Preserving rubber parts (pinch rollers)

Barry777
User

Jan 16, 2010, 7:41 PM

Post #1 of 3 (3643 views)
Shortcut
Preserving rubber parts (pinch rollers) Can't Post

Hi guys,

Anyone know the best way to keep rubber soft and gripping over periods of several years in storage? I was surprised to see that many consumer-grade Beta machines appear to use the same size pinch roller as my professional Sony SLO-1800. Thus, I would like to know how to preserve them for when my main Beta squeeze needs the roller replaced. Since many pinch rollers are no longer available (even substitutes from Studio Sound Electronics), it follows that the only rollers I'll ever have for this unit are used ones from other machines.

My initial guess is to keep them in a small container of rubber restorer after removing the outer glaze to let the restorer soak in, but I'm a bit concerned that they could start puffing up after long periods of time in the liquid. If anyone has had any experience successfully preserving rubber products over long periods of time, I sure would like to know. Thanks in advance!
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

(This post was edited by Barry777 on Jan 16, 2010, 7:44 PM)

tejasnaidu
New User

May 19, 2010, 8:34 AM

Post #2 of 3 (3522 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barry777] Preserving rubber parts (pinch rollers) [In reply to] Can't Post

Best way to preserve rubber parts is store them in cool environment. I store all rubber part like belts in the refrigerator. The part will be as good as new for 2 -3 yrs min. Storing it outside will cause rubber to deteriorate or harden.
You can google to see how to store rubber parts.

I store all rubber parts (Electronics/automotive/anything) in the refrigerator. They have stayed intact for many years.

Barry777
User

May 21, 2010, 1:54 PM

Post #3 of 3 (3514 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tejasnaidu] Preserving rubber parts (pinch rollers) [In reply to] Can't Post

Great idea, thank you! I might even go the extra mile and purchase a small frig just for this purpose. That way, it's only opened when a rubber part is needed and there would be less incoming air available to deteriorate the rubber. Thanks again!
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)