and ejected.

Removed the assembly and found mode switch in wrong position. cannot move the gear assembly above the switch to proper position by hand. Removed battery and reinstalled. Same problem.

How to bring the gear mechanism to proper position. The arrow markings are 90 deg apart.

jts1957
Veteran

May 19, 2010, 4:35 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2005 views)
Shortcut

Let us know when you make up your mind about what problem it has.

It can't have tape speed problems without loading a tape.Crazy

-------------------------

tejasnaidu
New User

May 19, 2010, 5:38 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2001 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Panasonic NV SJ530 tape speed problem [In reply to] Can't Post

The original problem was tape speed. Before i could check the PS i thought removing backup battery might erase processor memory contents and solve the problem. But it has caused second problem of mode switch.

tejasnaidu
New User

May 19, 2010, 6:41 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1999 views)
Shortcut

Removed battery again for 1 hour. Reinstalled. Mode switch problem solved. Back to tape speed problem. Will check power supply.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.17 s on (CGI/1.1)