Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
HELP: VCR ejects tape right away

BlackIce35
New User

May 4, 2020, 8:35 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2104 views)
Shortcut
HELP: VCR ejects tape right away Can't Post

Toshiba DVR620KU (2012) Rarely used and not even dusty inside.

Hello everyone, so I have a problem and I'm not sure I can fix this so I'm making an attempt for suggestions! See video of problem here: https://youtu.be/cFIHODIXZls

The VCR accepts the tape, brings it to the upper cylinder, then ejects it without reeling the tape back in. So I have to help it back out of the VCR after confirming it's still not working.

I think I've narrowed it down to a few things:
1. It's rarely been used so there's nothing that's worn out.
2. It's very clean inside, nothing really to clean.
3. Mechanically everything is moving fine.
4. I'm guessing it's a sensor: "If the microcontroller were detecting an abnormality, then it would abort instantly but would most likely try to unload the tape before giving up but not in all designs. It is possible that if the expected behavior is not produced by the end/beginning-of-tape sensors during cassette loading, an abort could be initiated. Therefore, these sensors could be suspect. In some cases, the mode switch may be dirty or faulty. A gear may have broken some teeth or slipped a couple of teeth and the timing relationships may be incorrect. There may be a microswitch that is controlled by the cassette basket position and this may be defective or dirty."

So that's what I've narrowed it down to.
Thoughts here?
Thanks

(This post was edited by BlackIce35 on May 5, 2020, 8:38 AM)

jts1957
Veteran

May 6, 2020, 1:08 AM

Post #2 of 5 (2090 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BlackIce35] HELP: VCR ejects tape right away [In reply to] Can't Post

Problem with the problem:

Video unavailable
This video is private.

-------------------------

BlackIce35
New User

May 6, 2020, 4:05 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2085 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] HELP: VCR ejects tape right away [In reply to] Can't Post

Fixed the video setting, thanks for the heads up!

jts1957
Veteran

May 6, 2020, 1:31 PM

Post #4 of 5 (2083 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BlackIce35] HELP: VCR ejects tape right away [In reply to] Can't Post

Study the manual. Pay attention to disassembly/reassembly especially in regards to 'timing.'

Are there any error codes/messages on monitor screen?
Some plastics become brittle with age.
Start by cleaning the MODE switch (SW1512). I forget whether they give enough slack on various jumpers from Main board to VCR Deck, you may have to carefully desolder them, (you will want to do as much as you feel capable of doing while you have access to deck because desoldering/resoldering can be very detrimental to foils if you don't have proper equipment to do it properly.
Also inspect any power supply electrolytic capacitors for bulging or leakage. If have access to ESR meter, you can try that, be aware that any low-resistance parallel path can interfere with proper readings.

https://elektrotanya.com/...egoria=&kat2=all

-------------------------

BlackIce35
New User

May 7, 2020, 1:50 AM

Post #5 of 5 (2071 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] HELP: VCR ejects tape right away [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for the link and the suggestions. I'm going to have to dig in and see what I can do. Otherwise I'll have to find another inexpensive used one!

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)