Questions - SMPTE Time Code

Barry777
User

Jan 31, 2010, 2:19 AM

Post #1 of 1 (1620 views)
Shortcut
Questions - SMPTE Time Code Can't Post

Hi guys,

I'm just now starting to study advanced editing using time code and have "some" of the required equipment, namely a few professional VCR's with time code generator/readers. What I want to do is synchronize two VCR's with a multitrack audio recorder (cassette or digital) so that I can switch between VCR signals for recording onto a third VCR (such as switching between full-stage views to closeups of the lead guitarist's fingers - signals from two cameras) while using the same audio source integrated with both playback and the one recording VCR's. The final product, of course, would be the combined edited video information with the original audio - without having to dub the audio and suffer the noise and reduced fidelity of a generation of dubbing.

I'm sure this is possible and is a widely used technique in the professional field. My question is, can anyone recommend a good book on using SMPTE Time Code for this purpose, or some fairly specific guidelines based on experience? It seems that operator instructions for my built-in time code devices are very brief, somewhat vague and assume that the operator has experience and knowledge in this area. Well - I don't! Any hints or leads are much appreciated.

Thanks!
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)